Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-05-2021, 02:00 AM   #1
Att3mpt

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2015 2SS RS
Heartbeat l99 with Cam?

I recently just purchased a Heartbeat supercharger kit and about to buy additional fueling upgrades from Jannetty racing.

I am facing a couple of dilemmas,
Whether to just install a the supercharger with the supporting mods

OR

Dish out additional $ for a l99 to ls3 conversion and a GPI SS1 Blower cam which allows me to keep my stock converters

OR

Wait almost another year to do the l99 to ls3 conversion and a bigger Blower cam from GPI and also get the stock converters....

Anyone here with a l99 heartbeat with GPI SS1 blower cam with stock converters that can weigh in and give their opinions? Is it better to at least do the l99 to ls3 swap with blower cam at the same time as the super charger?

Thanks
Att3mpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:16 AM   #2
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
I'm just finishing up a heartbeat install along with a GPI SS3 blower cam. Any mods done yet or is the car still factory L99 with active DOD?

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Since the intake has to come off ,it’s easier to pull the heads now vs. later...you’ll regret not doing it now
Old 06-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
Plan on replacing the stock converter, it is a transmission weak point.. when it dies it will take your trans with it.
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:38 AM   #5
Att3mpt

Thanks for all the reply... I guess I’ll be breaking the bank....
Gpi ss3 cam I guess
Old 06-06-2021, 02:42 AM   #6
Att3mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
I'm just finishing up a heartbeat install along with a GPI SS3 blower cam. Any mods done yet or is the car still factory L99 with active DOD?
Currently got long tube headers and CAI nothing fancy.
Haven’t put on the super charger yet..
And with all these additional parts it’s almost like 4K more...
Old 06-06-2021, 02:50 AM   #7
Att3mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0v3r View Post
Plan on replacing the stock converter, it is a transmission weak point.. when it dies it will take your trans with it.
I heard bout it too but at the same time, I heard with it being properly tuned I can get to about 650 whp reliably.
That’s why I think maybe ss1 is enough and I can keep stock converter.
This car is my DD and I feel like I wouldn’t want it to go that crazy like 800whp as of now lol
Old 06-06-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Att3mpt View Post
Currently got long tube headers and CAI nothing fancy.
Haven’t put on the super charger yet..
And with all these additional parts it’s almost like 4K more...
Yes, it gets expensive quick for sure! I would certainly want to swap out the DOD lifters which means pulling the heads. Might as well build it the way you want it at that point.

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #9
RedTexasSS

Drives: 2012 SS Red w/ black rally stripes
My plans for mods were headers, an exhaust and a tune. I would visit this forum everyday and read about everyone's builds. I never thought you could daily drive a vehicle with all mods. After the headers and tune, I decided to go with a cam. I contacted Aaron at GPI and he recommended the SSV SS1 camshaft since I wanted to keep the stock converter. I installed the cam and replaced the lifters, Ryan remote tuned it with HP tuners. The cam woke the Camaro up. Lots more power, sounded nasty and it could be driven daily any where just like stock. The mod bug bite me again and I decided to look into supercharging. Again I called Aaron at GPI. He said I could keep the SS1 cam even though it was not a blower cam. I purchased the Magnuson Heartbeat from GPI. Aaron recommenced larger injectors, a smaller pulley on the supercharger and upgrading to the ZL1 fuel pump. I installed everything and Ryan remote tuned it for me. The Camaro is a beast now. I have not had the car on a dyno yet to see how much horsepower it actually makes but is a lot. The camshaft has been in the car for over 20,000 miles and the supercharger over 10,000 miles. It has been trouble-free so far. I'm getting ready to change the valve springs and upgrade to CHE rocker trunnions. You will be very pleased with the build. The Heartbeat is easy to install and is a very clean install. If you want a cold air intake, you need to go with the Roto-fab CAI to work with the Heartbeat. Good luck.
2012 SS Camaro, Victory Red w/black rally stripes, SLP front splitter, ZL1 Rocker panels, ZL1 Add-ons Stealth Wickerbill, L99, Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger, 65 lb. injectors, 87 mm pulley, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM,1 7/8 Texas Speed long tube headers, v-max ported throttle body, Rotofab cold air intake with Apex scoop, Apex catch can, MSD plug wires, AEM AFR and Boost gauges, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, HP tuners with remote tune by Ryan at GPI, Solo axleback exhaust w/j pipes and stock resonator.
RedTexasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
Att3mpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexasSS View Post
My plans for mods were headers, an exhaust and a tune. I would visit this forum everyday and read about everyone's builds. I never thought you could daily drive a vehicle with all mods. After the headers and tune, I decided to go with a cam. I contacted Aaron at GPI and he recommended the SSV SS1 camshaft since I wanted to keep the stock converter. I installed the cam and replaced the lifters, Ryan remote tuned it with HP tuners. The cam woke the Camaro up. Lots more power, sounded nasty and it could be driven daily any where just like stock. The mod bug bite me again and I decided to look into supercharging. Again I called Aaron at GPI. He said I could keep the SS1 cam even though it was not a blower cam. I purchased the Magnuson Heartbeat from GPI. Aaron recommenced larger injectors, a smaller pulley on the supercharger and upgrading to the ZL1 fuel pump. I installed everything and Ryan remote tuned it for me. The Camaro is a beast now. I have not had the car on a dyno yet to see how much horsepower it actually makes but is a lot. The camshaft has been in the car for over 20,000 miles and the supercharger over 10,000 miles. It has been trouble-free so far. I'm getting ready to change the valve springs and upgrade to CHE rocker trunnions. You will be very pleased with the build. The Heartbeat is easy to install and is a very clean install. If you want a cold air intake, you need to go with the Roto-fab CAI to work with the Heartbeat. Good luck.
Thank you so much for detailed response. I notice that you have been consistently answering all my questions on my build lol.

Do you ever feel like ss1 cam wasn't enough and regret not doing a bigger cam?
Does it become significantly more troublesome to get to the cam after the heartbeat install? Also how is your stock torque converter holding up after all the miles?

It is an extra $1320 to get the proper torque converter but I also have to factor in the cost of labor too :/ (ALSO would likely need a better trans cooler for the higher stall converter extra $$$$)

I am just at a lost. I know its much much better to install the cam and everything at once but also if I continue down this path ill never be Done lol.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
RedTexasSS

Drives: 2012 SS Red w/ black rally stripes
I have no regrets. The SS1 is actually not a small cam. If you get a chance, go to YouTube and search " 2014 L99 GPI SS1 Cam ". The SS1 sounds nasty. The stock torque converter has worked very well. When you cold start the car you can sense that the car is pushing on the brakes slightly, but not bad. At a stop light if you ease off the brakes a little you can feel the car rock just a bit when the cam is chopping. I actually like it, my wife will ask me why it does that and I laugh and tell it's because the beast wants to go. With the Heartbeat there is instant torque. I know a bigger cam would make more horsepower but my build has way more horsepower than I will ever need. You can smoke the tires just about anytime you want to at any speed. My set up makes about 8 1/2 pounds of boost. Everyone seems to agree 600 horsepower is pushing the limits of the automatic anyway. The Heartbeat is an easy install, things are a little tight at the rear near the firewall but about the same as changing an intake manifold. I would recommend doing the cam and supercharger at the same time if you can. You're going to have blast. Every where you go it will draw a crowd.
2012 SS Camaro, Victory Red w/black rally stripes, SLP front splitter, ZL1 Rocker panels, ZL1 Add-ons Stealth Wickerbill, L99, Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger, 65 lb. injectors, 87 mm pulley, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM,1 7/8 Texas Speed long tube headers, v-max ported throttle body, Rotofab cold air intake with Apex scoop, Apex catch can, MSD plug wires, AEM AFR and Boost gauges, GPI SS1 VVT Cam, HP tuners with remote tune by Ryan at GPI, Solo axleback exhaust w/j pipes and stock resonator.
RedTexasSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #12
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If you are paying someone to do it, doing the cam and charger at the same time will save you money in the long run. I made 574WHP 515TQ with my whipple on the stock cam though, you may be happy with just the charger if you want to save money. I did the installs myself and don't have the auto so no afm delete to do, so when I did the cam I didn't have to pull the heads or charger. There is no real overlap with doing the converter so that will cost the same no matter when you do it other than retuning.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Att3mpt View Post
I recently just purchased a Heartbeat supercharger kit and about to buy additional fueling upgrades from Jannetty racing.

I am facing a couple of dilemmas,
Whether to just install a the supercharger with the supporting mods

OR

Dish out additional $ for a l99 to ls3 conversion and a GPI SS1 Blower cam which allows me to keep my stock converters

OR

Wait almost another year to do the l99 to ls3 conversion and a bigger Blower cam from GPI and also get the stock converters....

Anyone here with a l99 heartbeat with GPI SS1 blower cam with stock converters that can weigh in and give their opinions? Is it better to at least do the l99 to ls3 swap with blower cam at the same time as the super charger?

Thanks
Thank you we appreciate your business.

I would be happy to have a discussion and answer all your questions.

Give me a call.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cam, gpi, l99, magnuson heartbeat, positive displacement