Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Camarobychance

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS RS 1LE
Wheel clunk and shaking at speed

Hey everyone, I’ve been chasing this problem for about a year now I finally feel like I’m starting to get somewhere but still need some help. I have a 2011 2SS A6 with the L99 with 138k on the clock. The car runs almost perfect except for a few things one of which is a constant wobble/shake in the steering wheel at any speed over 30-40 mph. A couple things about this wobble 1 it seems to smooth out slightly once I get over about 95-100 mph. 2 is its almost non existent when you turn the wheel (like taking a turn) but when it’s straight it’s shaking very noticeably. In the video that I attached I have the car jacks up on just the front drivers side and did the old 9 and 3 shake. I’ve done this before and didn’t hear anything but I guess I didn’t shake hard enough bc this time there is very obvious clunk. All the suspension components seem tight and not causing the clunk I think it’s the steering rack but would like some input.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_vkPAurbwr4
Camarobychance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Sure sounds like it provided the knuckle bearings are good.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Reach out to member Spec. I think he had something similar which was a headscratcher until the shop figured it out.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Camarobychance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Reach out to member Spec. I think he had something similar which was a headscratcher until the shop figured it out.
Not sure what you mean by member spec. Sorry noob here
Old 09-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #5
11_Camaro

Drives: 2022 Hyundai Veloster N
He means reaching out to the forum member whose screen name is "Spec".
11_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
Camarobychance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11_Camaro View Post
He means reaching out to the forum member whose screen name is "Spec".
Lol okay I feel dumb now. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #7
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Things to check:
-Front Forward and Rearward control arm bushings and ball joints.
-Steering rack (Mine was making a clunk, replaced it and it disappeared.

-Strut Mounts Mine was bad and making a clunk as well as causing a steering wheel vibration
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
Camarobychance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Can’t seem to find him in the members list. Can you find the forum post?
Old 09-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
Camarobychance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
Things to check:
-Front Forward and Rearward control arm bushings and ball joints.
-Steering rack (Mine was making a clunk, replaced it and it disappeared.

-Strut Mounts Mine was bad and making a clunk as well as causing a steering wheel vibration
Control arm bushing and ball joints are good as well as shock mounts. So I guess that just leaves the rack. Were you getting a steering wheel wobble with yours as wheel or just the clunk? Any other side effects of the bad rack you remember? Also how costly was the new rack?

Last edited by Camarobychance; 10-01-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #10
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarobychance View Post
Control arm bushing and ball joints are good as well as shock mounts. So I guess that just leaves the rack. Were you getting a steering wheel wobble with yours as wheel or just the clunk? Any other side effects of the bad rack you remember? Also how costly was the new rack?

Sorry for late response. So the wheel wobble was almost imperceptible, but I had this anxiety like I couldn't place the car exactly where i wanted it, I heard a clunk in very tight turns and over bumps. I bought a brand new GM rack from RockAuto shipped to the door for like $315. To check if its your rack, see if the dust boots are moist or damp, its usually a seal leak that leads to excessive wear then to clunking. Also while its up grab the tie rods on the rack and shake them, they shouldn't knock, if either side does, its bad.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me, shaking, suspension, wobble