Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Dealership professionalism

Deleted

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M

Last edited by Val Walkinshaw; 05-24-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
TheWiseWolf

Drives: Camaro
After reading that, I dont even think breathing near your car is safe with you.
TheWiseWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
expecting a car to come from a dealer with paint free of swirls, I've learned, is setting yourself up for disappointment. There is no way any dealer is ever going to "hand wash" hundreds of cars sitting on their lot. It's just never going to happen. Plus, the GM paint these days is so fragile, its virtually unavoidable. I agree with you about dealerships being careless, but, I don't really care if they wear shoes in my car without putting plastic down. I'm just thankful if I get my car back without any significant body damage at this point. These guys move fast and don't get paid much. They are under constant pressure from GM to cut corners.
My brand new equinox had to have body work done on the rear. They dinged the passenger door in the parking lot and had to replace that too. The car was filled with dust when I picked it up. I smiled, took my keys, and drove home. At least they hadn't damaged anything else and I can wipe off some dust. Sometimes its a matter of perspective.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
ugxvibe
GM Transmission Tech

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Like any other business out there you'll always have a mix of people from good to bad. Personally I like to take the time to make sure I don't scuff up a customers car. I think maybe working at a Caddy dealer puts us on a little higher of a level because ALL Cadillac owners want, and deserve, to have their vehicles in the same clean condition as they came in.

Things that happen, like in the other thread with rattle repair, should be addressed appropriately. I know that our place would certainly remedy the situation at the cost of the shop because we understand the importance of customer retention and CSI.

If you stay calm and collected when showing the damage to the vehicle you will yield more positive results. If the calm route doesn't work then go the nuclear route IMO.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
ugxvibe
GM Transmission Tech

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
expecting a car to come from a dealer with paint free of swirls, I've learned, is setting yourself up for disappointment. There is no way any dealer is ever going to "hand wash" hundreds of cars sitting on their lot. It's just never going to happen.
We actually have a sublet company on site that hand washes/waxes everything. Crazy I know, but it's true.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I'm not really anal but I have seen salesman or the service guy lean on the car while talking to me and I'll admit, it's a bit unprofessional.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
441bertre

Drives: 1998 SS, 2018 1LE
I worked in a dealership for four years and I would estimate you represent 5% of the customers that came in. The other 95% come in drop off their vehicle off and are just happy when they pick it up and their concern is rectified. Customers are quick to leave a bad review because of an experience they had but don't forget about the others that visit on a daily basis and Mr. Smith that has been going to the same place for the past 20 yrs that are complete satisfied with every visit.

We get it, you're anal retentive, and want your car treated like a Ferrari you didn't buy. If the technician gets in with dirty boots and gets the floormats dirty, its not the end of the world. They can be cleaned. Don't complain about their fingernails unless you're paying for a manicure.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #8
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I know of 2 smaller repair facilities that hand wash vehicles including a change of the buckets and mitt between each car. I have limited knowledge but as far as dealerships go I am familiar with one non-Ferrari in Ann Arbor that hand washes. It is not a Chevrolet dealer unfortunately. Do I expect manicures? Lord no. What I do expect is you to at least shake off the metal shavings before you climb in my car. Do I expect you to scrub your hands like a surgeon before climbing in and out? No. Common courtesy says you should at least find a clean towel before shaking hands. My apologies if I came off harsh. Apparently I've allowed higher standards to dictate my behaviors.

I can appreciate and recommend keeping a level head when discussing concerns. Professionalism, courtesy and basic human respect go along way in conversation. Screaming at anyone or using profanity says more about your limited vocabulary and intelligence level than it does the problem at hand.

I'll admit sometimes dropping bombs may get more done, it should never be the first line of defense. Nor did I exude any behavior of the such at my last visit.

I apologize if I came across promoting that kind of immature and unprofessional behavior.

Anal to one person is laxadasical to another. It really depends on your reference point.

Bottom line. Respect for other people's property is not conditional upon your opinion of it's value.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #9
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I will admit, when I have had to use any dealership to help me deal with a warranty covered issue, I feel as if I am opening myself up to untold issues. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. Even though my local dealer does wash by hand...I just tell them no thanks. Short of something major, my cars dont go back. I think a lot of the people at these dealerships arent car guys anymore. Working at the dealership is just a job.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 PM   #10
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
+1

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 PM   #11
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 441bertre View Post
I worked in a dealership for four years and I would estimate you represent 5% of the customers that came in. The other 95% come in drop off their vehicle off and are just happy when they pick it up and their concern is rectified. Customers are quick to leave a bad review because of an experience they had but don't forget about the others that visit on a daily basis and Mr. Smith that has been going to the same place for the past 20 yrs that are complete satisfied with every visit.

We get it, you're anal retentive, and want your car treated like a Ferrari you didn't buy. If the technician gets in with dirty boots and gets the floormats dirty, its not the end of the world. They can be cleaned. Don't complain about their fingernails unless you're paying for a manicure.
+1

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 PM   #12
Michael2000

Drives: .
I'm in agreement with the original poster. I do service work (not in the car industry), and I do quality work. I expect other people to do quality work, too, if they are doing work for me. I give the product back in better condition than I got it. I expect the same.

Having said that, I avoid going to the dealer at all costs. I buy the service manuals, and buy the parts. I've even done recall work to avoid the dealer. I know most of them don't give a rat's @ss about my car, my second largest financial purchase, or the work they do. They are just there to kill time, and pickup a paycheck. I have to be realistic. When I buy a new car, I tell them to leave all the plastic on, and don't wash it. I'll do it myself, and I have no paint swirls on my cars. If it was a higher end car, like a Maserati or Porsche, I probably would not be so hesitant.

Last edited by Michael2000; 05-23-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:20 PM   #13
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWolf View Post
No, he doesn't want cr@p work done on his car. There is nothing wrong with that. There use to be a time when people took pride in their work. A few still do, but most don't. The term "skilled trades" is pretty much an anachronism these days.

Here's a fresh example of your skilled Chevy dealership labor.

Went In For Dash Rattle and Dealer Damaged Interior

That's professional work there.

Here's another one, this time with a $70K ZL1.

2019 ZL1 vert already damaged by dealer

People want their cars fixed, not destroyed by low class morons who have no clue what they are doing.

Last edited by Michael2000; 05-23-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:21 AM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i consider myself fairly picky about my car.that said,if i take it for service and have to wash it or vacuum it out afterwards im ok with that,as long as nothing is actually damaged and the car has been repaired.service people are only human,and working on cars all day,you are going to get at least a little dirty.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote