Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-21-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Don't Know how Some Folks Do It

It's been so long since I went all Karate Kid on a car I'd forgotten how time consuming and tedious hand waxing a car is. Weather went all schizo in these parts and warmed up to almost 70 but cloudy. Seemed like a good time to roll the 'Ro out and give it a thorough warsh 'n wax. While the touch free is good for knockin' the dust off, it can't hold a candle to good ol' fashioned, labor intensive, soap on ,rinse off, dry off, wax on, wax off routine.

Mequiar's Crystal Car Wash soap and Mother's California Gold Brazilian Carnuba. It ain't Adam's but it's what I had on the shelf.

Took me almost 5 hours, start to finish but I have to say, the car does look a lot better.

Much to all those folks who keep their rides show clean. I am flat bushed and wondering how much it will cost me to pay someone else to do this. All those nooks and crannies, getting up and down. Don't know if I have the energy these days to do this regularly.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
It does take time but time well spent. Good job on yours, looks good.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Your car looks good.
If you want something easy to apply, that doesn't require buffing, here are several options.

One option for you vs. paste wax are WOWA products. With these your applying protection to your paint after washing/drying. But unlike wax, you don't need to buff anything, you just wipe on, and walk away.

Blackfire Crystal Seal
Ultima Paint Guard Plus
These will save you a lot of time versus traditional paste wax.

There are also some water activated sealants you can use to apply after you rinse.

Adams H2O Guard & Gloss. Spray on clean wet paint, spread with wet towel, dry with dry towel. Very easy to use.
Gyeon Wet Coat. Spray on clean wet paint, rinse off after 1 minute.
Carpro Hydro O2. Spray on rinse off.

The easiest protection I've found to apply is Carpro Hydrofoam. Wash, rinse, pool, dry, and your done.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 AM   #4
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Yep, its a lot of work, Many times I sit down Saturday night after a full day working on her and say to myself, I am getting too old for this ****. Planning your route around construction zones helps a bit. LOL

I have tried a lot of products over the years, and thrown out more then I can remember after trying them. Their are days I get done and decide it looks like @### and wax it all over again with a different wax! I probably need to see a doctor I know. LOL
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Hey Man looks great. I don't know that you can pay someone to take care of it the way you would when you do it yourself. Try Nu Finish polish
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:37 AM   #6
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Looks good!
Nice job
Old 01-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
A place near me that does a crazy good job is something like $300 for a wash/clay bar/one step polish/sealant, not cheap, but they do an awesome job.

I used to keep mine spotless, but now I live a little ways down an unmaintained dirt road...I keep it fairly clean, but one trip and it is dusty again.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
It's been so long since I went all Karate Kid on a car I'd forgotten how time consuming and tedious hand waxing a car is.

Took me almost 5 hours, start to finish but I have to say, the car does look a lot better.

Much to all those folks who keep their rides show clean.
I am flat bushed and wondering how much it will cost me to pay someone else to do this.
All those nooks and crannies, getting up and down.
Don't know if I have the energy these days to do this regularly.

That's about right time wise...thorough wash, decon and a quality hand wax.
IMPORTANT: A good quality rolling stool for the sides and a bottle of five hour.

Black is not a color it is a career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline
I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM   #9
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I feel the same way. I do not enjoy detailing cars. Yet I love black cars. Looks great when clean, but get dirty 3 minutes later.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
have a black car and wouldn't have it any other way. got the whole set up. have a routine that I follow once a year in the early spring, make a week end of it. always worth it in the end. last year had a back issue and couldn't do everything I planned, will be making it up this spring

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #11
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Having a black car takes extra work and detail because any spot you miss will show up easily compared to other colors. For shelf products, the results looks pretty good, once you get some quality products that black will shine. I do detailing as a second job and also as a side business because it's an art to get that shine most would like. If you take your time, the results will pay off.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
For some odd reason I enjoy detailing vehicles. Great stress relief for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #13
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
For some odd reason I enjoy detailing vehicles. Great stress relief for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same here.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote