Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Phastek Performance

Old 10-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #183
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Email Monday from dealer:
Your Camaro is needing the Torque Converter. We have ordered one, but they are on national back order. We expect to have one in a week or so. We are waiting on approval on the convertible piece. We have to have additional approval for that since it has been replaced before. There is a note in GMs database that those will break due to someone pushing there to leverage themselves out of the back seat. We are not saying that this is the case with your vehicle, but with that possibility we have to have the additional approval. Thank you for your time. I will update again when I have more news.

Email Wednesday
I wanted to inform you that your vehicle is ready for pick up. The factory would not allow us to replace the torque converter at this time due to there not being an updated part. We have replaced the trans fluid and trans filter. We also replaced the convertible frame cover and motor. This is a redesigned part, and should not have the same issue.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #184
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
WOW!!!

I was just getting ready to setup another appointment to hopefully get the triple flush done, along with some other things. I know that's not really a fix, but what more could they do for me.

Lets hope this 2019 fix is the real deal! I've not had to deal with the shudder much on my 2016, but I'd say a lot of that is b/c I've only put on 5,700 miles since I took ownership in December of 2015. It has shuddered on me a few times and I took it in to the dealership once...a long while back. I wanted the triple flush at that time, but they ended up just telling me they couldn't duplicate it and told me to bring it back if it does it again....I should have fought harder for the triple flush.

Anyways....lets hope this time the solution includes a change to the TCM programming.

I wonder if they will change out the TC regardless, or if they will evaluate your current TC and just do programming if they think it hasn't been under too much "shudder stress"? Who knows

The answer that Al gave to us is the best one he could give without going into a PR nightmare with Camaro enthusiasts.

So is it worth it for me to go in and have my fluid changed anyways, with this coming "soon"? I'm thinking it might be good to have done regardless.

Last edited by KMPrenger; 10-18-2018 at 11:59 AM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #185
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Would be awesome if they take out some of the slip which would not only make these cars quicker and more fun to drive but more reliable.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 AM   #186
18Hotwheels-SS

Drives: 2018 Hotwheels 2SS #117
I have a 2018 and the shudder just started at 4k miles.
2018 Hot Wheels 2SS #117, For Sale
2018 Hot Wheels 2LT Convertible. #506, Still Have
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Long Horn, Still Have
2017 Challenger Hellcat
2008 Challenger SRT8
1970 Camaro RS/Z28, Still Have
1955 Willys CJ3B, Still Have
18Hotwheels-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #187
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Name:  TC_shutter_3.JPG
Views: 5042
Size:  120.4 KB
Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #188
That_Redleg_Guy

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline Edition
Hello, everyone. New forum member, longtime Camaro owner (I'm on my fourth one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hotwheels-SS View Post
I have a 2018 and the shudder just started at 4k miles.
I've been experiencing the A8 shudder. I have a 2018 2SS Redline Edition that I bought brand new in July. I contacted the service department at my local dealership and spoke with the guy who runs their shop (whom I've known for quite a while now). I gave him the service bulletin number that I found thanks to these forums, and he said, "yeah, we've been doing a lot of these, mostly on Silverados."

I'm taking mine in Thursday morning for the triple flush treatment. It seems crazy to me that this is an ongoing issue since the 2015 model year, is affecting vehicles up to the current (2019) model year, and they still haven't come up with a proper solution. I've seen the revised service bulletin that states:

"...A revised service procedure will be released in Q1 of 2019. If the vehicle experiences a repeat shudder condition, this document should be followed again..."

How have GM's engineers not come up with an actual solution to this four year old problem? Why am I taking off work to take my brand new car to the dealership to have a temporary fix applied to a four year old problem? I just paid GM $48,000 for a car that had a known, four year old problem, and now it's up to me to miss work to have a four year old problem addressed. Is GM going to reimburse me for the pay I missed out on because I had to take my brand new car in for an issue that existed for two model years before I bought my car?

I saw somewhere in these forums that someone asked why a class action lawsuit had not been filed already on behalf of everyone who owns any of the 11 affected vehicle models. General Motors had better get this fixed before they find themselves in trouble.

Last edited by That_Redleg_Guy; 10-23-2018 at 09:35 AM.
That_Redleg_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #189
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Redleg_Guy View Post
Hello, everyone. New forum member, longtime Camaro owner (I'm on my fourth one).

I've been experiencing the A8 shudder. I have a 2018 2SS Redline Edition that I bought brand new in July. I contacted the service department at my local dealership and spoke with the guy who runs their shop (whom I've known for quite a while now). I gave him the service bulletin number that I found thanks to these forums, and he said, "yeah, we've been doing a lot of these, mostly on Silverados."

I'm taking mine in Thursday morning for the triple flush treatment. It seems crazy to me that this is an ongoing issue since the 2015 model year, is affecting vehicles up to the current (2019) model year, and they still haven't come up with a proper solution. I've seen the revised service bulletin that states:

"...A revised service procedure will be released in Q1 of 2019. If the vehicle experiences a repeat shudder condition, this document should be followed again..."

How have GM's engineers not come up with an actual solution to this four year old problem? Why am I taking off work to take my brand new car to the dealership to have a temporary fix applied to a four year old problem? I just paid GM $48,000 for a car that had a known, four year old problem, and now it's up to me to miss work to have a four year old problem addressed. Is GM going to reimburse me for the pay I missed out on because I had to take my brand new car in for an issue that existed for two model years before I bought my car?

I saw somewhere in these forums that someone asked why a class action lawsuit had not been filed already on behalf of everyone who owns any of the 11 affected vehicle models. General Motors had better get this fixed before they find themselves in trouble.
Welcome... and yes you can usually find this stuff out here 1st. So glad my new Silverado has the A6 trans and no issues.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #190
Kuwait camaro ss

Drives: Camaro 2ss nightfall grey
i do flush but after 10k it comes again i
Kuwait camaro ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:07 PM   #191
Kuwait camaro ss

Drives: Camaro 2ss nightfall grey
I think GM has lost quality factors and their only interest is money without attention to the customer they are trying to make us pay money instead of repairing the faults within the warranty but unfortunately we will not get a solution together
Kuwait camaro ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:26 PM   #192
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I have a 2016 SS A8.
I felt the shuddering at around 20k. I took it in a few months ago but they couldn't duplicate my issue.
Took it again a few months after it was more noticeable. This time I test drove with the service writer and he was able to duplicate the issue when he went with the tech.
I showed him the TSB and called me that day they were going to go ahead and do the flush procedure. The following day he calls and says the tech talked to tech support and said it was my aftermarket exhaust. Dealership told me to bring it back with factory exhaust and if it did it again with factory exhaust to bring it in. They returned my car on a Friday and Monday morning I took it back to them with factory exhaust. Then they told me their transmission tech is going to be out for a couple of weeks due to an injury. they only have 1 trans tech at this dealership. So I took my car to a different dealership, which the car is in at the moment right now. They were able to duplicate the issue and are performing the flush. I love the car but man, this has been very frustrating. I was without the car for 2 weeks when the starter went bad and they were saying it was my sound system I installed. They insisted it was a battery issue from the aftermarket sound system but it was the starter all along. Then came the rear axle that had the bolts snap off and I was stranded on the freeway. Luckily I was in LA traffic and wasn't moving fast. I just hope this new "fix" in 2019 works. Sorry all for the rant but it's been way too many trips to the dealership when the car only has 26k miles on it.
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #193
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Redleg_Guy View Post

I agree. Its unacceptable that GM failed to fix the problem in four years but continued to sell it anyway.

I accepted that they "fixed" it early 2017 with a new friction modifier but it soon became clear that cars built after the cut off date still have the problem.

I cut my losses and sold my 16 A8 and got a M6. Pretty big hit on a car I custom ordered with every option and the intention to drive 8 years minimum. Camaro is still the best performance bang for the buck ~ quality proposition in my opinion. How they handle this long term however will shape hearts and minds

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #194
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
They have one shot to fix this. Gonna roll with the flush till this magic bullet fix comes out and go from there. If it isn't what they are passing it off as, the SS will go to Vengeance and get fixed properly. I gave them another shot after getting screwed around with the Avalanche in the mid 2000's. My wife's BMW X5 M is a blast to drive, maybe I'll give a BMW car a shot.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #195
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I wonder what the "new fix" will be.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #196
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
Was told by a 33 year tech today the only thing that will fix it is the programming.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote