Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #29
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Very informative

Thanks AL
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #30
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Interesting the LT4 target is so low.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:58 AM   #31
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
I can say the NLS works great on the 2017 LTG...also the target RPM is for sure not 3400 rpm, I'm sure its just over 5000rpm like DGthe3 mentioned.

Can't speak for the 2016 LTG guys, but a few have chimed in here and in the turbo section (reposted the response there) saying they do indeed have NLS on their cars.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #32
GreaseMonkey83

Drives: 2016 Camaro
This makes sense to me now. All along I've been saying that my '16 SS didn't have NLS because it revs in between shifts just like any other stick shift car that I've power shifted. I usually shift around 6-6100 and am probably in the next gear before it has time to hang at the 6400 target RPM making the NLS unnoticeable.

Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #33
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Not really. It's more optimized for drag racing to help lurch the car into the next gear without loss of acceleration in the standard SS. The SS 1LE however, is clearly set to promote smooth NLS gear changes so it won't upset the car mid turn on track. Makes sense. Track calibration for the track pack car.
Not sure you want to be doing a WOT, no lift shift, mid-turn.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #34
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Big tracks with long sweepers would be where it would happen. Specifically for me I don't use no lift shift in those situations but I have seen some using no lift shift @ 120mph on the banks at Charlotte Roval course and it appeared to work flawlessly.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Big tracks with long sweepers would be where it would happen. Specifically for me I don't use no lift shift in those situations but I have seen some using no lift shift @ 120mph on the banks at Charlotte Roval course and it appeared to work flawlessly.
I didn't know the ZL1 1LE had it, to be honest - there's a straight/kink at Mid Ohio Raceway where you're topping out 4th gear, and I need 5th right IN the kink...NLS would be perfect for there.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #36
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
lol
I guess I was thinking more of a corner than a bend.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 PM   #37
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
So I was correct in my testing and determining that my car does in fact NOT have NLS. I have a 2016 V6. If you have a 2016 I4 or V6, and you think you have it, you don't. You are performing a normal power shift. This is exactly as I suspected. Thank you Al for confirming!
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #38
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
And this is what's cool with Team Camaro that you don't get with the Mustang team!
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #39
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
AL's ANSWER:

First of all,

I’m glad you Camaro owners are using all of the functions of the car, including No-lift Shifting. Our engineering team is always looking for the best ways to combine performance and technology to improve the Camaro driving experience. This new “ask Al” forum seems like the perfect place to go further into detail on some of the features that may not get the proper explanation in the Press Releases or media outlets. I’d like to explain what the feature is, first, then explain how to use it on your Camaro. The Camaro has actually had ‘No-lift Shift’ since the 5th Generation. It is a feature that is intended for our drivers who want the performance feel of quick power shifting in our manual transmissions. The feature keeps the throttle at full open for both our boosted and non-boosted applications when passing through the Engine Over-speed Protection during a shift. In Engineering terms, when triggered, there is an immediate torque control, with fuel and spark, for a given period of time. Then, a predictive control takes over using the throttle to control torque. This allows the driver to take advantage of fast torque control for a short period of time (e.g. during the shift) without heating up or damaging the catalyst over time.

To address the most common question about the feature, you should know that there are both enable RPM’s and target RPM’s for each transmission, which are different for each engine application on the Camaro. We’ve put together a table below to show enable and target RPM by engine. To perform a No-lift Shift, simply put the throttle to the floor (i.e. WOT), and keep it there. Once the tachometer reaches the enable RPM, you can depress the clutch and shift as quickly as you can, and you’ll notice the tach will go to your target RPM during the shift. For example, if you are driving a 2017 SS Manual, with your throttle pedal to the floor, and the tach above 5000 RPM, say 5100 RPM, you can quickly upshift without lifting your throttle foot. The tach will reach the target RPM, in this example 6400 RPM, but not flare to redline. You can quick shift at any time during this RPM range. By the way, in our 2.0T Camaro (RPO LTG), if you are performing a No-lift Shift sequence, you will notice that you don’t lose boost during shifting, as you would with normal shifting. This adds up to an improved lap time or quarter mile. Also, you need to have a minimum speed of 15 kph (9.3 mph).

Attachment 906630

I would like to address a few of the specific comments with regard to No-lift Shifting. As I mentioned, the feature is on all 6th Generation Camaro Manual Transmissions, with the exception of the 2016 2.0T and V6. Those were added in Model Year 2017 and beyond. With regard to the effect of Mode selection on No-lift Shift, there is no difference between Tour/Sport/Track/Snow-Ice mode or PTM mode on the ability to perform the quick shifts. Most people either don’t keep the throttle to the floor, or don’t wait until they reach their Enable RPM before performing their shift. Both are required criteria to execute the No-lift shift feature. Lastly, the Enable and Target RPM is different for each engine application, and even within an application (as in the SS and SS 1LE).

If you are having problems using the feature, give it a try as I’ve described in this response. It may seem counterintuitive to keep your throttle to the floor while shifting, and the V6 and SS target RPM’s seem close to redline, but trust that it works. It may just take some practice.

Good luck with our No-lift shifting! I hope this response is helpful, and the type of information you were looking to see from the Camaro team.

Until next time,
Al O.
Sooo...how do you use it?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #40
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Al, please do a video.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #41
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjz1082 View Post
So I was correct in my testing and determining that my car does in fact NOT have NLS. I have a 2016 V6. If you have a 2016 I4 or V6, and you think you have it, you don't. You are performing a normal power shift. This is exactly as I suspected. Thank you Al for confirming!
Yup, this totally explains all the different scenarios folks have been reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
It's super easy. Just go WOT and shift away with your right foot firmly planted on the floor. Let the RPMs go past 5k just like you would if you were not using NLS and just trying to go fast.

After a couple practice runs you'll never lift again while getting on it.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #42
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
To perform a No-lift Shift, simply put the throttle to the floor (i.e. WOT), and keep it there. Once the tachometer reaches the enable RPM, you can depress the clutch and shift as quickly as you can, and you’ll notice the tach will go to your target RPM during the shift.