Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Midblues

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2019 Turbo 4 LT 6sp
Timing retarded for break in

New to turbo and 4 cylinder. So My question is. Is the timing retarded for break in purposes ,( my R/T challenger was til 3750 miles and you noticed the difference after that) she seems to ping a lot still on first tank of gas not sure what dealer filled it with but I will put 93 as soon as she is empty.
Midblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
it requires 93 octane that's in the manual. mine pinged while test driving. I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think the ecu is adaptive and will adjust, at least it seems that way.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:15 AM   #3
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
Its possible the dealership put regular in it. Just get it as low as you can then fill with 93 and should be good.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #4
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
Can someone who knows actual facts, reply to this guy's thread? The current replies are typical internet lore that's past on from generation to generation...lol

In actual fact, your car will run correctly (not optimally), at even 87 octane. There are lots of parts of the US where 93 is not available.

If you want, you can run down the dealer gas and fill up on 93. Then disconnect your battery for 15 minutes or so. Once you reconnect, take it for a spirited drive for a few miles to let the long term fuel trims get some averages for the higher octane. Then the car will be running optimally.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Midblues

That my plan scat pac. Still wondering if the timing is retarded for break in? Used to just pull ecm fuse on challenger and it would rest driving data and start fresh.
Also does the turbo 4 come with tow hook socket up front cant seem to find it but tow hook is in trunk.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midblues View Post
That my plan scat pac. Still wondering if the timing is retarded for break in? Used to just pull ecm fuse on challenger and it would rest driving data and start fresh.
Also does the turbo 4 come with tow hook socket up front cant seem to find it but tow hook is in trunk.
There's nothing in the ECU that makes it pull timing due to only X amount of miles on the car. Likely, like everyone else has stated, you have regular gas in the car currently. The LTG's neeeed premium. Good plugs, good gas, and good oil are essential to not blowing up your LTG.

Tow hook socket is in the front crash bar behind the grill. You can see it in this photo.

ZZP_Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midblues View Post
There's a small removable piece on the lower grille that pops off.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
Midblues

Thanks for info guys
Old 06-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
np
Attached Images

wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
There is no break in timing. Most likely your dealership chose to put 87 octane in your vehicle whose manually specifically states it requires high octane gasoline for optimal operation. Same thing happened to me and I spent 10 minutes educating the salesman on that point.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote