Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-27-2021, 02:17 AM   #127
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
exhaust is overrated when all it gets you in many places in harassed by cops.

the electric Camaro will sell just as well as the ice Camaro.... which is to say probably not enough to avoid the doomsday talks about its future every year.

not unless they stop listening to the old guard like they did with the current design and evolve the Camaro into something more than a few thousand people want.
Exhaust is overrated? And what old gurad are you talking about? I don't get your point here. I think most members with a v8 Camaro will disagree with your exhaust comment.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:00 AM   #128
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
Exhaust is overrated? And what old gurad are you talking about? I don't get your point here. I think most members with a v8 Camaro will disagree with your exhaust comment.
We've established a long time ago he's not quite in the right place for him here.

It's like going to a Rolling Stones concert and saying "man, Keith Richards isn't quite the best guitar player for this band"
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:20 AM   #129
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
If they create a EV Camaro, I would pray that Al O. Would fight to keep an SS V8 or at least V6. Even if you have to barrow parts from the Corvette.

My proposal:

Camaro EV and RS- RWD or AWD, 300 HP for the kids. (Coming from a 26 year old lol).

Camaro SS – LT2 V8 with the 8Speed auto from the Corvette. Or at least a V6. Please no turbo.

I get saving the environment and crap. Although, leave our V8 ICE vehicles alone. At least leave the Camaro, Corvette and Silverado with an ICE option.

Let the norms enjoy their EVs and SUVs. I want to add another Camaro to my garage sometime in the next 5 years.

What do y’all think with my thoughts?
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #130
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
If they create a EV Camaro, I would pray that Al O. Would fight to keep an SS V8 or at least V6. Even if you have to barrow parts from the Corvette.

My proposal:

Camaro EV and RS- RWD or AWD, 300 HP for the kids. (Coming from a 26 year old lol).

Camaro SS – LT2 V8 with the 8Speed auto from the Corvette. Or at least a V6. Please no turbo.

I get saving the environment and crap. Although, leave our V8 ICE vehicles alone. At least leave the Camaro, Corvette and Silverado with an ICE option.

Let the norms enjoy their EVs and SUVs. I want to add another Camaro to my garage sometime in the next 5 years.

What do y’all think with my thoughts?
I can live with that. Everyone’s happy then.

I’d still convert mine to a 6 speed manual though
Old 04-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #131
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
No , just no.
Uh, yes.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:02 AM   #132
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Improving election integrity should not be a controversial issue! Foil hats are looking good.
Agreed, but that is not an issue and has been clearly demonstrated over and over and over again.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 09:27 AM   #133
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
EVs are the future, including performance cars. and the trend is irreversible. It will take about 25 years for a complete transition, but eventually ICE vehicles will be an oddity on the road...you hardly see any 25 year old cars on the road around compared to newer models.
Time will tell how well that remains true.

Quote:
The range anxiety issue for EVs has already been solved
In theory, anyway.

Quote:
The number of recharge stations and their location is on its way to being solved, though 90% of EV charging is done at home. Electrical capacity will also be solved. Why? Because of demand. Human ingenuity doesn't operate in a vacuum disconnected from the real world.
Recharging at home works best if you own your own house or condo. Not so well for those living in apartments or urban rowhouses. If the hardcore environmentalists have their way, electrical capacity won't be coming from coal, oil, natural gas, or nuclear.

Quote:
Anyone driving a Camaro today who opposes EVs, just because, is a driving contradiction. Vastly improved specific power output, far lower emissions
I'll give you the lower emissions part, at least as far as lower mobile emissions is concerned, but just how do you measure the 'specific power output' of an electric motor? Power output compared to what? Never mind that power is not the only aspect of motor vehicles that matters.

Quote:
fully computerized systems/connectivity (multiple CPUs)
That's easily as big a negative for some folks as it is a benefit for others. Driving is a whole lot more fun when it gets you away from the rest of the world and its apparent focus on technology.

Quote:
and much better collision protection for its occupants
Better collision protection is not the exclusive province of EVs. Actually, I'm not exactly convinced that a skateboard chassis architecture is as good, structurally, at any given vehicle weight.

Quote:
Since they continue to drive them, the real reason for their opposition to EVs isn't the concept, it's the nostalgia for the good 'ol days.
If that's all you can see, perhaps you're missing the point. Not everybody is as willing to roll over and accept driving nothing but mindless transportation appliances. Sure, they'll get the job done. But at what cost to subjectives such as enjoyment? Current EV straight line performance is at best fleeting excitement, which isn't the same thing.

Norm
Old 04-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #134
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Agreed, but that is not an issue and has been clearly demonstrated over and over and over again.
How exactly do you know though? Don't even tell me they did. They did not do a REAL investigation. Everything got swept under the rug without even 5 minutes looking into it. Hmmmmm.

It's only not an issue because folks like you are afraid of what will be dug up if they actually did a real investigation. Heck, there's corruption at every level if you really want to look at everything.

They spent months going after him twice for stupid stuff that meant nothing, but they won't spend the same amount of time investigating every sacred American's vote? Are you SURE your vote counted? How sure are you?

Why not have a thorough investigation? What are you afraid of?
Old 04-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #135
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
What people enjoy and why they enjoy it isn’t the same for everyone.
And that's precisely why some of the EV proponents here need to tone their preaching down. Whether they like it or not, or can even accept it, not everybody will gladly fall into lock-step with their way of thinking.

Norm
Old 04-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #136
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
So if there's no longer a v8 but just 6 and 4 cylinder versions they don't count as a Camaro? Genuine question by the way because some people like to look down upon the lower displacement cars but they still technically are a Camaro.
If the V8 was to go away I know I wouldn't think twice about getting a sixxer. Even in preference to an electric Camaro that would outrun the current ZL1.

Make mine NA, with an M6 transmission, please.

Norm
Old 04-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #137
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
How exactly do you know though? Don't even tell me they did. They did not do a REAL investigation. Everything got swept under the rug without even 5 minutes looking into it. Hmmmmm.

It's only not an issue because folks like you are afraid of what will be dug up if they actually did a real investigation. Heck, there's corruption at every level if you really want to look at everything.

They spent months going after him twice for stupid stuff that meant nothing, but they won't spend the same amount of time investigating every sacred American's vote? Are you SURE your vote counted? How sure are you?

Why not have a thorough investigation? What are you afraid of?
No one is scared, rather, astonished.
Let me know what the “cyber ninjas” dig up.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 10:00 AM   #138
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
No one is scared, rather, astonished.
That still doesn't answer why you don't want a real investigation.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #139
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I have owned a number of Corvettes and Camaros over the years and I totally get the thrill of rowing your own gears and listening to the sweet V8 soundtrack. I bought a Tesla Model 3 Performance a couple years ago to see what all the fuss is about. In my experience if your are a true muscle car fan then yes you will miss the vibration, sound, rowing your own gears, etc. however these performance electric cars are able to entertain in other ways.

For example, the instant torque you get from a performance EV is pretty remarkable and satisfying. I have never been thrown back in the seat of a car like my Tesla. The passing power is effortless, it really feels like you have an unfair advantage when on the street when your torque curve looks like a square wave. Good or bad, there is no drama either. The traction control is much more advanced with electric motors, you just plant your foot and you rocket forward. And a 300 mile charge costs about $5 in electricity. The Tesla M3P also has a fully customizable Track Mode with granular control of the stability control and front rear bias so you can drift if you want. Regen braking is also pretty cool once you get used to it. I rarely have to use the friction brakes on the street as the motors will bring you to a full stop with brake hold. Some guys say they actually appreciate the fact there is no exhaust noise since they can actually hear what the tires are doing on track.

I will surely miss a true ice based muscle car but lately we have so much crap tech that gets in the way. If we only had a choice between a Camaro with start stop V8 with part time V4 and tons of nannies or an less restrictive EV Camaro I know which one I am picking. Let’s hope GM gets it right.
I seriously doubt that any EV Camaro would be any less restrictive. More likely with all that huge torque at and just off of 0 rpm, it'll be even more stringently nannified . . . you specifically spoke of "traction control [being] much more advanced with electric motors". Far as I'm concerned, that's a downside.

Regen braking is a whole 'nother topic. It may be OK for those drivers who either brake gently or under panic situations, but it won't be as good for those who use their car's brakes at any level in between, including threshold braking. Needing yet more electronics/programming to sort out the handoff from regen to friction brings a downside or two of its own.

Norm
Old 04-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #140
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalfutur View Post
If anyone here thinks they're going to convince GM to manufacture a 7th gen ICE Camaro, it ain't happening...GM has already stated that the Blackwing Cadillacs are the last of their ICE kind.

Which means that your days of driving a Camaro are finite, unless you plan to treat it as a show car for your length of ownership, otherwise TCO will eventually become cost prohibitive.

Us EV-zealots will adapt, because we already want to.
Fixed.

Norm