#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #43
Mike Aruba

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Before you change anything you might want to have someone with a lot of experience drive your car and see what their opinion is.

This.
Mike Aruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #44
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
Understeer scared the shit out of me and I am intimately familiar with it due to some underwear changing moments. Not to mention I struggled with it for over a year before I finally decided after changing tires from Assymetric to Michelins to Supecar3's that I had eliminated the most obvious variables.

Thankfully I caught those of shit moments with both in cabin and out footage so I could better watch my hand movements.

Oversteer I've not encountered.

After more thought I can't dismiss what you are saying in part because I have never experienced oversteer.

I only know when the assymetrics are bald, you turn the wheel and the car goes straight. Classic example of understeer. That behavior continued on through the lackluster MSP4S and to a much lesser extent with the SUPERCAR3'S until I had the car aligned.

I can tell you I do tend to drive with the nannies on so I imagine any oversteer may be corrected by that.
Ass all over the place is a good indication of oversteer.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #45
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Your ass was all over the place most likely due to 0 rear toe. Nobody i know runs their car with 0 rear toe and neither do i.
I had mentioned this in my prior post.
Leave the camber as is and ask him to dial some rear toe in: 0.10 total to start. If this still feels too loose increase rear camber to 1.6 and you should be golden.
Cheers!

PS For autox turn all nannies off.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #46
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Understeer scared the shit out of me and I am intimately familiar with it due to some underwear changing moments. Not to mention I struggled with it for over a year before I finally decided after changing tires from Assymetric to Michelins to Supecar3's that I had eliminated the most obvious variables.

Thankfully I caught those of shit moments with both in cabin and out footage so I could better watch my hand movements.

Oversteer I've not encountered.

After more thought I can't dismiss what you are saying in part because I have never experienced oversteer.

I only know when the assymetrics are bald, you turn the wheel and the car goes straight. Classic example of understeer. That behavior continued on through the lackluster MSP4S and to a much lesser extent with the SUPERCAR3'S until I had the car aligned.

I can tell you I do tend to drive with the nannies on so I imagine any oversteer may be corrected by that.

Where were your air pressures at during your runs. Oversteer like that doesnt sound normal.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:32 PM   #47
TrackClub

This thread has every design of becoming something like: "how it took 10 visits and $2000 to get an alignment"

But seriously, Val, 5hrs to do an alignment, even by "traditional means" is just a wee bit absurd.
I think your guy is proly bored and really likes your company. And likely will seek more of your attention as time progresses. Or maybe he will simply empty your wallet...Obviously i have not a clue. Except that he is not going about it the most expeditious way.

GM has published proper specs: use them with one exception: max out F camber. That's it. Everyone here has been doing it since the gen6 came out. There is no wheel to get reinvented. Simple. Everything else is just theoritical musings and a pile of horse $hit regardless of how much experience one may have. Unless your suspension is broken, which is a completely different subject.

Ive had my own experience with an aged Hall of Fame star, which turned truly bizarre. But i wont share its details, as they are unrelated. Except that somebody's past is not always relevant to the present, or future.

A proper alignment is not rocket science. It is up to you to make the process simple. But, if you enjoy those visits and lool forward to many more, then that's a completely different subject now

Cheers!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:55 PM   #48
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
This thread has every design of becoming something like: "how it took 10 visits and $2000 to get an alignment"

But seriously, Val, 5hrs to do an alignment, even by "traditional means" is just a wee bit absurd.
I think your guy is proly bored and really likes your company. And likely will seek more of your attention as time progresses. Or maybe he will simply empty your wallet...Obviously i have not a clue. Except that he is not going about it the most expeditious way.

GM has published proper specs: use them with one exception: max out F camber. That's it. Everyone here has been doing it since the gen6 came out. There is no wheel to get reinvented. Simple. Everything else is just theoritical musings and a pile of horse $hit regardless of how much experience one may have. Unless your suspension is broken, which is a completely different subject.

Ive had my own experience with an aged Hall of Fame star, which turned truly bizarre. But i wont share its details, as they are unrelated. Except that somebody's past is not always relevant to the present, or future.

A proper alignment is not rocket science. It is up to you to make the process simple. But, if you enjoy those visits and lool forward to many more, then that's a completely different subject now

Cheers!
The five hours thing is 1 hour of the lazers not zeroing correctly. 1 hour of jaw jacking. 2 hours of work. I also bs'd with another mechanic in the shop.

I have 2.4 up front and 1.4 in the rear per GM specs. We didn't reinvent the wheel . But I dislike the way it is and i will be changing it back.

End of story. First alignment was free. Second one was $120, not sure about this last one. I think he's doing the lifetime adjustments thing. Like what Firestone does.

No long drawn out thing..
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:23 PM   #49
TrackClub

Quote:
The five hours thing is 1 hour of the lazers not zeroing correctly. 1 hour of jaw jacking. 2 hours of work. I also bs'd with another mechanic in the shop.

I have 2.4 up front and 1.4 in the rear per GM specs. We didn't reinvent the wheel . But I dislike the way it is and i will be changing it back.

End of story. First alignment was free. Second one was $120, not sure about this last one. I think he's doing the lifetime adjustments thing. Like what Firestone does.

No long drawn out thing..
Val, the fact you liked the original set up doesnt mean you wont like a PROPER set up better.

Your current set up is NOT per GM specs! Neither camber nor toe (the latter being crucial). Look it up please.

2.4F 1.6R and 0.10 R toe should not only solve your handling issues, but also assure of proper tire wear (which you won't get if your car is set up for a mid engine config).

That's all i am gonna say. All the best and enjoy the hobby! Cheers!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #50
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
If she likes the car setup towards understeer then that's clearly how she is going to get it setup. She's not going to listen to us and she's not a track rat. I would now recommend just going with -1.0 camber at all 4 wheels zero toe up front and a little toe in in the rear.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #51
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
If she likes the car setup towards understeer then that's clearly how she is going to get it setup. She's not going to listen to us and she's not a track rat. I would now recommend just going with -1.0 camber at all 4 wheels zero toe up front and a little toe in in the rear.
Agree, but either that guys is cluless by changing the camber and leaving the R toe at zero, or he did it on purprose, simply to see her back. Now if she reverts back to the original specs (backwards, in which case zero R toe may work fine), she will be back again with prematurely worn out tires: F on the outside and R on the inside. One way, or the other his "strategy" that proper alignment requires multiple visits and multiple payments (an obvious and utter BS) will be realized fully and her wallet much lighter. It is obvious she has neither checked GM recommended base specs, nor understands how various alignment specs work (yet) and is rightly looking for guidance (kudos). Unfortunately, she is being unduly influenced by a wrong "expert". I feel sorry for her.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:44 PM   #52
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
I thought it was only the rear camber and toe eccentric bolts that were TTY?

Anyone know if this information is outdated now? https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502324

i'm wondering this too. I'm now starting to think the fronts are TTY, since it instructs to tighten with a second pass of 80-90degrees.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote