Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-21-2024, 12:28 PM   #29
neo85

Drives: camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Based on reading recent articles, a used vehicle can be enrolled and will still be enrolled when a new owner buys it. If there have ever been connected services on the car, it may be enrolled.

If you are concerned, it sounds worth checking on. Maybe contact GM to ask about your vehicles.
WTF i bought my camaro used from a non-chevy dealer and never signed up for onstar - do I need to worry about this too?? Did you purchase your car from a Chevy or other GM dealer?
neo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 02:28 PM   #30
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
This just confirms OnStar is not there in the interest of the consumer, but in the interest of GM. By selling information on US, they make more money. It pisses me off they try to sell OnStar as some benefit to us, while taking money behind our backs, essentially. I support that last assertion with the statement that my salesman nor dealership (I bought, new, from a GM dealer) ever expressed any of these kinds of details.

The only thing I'll miss be pulling the module is the remote start.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 03:44 PM   #31
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
This just confirms OnStar is not there in the interest of the consumer, but in the interest of GM. By selling information on US, they make more money. It pisses me off they try to sell OnStar as some benefit to us, while taking money behind our backs, essentially. I support that last assertion with the statement that my salesman nor dealership (I bought, new, from a GM dealer) ever expressed any of these kinds of details.

Very well said.

I think you can still do the remote start from your remote…although I have no idea as I haven’t used remote start in about 5 years.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:17 PM   #32
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellrider View Post
That’s why I pulled the BS onstar board within a couple of weeks of buying my car. They can’t report and sell what they don’t have.
Info on pulling this bullshit board out? It's a bitch on my 19 Z06. Hope the camaro is easier
Old 03-21-2024, 04:33 PM   #33
neo85

Drives: camaro ss
Are there any detailed instructions online on how I can pull the module I have a 17 2SS?
neo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:38 PM   #34
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

An article I read said that GM makes "in the low millions" selling this data about its customers to 3rd parties.

In the grand scheme of a company that makes Billions in profit on an annual basis, a few million bucks is literally pennies in their bucket, something they could have just as easily said, nah, this has the real ability to blow up in our faces, let's not do it.

Sure hope it was worth it. "You consented three times" doesn't go very far with a public who doesn't read fine print, nor should have to, in this case.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM   #35
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I’ll remind everyone again. This isn’t just GM and OnStar. Every company that sells a connected vehicle does this. I’m going through it and reading the fine print on my VW. Even if you don’t sign up for driver monitoring, VW clearly states they will sell your contact information and the list is pretty wide open on who they sell it to,

So yes, this sis a Camaro/GM fan site, but stop acting like it is only GM.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Our data is king and highly valuable. It’s why Facebook and Google are HUGELY profitable without actually selling anything. You need to watch the movie “The Social Dilema”. WE are the product and by we it is our data.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:49 PM   #36
Buellrider

Drives: 2023 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Zob View Post
Info on pulling this bullshit board out? It's a bitch on my 19 Z06. Hope the camaro is easier
Here ya go.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467634
Buellrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:04 PM   #37
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I’ll remind everyone again. This isn’t just GM and OnStar. Every company that sells a connected vehicle does this. I’m going through it and reading the fine print on my VW. Even if you don’t sign up for driver monitoring, VW clearly states they will sell your contact information and the list is pretty wide open on who they sell it to,

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Our data is king and highly valuable. It’s why Facebook and Google are HUGELY profitable without actually selling anything. You need to watch the movie “The Social Dilema”. WE are the product and by we it is our data.
We are the product
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2024, 07:06 PM   #38
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellrider View Post
Thank you much
Old 03-21-2024, 07:10 PM   #39
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

There's data sharing that has financial impact, and data sharing that doesn't.

I don't really care if I get junk mail or solicitations for products or services based on the fact I fit a certain demographic or products I own or buy. I don't care that my ISP or my search engine knows what internet sites I visit. Or that my bank knows where and how much money I spend. Or that an app on my phone tracks my location. That's all very boring data for the most part.

When data sharing has potential financial impact as in the case of a telematics device recording driving habits and directly or indirectly sharing that recording with my insurance company, with whom they are not related, is an issue.

If I truly wasn't able to opt out, then I likely wouldn't have purchased the car. That gets into real murky legal territory. I want GM's assurance that because I have opted out, I will remain opted out, and opting in will require explicit and conscious consent. Not an app refresh, "surprise! You're in again!" or "the last guy opted in, and you bought his car, so you're opted in too!". Consent seems to be the central issue with GM, which is why this is very quickly becoming a much bigger issue. Dealers enrolled their customers without their knowledge, or the "car" is considered enrolled, and a new buyer may or may not know the car is being recorded, etc.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:37 PM   #40
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I checked my account and it was not turned on. Insurance has gone up 35% over the last 3 years but that's due to inflation pressure not because they bought your data that showed you speeding. I am shocked that insurance companies have not required OBD port data tracking just to insure you. If you check your account and it's turned off just cancel it.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:55 PM   #41
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
There's data sharing that has financial impact, and data sharing that doesn't.

I don't really care if I get junk mail or solicitations for products or services based on the fact I fit a certain demographic or products I own or buy. I don't care that my ISP or my search engine knows what internet sites I visit. Or that my bank knows where and how much money I spend. Or that an app on my phone tracks my location. That's all very boring data for the most part.

When data sharing has potential financial impact as in the case of a telematics device recording driving habits and directly or indirectly sharing that recording with my insurance company, with whom they are not related, is an issue.

If I truly wasn't able to opt out, then I likely wouldn't have purchased the car. That gets into real murky legal territory. I want GM's assurance that because I have opted out, I will remain opted out, and opting in will require explicit and conscious consent. Not an app refresh, "surprise! You're in again!" or "the last guy opted in, and you bought his car, so you're opted in too!". Consent seems to be the central issue with GM, which is why this is very quickly becoming a much bigger issue. Dealers enrolled their customers without their knowledge, or the "car" is considered enrolled, and a new buyer may or may not know the car is being recorded, etc.
Trying to make the point, it isn’t just GM. VW has the same service and the same “we provide it to insurance carriers in order to get you better pricing” schtick.

The only issue is as you point out, is the transparency
Old 03-21-2024, 10:08 PM   #42
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
What about company cars? Who pays the bill?
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote