Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Hyperion

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Question Idea: Desiccant breather to keep moisture out of A8 and prevent shudder.

Would this work? From my understanding the shudder develops because the fluid from the factory is fairly hygroscopic and atmospheric moisture tends to accumulate in the fluid. I am hoping the new, less hygroscopic fluid will prevent this from happening again, but some have claimed the shudder returned even with the new fluid. I am thinking that a desiccant breather attached to the transmission's vent would absorb the humidity while allowing air to pass through. Several companies already make them for various industrial applications and it seems fairly straightforward to attach one.

Thoughts?
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Where did you learn the fluid absorbing moisture is the problem?
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Hyperion

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
Where did you learn the fluid absorbing moisture is the problem?
Here: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

"The TCC shudder condition is related to moisture content in the transmission fluid. The current fluid tends to be hydroscopic, or absorbs moisture, which increases the chance of TCC shudder. There are three different fluid exchange procedures to follow, depending on vehicle application, so that an acceptable concentration of the new HP fluid is achieved in the transmission."
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Sounds good, but I still think it is BS when the supposed issue is the fluid getting moisture in it...just boggles my mind that they are stating that is the issue, who knows, but your idea does sound good if one can be fitted the the A8.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I doubt it will work well, or for a long time before needing constant replacement.

Seems a real solution is for GM to admit the fluid is crap (they are close to it at present with the statement) and completely redesign it.

As a company they won't do this because every car, truck, suv, minivan, etc...(you get the idea) would need to be changed out.

If this "B.S" response about moisture was true then a few hard pulls bringing trans temp to 240* would evaporate the moisture and vent it.
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:45 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Any control system that is disrupted by small changes in friction is a bad control system. There's some interaction between torque converter lockup and AFM that is the causing the shudder problem, and tweaking the fluid is a bandaid, not a real solution.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desiccant breather, shudder