Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Arrow LFX upgrades

I know how it is to be a V8 guys and wonder why someone would ever want to try and build up a V6 when you can just get a V8. Well, i had an opportunity to own a V6 and while i'm still a power-hungry big block lovers, i'm really enjoying doing the things myself and learning about this engine.

The LFX is very much different then it's predecessor, the LLT, as well as it's successor, the LGX in the 6th gens. The LLT is able to add headers where the LFX is a single tube coming off the block, and the LGX can actually get a supercharger top mounted from Edelbrock. So, that being said, this post is for us to see what we have done, what worked, what didn't work, and so on.

GM rated this engine at 323 hp and 278 lbft of torque at sea level. Here in southern Arizona sea level is about 2600 ft below ground. So where did that put my car realistically? Nov '18, with a DA of 3303 ft, "Christine" dynos at 249.7 rwhp, with just a cold air intake added. Mathematically speaking, that puts the engine near 287.1 hp. Torque wasn't as much of a drop coming in at 257.3 lbft at the wheels, 283 at the crank.

Since then, I've removed the 72mm throttle body and installed a 80mm. I sent out my intake manifold to get ported, then placed that over a 1" (25mm) spacer. I then upgraded the stock ignition coils with Accel Super Coils. The MAF sensor has also been upgraded to a JET performance sensor. With all this, the throttle response is amazing. No lagging, no dead spots during acceleration. Just a little gas, and she goes fast. I've also lowered her stance by 1.8" up front and 1.7" in the back. The car now sits at 52" tall (minus the shark fin).

Dyno'd last month, still during the 'learning' phase on the ecm, it had 280.4 rwhp and 304 rwtq. So, at that point, i improved tq and get the hp back to where it would be at sea level. I haven't been to the drag strip yet (Jan 10th) to see if i've improved from Jan '19s time of 14.96 @ 96 mph in the 1/4 mile.

What i did try but uninstalled: first cai was 3.5" tube. After the above listed upgrades, I tried a 4" tube but I'm guessing it was too much past the ecm's threshold of learning without a tune. The car had returned to breathing through the 3.5" tube for the latter dyno.

So, what have you done with your LFX V6?
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
This is my daily, so I'm not planning on doing any extensive mods. I've added a catch can and plan on getting a ported throttle body at some point. That's about all I have on my list.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:57 AM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wash and wax,but yours is an interesting and informative post.i give you credit for not being afraid to mess with all the high tech on this engine.had a big block pontiac for 25 years and by the end of that time it was pretty fast and all done at my house or a friends shop.my camaro is 5 years old now and im sure it will start needing work,so i will be hitting the DIY section of the forum as needed.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #4
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
All I've added to mine, performance wise, is a CAI intake box and Motul 600 brake fluid.

As for the altitude, I recently drove out to NM and I could tell I was way up above the 500 or so feet I normally drive at. Really made this thing work for its miles. I need to get the top end cleaned and get that catch can installed but I think that'll wait until the warranty expires in Sep '20. That's when I plan to move forward with several mods. The first will be an Overkill Tune and I plan to do most of the bolt-ons after that, 80mm throttle, ported manifold with the spacer. Still haven't settled on axle-back yet though.

I will be watching this thread and hoping to see your build thread over here.

It'll be more than interesting to watch it come along and see the numbers you report.