Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-23-2021, 09:38 PM   #15
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
It's all preference. When buying a sports car I prefer to go all the way, that would mean getting the 1LE package.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:39 PM   #16
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
2 1/2 years ago I test drove 3 used ZL1's within 6 months, one ZL1 and 2 ZL1/1LE, the 1st car was a dream ride, smooth highway no problem, then a ZLE , wasn't to bad on expansion joints etc, then I found a hyper blue ZLE, it was beautiful the car I wanted, I had a headache that day 1-10 it was a 5-6, I asked the salesman to allow me to drive on some back roads with rough surfaces and my headache went to a 10 on the pain level. The car had a blocked warranty, but everything looked stock, I was crushed, I wanted the ZLE look, and I love road racing sportbikes, and eventually will track the ZL1 I have. Due to a member here who was shunned for putting his ZL1 for sale in the wrong section, he just traded it in a new GTR, and with his post here in this sight, and adding 10K of 1LE parts, I snatched a ZL1 with magnetic ride and all OEM parts added.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #17
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
I had the same question 18 months ago. I planned to drive the car a lot, and don’t have much spare time to track it, so the ZL1 made more sense. so that’s what I bought (A10). I absolutely love the car, it’s everything I thought it would be and more. However, I wish I would have bought a ZLE. Heart over head sort of deal.
This is funny because I knew that the majority of my driving was going to be on weekends in the mountains. Total toy, not that I didn't ever plan on tracking it, but that was not gonna be the primary purpose. However, I just wanted the baddest and best so I got the ZLE. I love the car, but if I could go back I would have bought a "Regular" ZL1 and made the cosmetic changes to make it how I wanted it (new wheels and different rear spoiler - not the ZLE spoiler). For me the ZL1 would be the more practical/better car for my purpose. Too late now, but lesson learned.........
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:23 PM   #18
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
This is funny because I knew that the majority of my driving was going to be on weekends in the mountains. Total toy, not that I didn't ever plan on tracking it, but that was not gonna be the primary purpose. However, I just wanted the baddest and best so I got the ZLE. I love the car, but if I could go back I would have bought a "Regular" ZL1 and made the cosmetic changes to make it how I wanted it (new wheels and different rear spoiler - not the ZLE spoiler). For me the ZL1 would be the more practical/better car for my purpose. Too late now, but lesson learned.........
Which spoiler and wheels would you get?

Never too late.. hot commodity right now if willing to wait for a Camaro in 2023 lol.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2021, 11:25 PM   #19
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
2 1/2 years ago I test drove 3 used ZL1's within 6 months, one ZL1 and 2 ZL1/1LE, the 1st car was a dream ride, smooth highway no problem, then a ZLE , wasn't to bad on expansion joints etc, then I found a hyper blue ZLE, it was beautiful the car I wanted, I had a headache that day 1-10 it was a 5-6, I asked the salesman to allow me to drive on some back roads with rough surfaces and my headache went to a 10 on the pain level. The car had a blocked warranty, but everything looked stock, I was crushed, I wanted the ZLE look, and I love road racing sportbikes, and eventually will track the ZL1 I have. Due to a member here who was shunned for putting his ZL1 for sale in the wrong section, he just traded it in a new GTR, and with his post here in this sight, and adding 10K of 1LE parts, I snatched a ZL1 with magnetic ride and all OEM parts added.
Lucky you!!

Old 08-24-2021, 12:03 AM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
It's all preference. When buying a sports car I prefer to go all the way, that would mean getting the 1LE package.
Where does that end? 911 GT3 RS Cup? M4 GTS with gutted interior?

It seems like this would never end until you have nothing but a bare chassis and nascar body kit?

I think the ZL1 1LE package really confuses people. The SS 1LE gives you the ZL1 chassis without the engine. The ZL1 is a great track performer. Are you really going to take it to 10/10ths on a track? If so, get the ZL1 1LE. But for a car that can live as both a DD and a track car, the ZL1 winds hands down. How many people are going to take the ZL1 1LE to anywhere near it's capability? Again, if racing at the track (track, not strip) is the most important thing, then go for it, but it just seems bizarre to pick the ZL1 1LE over the ZL1 if you are not.

It always seems like people rationalize "living with" every possible hardcore track car. They always say "it's not bad on roads" and for "daily driver". This is like one of the most constant things on auto boards. Find any car and the enthusiasts will tell you it's a great DD and "not bad on roads". As if there's never been a bad car on roads...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:51 AM   #21
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post

It seems like this would never end until you have nothing but a bare chassis and nascar body kit?

I think the ZL1 1LE package really confuses people. The SS 1LE gives you the ZL1 chassis without the engine. The ZL1 is a great track performer. Are you really going to take it to 10/10ths on a track? If so, get the ZL1 1LE. But for a car that can live as both a DD and a track car, the ZL1 winds hands down. How many people are going to take the ZL1 1LE to anywhere near it's capability? Again, if racing at the track (track, not strip) is the most important thing, then go for it, but it just seems bizarre to pick the ZL1 1LE over the ZL1 if you are not.

It always seems like people rationalize "living with" every possible hardcore track car. They always say "it's not bad on roads" and for "daily driver". This is like one of the most constant things on auto boards. Find any car and the enthusiasts will tell you it's a great DD and "not bad on roads". As if there's never been a bad car on roads...

They need to "look cool"

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:33 AM   #22
Wuiquen

Quote:

What GM really should do is create a package that would allow buyers to get a regular ZL1 and select that package to include the Aero/wheels from the ZLE. That would be a hit if they would add it got like 6K

Old 08-24-2021, 03:31 AM   #23
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
This doesn't make much sense. The ZL1 is all the way, the ZL1 1LE is a track package intended strictly for track usage.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:33 AM   #24
Z OH 6

Quote:

This ^^^

Seems like most people that want a ZL1 1LE want it for the aero and have almost no chance of ever tracking the car which is what it was intended for. Kudos to those that buy a 1LE and actually track it, that's what it was built for. The ZL1 in standard trim is still a monster on the track and very good on the street too.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #25
silverboost98

Drives: Chevrolet Corvette Z06
I just recently picked up a brand new 2021 ZL1 1LE and to be honest I don't think the ride is really that bad. I came from a fully built 2011 C6Z and I don't think the comfort of the 1LE is really bad at all compared to that. I don't regret making the decision of going this route, but I also will be tracking this car at Carolina Motorsports Park year round. For what it's worth I have driven the regular ZL1 multiple times and back to back with my car and I will say the ride is much softer with the regular ZL1.
silverboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #26
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverboost98 View Post
I just recently picked up a brand new 2021 ZL1 1LE and to be honest I don't think the ride is really that bad. I came from a fully built 2011 C6Z and I don't think the comfort of the 1LE is really bad at all compared to that. I don't regret making the decision of going this route, but I also will be tracking this car at Carolina Motorsports Park year round. For what it's worth I have driven the regular ZL1 multiple times and back to back with my car and I will say the ride is much softer with the regular ZL1.
Good that you actually plan to use your 1LE for the track, that's what it was intended for. If the standard ZL1 is MUCH softer in comparison, I can understand why so many people sell the 1LE after a few months to a year of ownership. Most people buy them for the big WANG on the back and then realize its a brutally harsh ride for the street which it was never intended for. My standard ZL1 rides plenty stiff enough for me, I wouldn't want it any stiffer at all and its not a soft ride by any means.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:56 AM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslac4eva View Post
Hi gang, I'm in a bit of a predicament.

Here's a quick backstory on the situation at hand:
I've owned a 2012 RS (V6), upgraded to a 2017 1SS with a stage 2 and then sold it for a Tesla Model 3 Performance. Although fast, the Model 3 Performance is missing the personality my 1SS had and so, I'm looking to jump into a ZL1 (2022 model year).

Given that, one thing I truly enjoyed on the 1SS was the lack of magneride so I felt every bump on the road. Looking at the ZL1s I like the more simplistic design of the regular ZL1 compared to the ZLE, but at the same time I prefer the tighter suspension and I'm not sure if magneride on the ZL1 would simulate what the 1SS had (or didn't have). So here's just a few questions for anyone reading this:

1. Is there a huge difference in suspension between the ZL1's track mode with magneride compared to the ZLE's?

2. Which would closer resemble the suspension of a non-magneride Camaro? The ZL1 in track mode or the ZLE?

3. Does the rear wing on the ZLE interfere with visibility (of course I imagine the three pillars to limit my view, but not sure if I'll be able to make out an officer who's a number of cars away given the huge spoiler)?

Currently I have an order in with a dealer for a ZL1 6mt (1100 status), but looking around I'm seeing a couple of ZLEs available so I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a ZLE, but need to be informed first.

Funny enough, this is probably my first post ever in any forum so any help, guidance, recommendations or tips are greatly appreciated!
Magnetic Ride does not have any meaningful impact how "soft" or "floaty" the car feels. It provides the ability to slightly adjust the damping rate of the shock absorbers which has its biggest impact on handling.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #28
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Magnetic Ride does not have any meaningful impact how "soft" or "floaty" the car feels. It provides the ability to slightly adjust the damping rate of the shock absorbers which has its biggest impact on handling.
Agreed.

Tags
suspension, zl1, zle