Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-26-2023, 09:23 PM   #1
Jaybub

Drives: 2020 2SS
Was the Nut Fixing Front Suspension Clunk Noise Already Replaced on 2020s?

I'm having a clunking noise when going over bumps coming from the front driver side tire area. It's the same clunking noise described in Bulletin "PIC6276B Clunk Noise From Front Suspension At Low Speeds" and thread "WARNING: Front end Clunk - Loose Sway Bar Endlinks (please check yours) - CAMARO6" (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489428)

The TSB fixes the issue by using a new nut (PN 11548382). My concern is that the TSB only covers model years 2016-2018 and I have a 2020. So I'm wondering, did the 2020s already come with this nut? Any ideas on how I can find this out?

I have a dealer appointment in a few days. I'm wondering if I should even show the service department the TSB or bring it up since my model year is outside the bulletin range. And if the 2020s already come with this nut, there's probably no point in pointing out the TSB.

Thanks!
Jaybub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 10:56 PM   #2
MyNameIs

Drives: Camaro SS
Since its a TSB....can the dealer charge you to address it or fix it?
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 11:42 PM   #3
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Since its a TSB....can the dealer charge you to address it or fix it?
If you’re in warranty then it should be free of charge, otherwise it’s a cost
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:19 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
In reading through the TSB, it appears that the issue is that the nuts are not properly torqued. Yes, the guidance is to replace the nuts but that's because GM will consider those a disposable part "not to be reused." It does not appear to be any new design.

The corrective action is to remove the nut and replace it, applying thread-locker and torquing to spec. The question is why the torque level on them is not at this spec - did the spec change? Were they originally installed without thread-locker and could loosen? Did a batch of cars simply leave the factory without QA validating that they were torqued to spec? That's unclear / unknown...

The TSB was issued at the very beginning of the 2018 model year build time which means that vehicles built AFTER that would be done using the updated technique in the article (or the issue that led to the improper torque in the first place was otherwise eliminated during the build process).

The short version is that GM would have built cars after that date in a way that this should not be a more widespread issue than the occasional one-off situation. Could this be happening with your car? Yes. But, it would be more likely due to something use-related than possible improper torque from the factory.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote