Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-26-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Harnesses, seatbelt and door handle safety

Do all newer cars require you to pull on the door handle twice in order to exist the vehicle? As in the car is in neutral only, foot on the break without parking break on (I have a 6MT) and i want to let my passenger out-do they have to pull on the door handle twice in any other vehicle? I know my 5th and 6th gen do. Is it a GM manual trans only thing?

In thinking about 3/4/5/6 pt harnesses and accompanying systems and I'm curious what feedback the safety system gets from the seat belt when involved in an accident. If you are using any one of the above mentioned harness's, that means you are not utilizing the OEM 3pt. Does that change anything regarding how the airbags are deployed, engine braking (stabilitrak/TSC), on star notficiation ect.

Last edited by Val Walkinshaw; 04-26-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Takes two pulls on my Fusion too.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #3
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
My camaro and my 2018 truck the door opens with one pull like any other door
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
Zr8000

You can also open the door the driving down the road at 50 and all it does is ding at you and say door is open on the dash.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #5
F_Two

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
You can also open the door the driving down the road at 50 and all it does is ding at you and say door is open on the dash.
Do all of your dates want to open the door at 50+mph?
F_Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:02 AM   #6
Zr8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_Two View Post
Do all of your dates want to open the door at 50+mph?
I don’t want the wife to find out. Easier to get rid of them at speed
Old 04-27-2020, 01:30 AM   #7
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
My camaro and my 2018 truck the door opens with one pull like any other door

Your Camaro opens with only one pull? While driving? I doubt that....
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:36 AM   #8
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
I have a 6 point harness with race seats and roll bar in my ZL1 1LE. This will cause the airbag light to remain on but will not cause any other issues with operation or performance. I have disabled my side air bags as well as there has been one or two incidents of them being deployed on the track.

One thing that you may run in to after installing the seats is that your power mirrors may not work. To make your mirrors work again you have to connect the module that is under the drivers seat back up to the harness. I just zip tied mine under the seat and the power mirrors function normally.

Apparently some have been able to make the airbag light go off after installing race seats using appropriate resistors to "fake" the system into thinking they are still connected. I have not done this and having the light on is not bothersome to me.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Just remember on the track this is fine disconnect all the devices you want. On the road is different if you bypass the airbag systems and get into a serious accident and people are hurt or killed even if it was not your fault. The insurance company will void your insurance and it will cost you thousands. I do part time adjusting work and had to do that once. just a FYI
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
Sweptwing

Drives: 2017 2LT RS V6 M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Do all newer cars require you to pull on the door handle twice in order to exist the vehicle? As in the car is in neutral only, foot on the break without parking break on (I have a 6MT) and i want to let my passenger out-do they have to pull on the door handle twice in any other vehicle? I know my 5th and 6th gen do. Is it a GM manual trans only thing?

In thinking about 3/4/5/6 pt harnesses and accompanying systems and I'm curious what feedback the safety system gets from the seat belt when involved in an accident. If you are using any one of the above mentioned harness's, that means you are not utilizing the OEM 3pt. Does that change anything regarding how the airbags are deployed, engine braking (stabilitrak/TSC), on star notficiation ect.
That second pull is only required if the door is locked! The vehicle is smart enough to know and unlocks the door on the second pull without requiring the use of the lock button.
Sweptwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #11
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
If you've been in older Fords, since the mid-70s, when you lock the doors they unlock and open with one pull of the handle without pressing the unlock button or manually unlocking the door (having grown up on GM cars I always thought Ford's setup was weird). They have had small and round locks on their doors for the longest time which are impossible to grab onto and pull when they're pressed down. I think that was an attempt at anti-theft, so you couldn't put a coat hanger through the door jamb and pull up the door lock like you could with most GM cars in the day.

GM, Chrysler, and some of the imports never did that. If you locked the doors and pulled the handle, the door would stay locked until you either pulled the lock up or pressed the power door unlock switch.

Other global car companies have always used a two stage unlock, whereby when the doors are locked you pull the handle once to unlock it and twice to open the door.

So, a few years ago GM adapted the more global approach to door locks. Today, if you look, most doors in modern cars don't even have a "door lock" per se on them. The old manual lock you either pulled up and pushed down or pushed in and out on the door panel has just been replaced by a red LED indicating the door is locked.

You can either pull the handle twice to open it if they're locked, or press the unlock button first then pull the handle.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #12
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Just remember on the track this is fine disconnect all the devices you want. On the road is different if you bypass the airbag systems and get into a serious accident and people are hurt or killed even if it was not your fault. The insurance company will void your insurance and it will cost you thousands. I do part time adjusting work and had to do that once. just a FYI
Correct!

My car is strictly a track car and I would not recommend having a roll bar in a street car. It might impede side air bag deployment and hitting your head on the roll bar without a helmet could cause serious injury or worse!
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
Zr8000

Quote:
Your Camaro opens with only one pull? While driving? I doubt that....
Haven’t tried the camaro at speed as I have only had it a few days. I doubt Gm put a magic sensor on the door handle. My 2018 Chevy truck you can open the door at speed. I will try it on the camaro when I get home in a few days. I know the camaro door will open when moving slowly with one pull you just have to unlock first.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #14
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Hey Val,
I've not researched the 6th gen system, but I would think it is similar to the 5th gen logic.
A discussion here: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=459415

To fool the car into thinking the OEM restraint is being used, get a dummy for the receptacle. They're free from the dealer.