Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-30-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Help Wanted - Removal and Reinstallation of headliner

I'm about to start work on installation of the Home Link Overhead Console Kit from Gen5DIY.

Went looking through several pages here and didn't find a thread that appeared to address my question so...

The instructions from Gen5DIY state I can tuck the harness wire along the edge of the headliner but I'd rather it route with any other harnesses going from the overhead console to the A pillar.

Does anyone have information regarding headliner removal and installation, special tools I may need and tips and/or tricks to get this done without screwing it up? I'll also need to remove the A pillar trim to get the harness down to the driver's side fuse panel.

Pretty much a total newb with interior work but I'm not scared to go buy tools needed, so long as they don't cost an arm or leg, and are available at the local auto parts store.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
15CamaroRS2LT

Drives: 2015 Camaro L99-1SS/RS CRM
I plan on doing the same thing in the near future, so let's keep this up top and current. I agree in routing the wire under the headliner to make things "just look better"

2015 Crystal Red 1SS/RS..A6..11.31 @ 119.76...4065 lbs...Ebay cold air kit, Pat G tune, MT drag radials, TSP 1 7/8" headers w/cats Circle D converter sold

2010 Victory Red V6 - Auto
15CamaroRS2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Dragonman

Well, after doing some research on headliner removal, I decided that juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Getting the HLKIT Harness tucked in above the headliner was easy and clean and looks just fine. If I were to route a harness to the back fuse panel, where the stock fuse is for the home link universal remote, I would have pressed a bit harder getting the headliner removed to allow clean routing of a cable, but only if there were more work needing to done than that one bit. It just wasn't worth all that.

Short vid here
https://youtu.be/6JOCWDuWzWM
Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
baddmans
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LT
I would not remove the headliner unless you want a different color headliner. If you remove the headliner, you will have to remove the front passenger seat to fit the headliner in the car with minimal bending of the headliner, pain in the butt to do.
It would be much easier to fish the wire under the headliner then removing the headliner.
It would be easier to splice into a positive and negative wire in the overhead console area then fishing the wire to the a-pillar.
There is a member that sold the 2 wire harness to splice into the overhead center console on here and I bought one from him. I will check to see if he is still around.
Darth Martel was the member on here selling the homelink wire harness.

I have the 2 wire harness for the overhead center console.

Last edited by baddmans; 11-08-2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: More info
baddmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
Dragonman

You don't need to "fish" the wire to the A-pillar. Just tuck the wire under the leading edge of the headliner until you get to both the center console and the A-pillar.

If I hadn't done the rough route of the harness before I managed to get the console out, it would have been even easier to get the harness routed into the O/H console.

Once the wire is tucked up and at each end of the headliner, just pull back a forth a couple times and it'll back up into the roof space a bit farther and you shouldn't have to worry about it falling out toward the windshield. Plugging the harness into F29 on the driver's side panel was much easier than cutting open the harness there at the console. To be blunt, the harness was the easiest part of the entire deal. Getting the damn lamp assembly out to get at the 2 screws holding the console up was the worst part of the entire process. This is contra to my experience with automobile repair and modification. It's usually been much easier to take things apart than it has been putting them back together.