Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 01-16-2024, 08:15 AM   #197
SOFO

Drives: Camaro Fifty
Why don't you use Onstar's theft protection?
SOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:18 PM   #198
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOFO View Post
Why don't you use Onstar's theft protection?
Because it can be overridden & disabled so easily, within seconds.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:27 PM   #199
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Have you installed the BEM obd port lock yet? If so what do you think?
Here it is. A bit loose but locked. Made of steel and aluminum. Should slow them or deter completely. If you have tools I guess you can bash it off, along with breaking plastic and maybe the obd. Anything helps some

Edit: it fits tight. Not loose. Only loose feel as obd is mounted loose.
Attached Images

Last edited by VR Baron; 01-17-2024 at 09:45 AM.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 06:54 PM   #200
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Here it is. A bit loose but locked. Made of steel and aluminum. Should slow them or deter completely. If you have tools I guess you can bash it off, along with breaking plastic and maybe the obd. Anything helps some
Thanks -looks good. Does it stick out much when installed? Also, do they have a mechanism to get a spare key? I always get nervous locking up important things and having only 1 key lol . . .
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:35 PM   #201
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
Thanks -looks good. Does it stick out much when installed? Also, do they have a mechanism to get a spare key? I always get nervous locking up important things and having only 1 key lol . . .
It doesn’t stick out much more than the wall thickness over the front of the obd. I don’t recall if you can get another key. I think you can if you lost one. You would have to check with them or look on Amazon
Old 01-16-2024, 07:58 PM   #202
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
It doesn’t stick out much more than the wall thickness over the front of the obd. I don’t recall if you can get another key. I think you can if you lost one. You would have to check with them or look on Amazon
OK, order's in
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:53 AM   #203
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
BEM item does appear (visually) to be pretty solid; wouldn't mind hearing about backup keys.

Baron, funny that you first mentioned it seemed loose, because I also noticed that it's the *OBD* thing, itself, that is loose within its mounting hole...I thought I messed something up when I connected my Valentine1 to the "Savvy" OBD-powered adapter.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:07 PM   #204
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
BEM item does appear (visually) to be pretty solid; wouldn't mind hearing about backup keys.

Baron, funny that you first mentioned it seemed loose, because I also noticed that it's the *OBD* thing, itself, that is loose within its mounting hole...I thought I messed something up when I connected my Valentine1 to the "Savvy" OBD-powered adapter.
Yeah I thought was loose. It is a bit in forward rearward movement but it’s secure. A freind said they just sold out to.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:17 AM   #205
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
This OBD lock is selling for $24. It is a 3D-printer product, but it seems adequate for my purposes so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTW92ZPS...language=en-US

It also allows some front to back movement, so I was thinking about inserting a thin plastic shim to see if I can eliminate the slack.
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:59 AM   #206
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
This OBD lock is selling for $24. It is a 3D-printer product, but it seems adequate for my purposes so far:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTW92ZPS...language=en-US

It also allows some front to back movement, so I was thinking about inserting a thin plastic shim to see if I can eliminate the slack.
A freind had to buy that one as the BEM one is out of stock he said. Should work fine. The BEM unit has a bit of back and forth movement but with fitment is to be expected. A shim is a good idea. Would need to be thin though.
Old 01-19-2024, 12:41 PM   #207
DamonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonZ28 View Post
I reached out to this distributor in Canada, in regards to the Keetec Rider system. They said they don't currently have any distributors in the US but are working on it. They will ship it, along with installation instructions, to the USA.
The Canadian distributor just emailed this afternoon, and said the Keetec Rider system may cause the remote start to not work. They are going to test on a GMC Yukon and will let me know.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
Old 01-20-2024, 09:50 AM   #208
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:

I'd be inclined to put the lock on a dummy plug. That way, if they do any damage trying to break it open... that's okay. If you lose the key, also okay. And it tends to make it the focus/target by falsely advertising it as something worth protecting, distracting from the real port.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 10:10 AM   #209
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
I'd be inclined to put the lock on a dummy plug. That way, if they do any damage trying to break it open... that's okay. If you lose the key, also okay. And it tends to make it the focus/target by falsely advertising it as something worth protecting, distracting from the real port.
Yes good idea. And I may do that as well. Just not sure how long the stock one and its harness length is to move a hard to find area. It would be nice if there was something to keep them from getting into the car in the first place. Like a Rottweiler..lol
Old 01-20-2024, 05:15 PM   #210
DamonZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
I like that idea as well. Might have to give that a try.

My Camaro Journal