Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
2010 2LT sat for 1.5 weeks and now check engine light

I did a search via the forum and via Google... Sorry to say.. however I'm not coming up with much luck. We just moved from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Palm Coast, FL and the weather has been up and down with the cold and the warmth. I started the car in the garage for the first time in 1.5 weeks since I purchased another daily driver.. and it stumbled a little in the beginning.. but then idled out just fine.. However the service engine light is on and will not turn off... What would be the first thing suggested I do and check for?? I read that someone had a similar problem and used Berryman's Fuel System Cleaner, Injection Cleaner etc.. and it solved their problem.. others stated to fill up with Premium Gas... others stated battery may need replacing etc... I am leery of adding snake oil fluids to a modern day vehicle that is fuel injected that is newer than 2005 and up... What are your suggestions? Am I being paranoid?? Will be taking the Camaro out for a spin very soon.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I only run premium so I can't help there. I'd try a can of Seafoam in the gas tank and just drive. If there's no problem the CEL will go off by itself after some driving (x number of start / drive cycles or like 100-200 miles, I don't recall how it works if I'm being honest). Does it idle and drive fine? Could be condensation or something in the gas tank.

Actually, by extension, if you do grab a can of Seafoam, ask whatever parts store if they have an OBD2 scanner and check the code yourself.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Battery.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I only run premium so I can't help there. I'd try a can of Seafoam in the gas tank and just drive. If there's no problem the CEL will go off by itself after some driving (x number of start / drive cycles or like 100-200 miles, I don't recall how it works if I'm being honest). Does it idle and drive fine? Could be condensation or something in the gas tank.

Actually, by extension, if you do grab a can of Seafoam, ask whatever parts store if they have an OBD2 scanner and check the code yourself.

The car has been through every updated service intervals it needed via the service department at the dealership. It currently has almost 91k miles on it. Injectors have been cleaned not long ago etc.. I was thinking the same as you described.. hopefully that's all it really is. Will check into the OBD2 scanner...

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Battery.

Thought the same too.. voltage read good on the guage cluster... Could that be misleading??

Old 01-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Thought the same too.. voltage read good on the guage cluster... Could that be misleading??
Yep. Voltage is one thing, amperage is another. You probably have the proper voltage, just not enough current. Throw that sucker on a charger.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
SummitWhite11

2010 2LT sat for 1.5 weeks and now check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Yep. Voltage is one thing, amperage is another. You probably have the proper voltage, just not enough current. Throw that sucker on a charger.

What I meant to say in the begnning of my original post was 1.5 months..not weeks. I do have a battery tender. I will hook it up and see what happens : )

Just hooked it up to a battery tender.. will see how it goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SummitWhite11; 01-25-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
So you have a battery tender, but how old is the battery????
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
So you have a battery tender, but how old is the battery????

Hard to say.. i purchased the car almost 2 years ago and cannot remember if I had the battery replaced or not during that time span.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
"Can't Remember"??????…..It only takes a minute to record everything you do to yer vehicles for future reference......Plus it makes a GR8 selling point when the buyer can see that you give a shit enough to know what's been done to it.....it's always worked for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #11
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
"Can't Remember"??????…..It only takes a minute to record everything you do to yer vehicles for future reference......Plus it makes a GR8 selling point when the buyer can see that you give a shit enough to know what's been done to it.....it's always worked for me.

Of course and I have always done so. Like I said, we just moved up here and the paperwork i usually keep on all of my current vehicles are in a file tucked away in a box somewhere. We have not fully unpacked and still trying to settle in. Currently doing renovations on the house. I do know I have replaced the battery in the other daily driver and with all of the services visits between the two vehicles other than the recent daily driver I purchased a few weeks ago, I can’t recall if I already had the battery replaced or not. And besides, I know about selling points with repair histories when it comes to vehicles so no worries.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #12
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I would just go out and buy a cheap engine code scanner and see what codes pop up. If it is the battery, at least you will know. That way, you're not just replacing stuff and spending money for nothing.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #13
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Of course and I have always done so. Like I said, we just moved up here and the paperwork i usually keep on all of my current vehicles are in a file tucked away in a box somewhere. We have not fully unpacked and still trying to settle in.
I feel your pain, brother. I am in the exact same situation right now.

Grab a cheap OBDII code reader. You can get them for like $40 at Harbor Freight. Then you can tell us which codes are present and we can steer you in the right direction.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #14
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
So what is the code? You can usually go to a locate auto parts store like O'Reillys and they can extract the code for you, no charge. They usually advise you what the cause can be, if you come across a parts guy with some knowledge.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote