Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
High Mileage V8 Owners: Any actual problems from oil build-up on valves?

We know that our DI engines can experience a build-up of oil gunk on the valves. We know that this happens to DI cars in general, not just ours.

My question is: Have you guys with lots of miles actually experienced any running or drivability problems?

If so, can you please tell us what those problems were and at what mileage they appeared?
Old 09-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I'm at 10k miles. No issues. No catch can.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
This is an issue as you correctly mention in all GDI engines, and the LT based GM V8's are no difference. Here is a before and after test documented on the dyno at 20k miles .

The first run is as the car came in, always using full synthetic oil and not babied. Second run is after a manual valve cleaning. As you can see in just 20k miles, the engine lost app. 20 whp that was regained with a manual cleaning.

Car was bone stock, no mods.

Our E2-X Dual valve system prevents up to 85% of this coking, improves fuel economy by removing the oil and other contaminants that cause knock retard, and keeps the engine oil clean longer as we remove the contaminants prior to having a chance to settle and mix with the oil.

As you can see below at 5500 miles, the coking begins as soon as the engine is running:

This may appear minor, but keep in mind the shape, finish, stem, all are designed to flow equally and efficiently. When you have this coking start airflow into each cylinder will gradually become unequal and some cylinders will run lean while other rich as the same amount of fuel is still delivered to each. The more the deposits build, the greater this disparity becomes.

Here is a LS cylinder head with 142,000 miles on it to show zero deposits as the fuel constantly cooled and cleaned them:

The other thing to be aware of is these deposits, as there is no cooling from fuel, run far higher temps and this bakes the deposits into hard abrasive crystalline composition.

Here is when they become so severe there are misfires, stumble hesitation, and noticeable power loss:

Also keep in mind as the GDI injectors are introducing fuel at 2,000-3,000 PSI, many times the fuel is pushed past the rings washing the oil from the cylinder walls and diluting the engine oil. Our system also removes this excess fuel before it can mix and thin the oil further.

As always, ask questions. We have focused on the GDI engines since 2010 and have a good amount of data to share in keeping these new engines alive and long lasting.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Uncle has three fleet trucks with the DI 5.3 (2015 models) that are all over 130k and going strong, no telling what the valves look like though. I for one put on a catch can as it is cheap and it can’t hurt.
70chevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #5
KevinTernes

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The OP was asking if any high-mileage owners actually experienced any running or drivability problems.

Since the LT-1 has been out since '13, we should have plenty of 100,000+ mile non-catch canned vehicles from which to examine the valves.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTernes View Post
The OP was asking if any high-mileage owners actually experienced any running or drivability problems.

Since the LT-1 has been out since '13, we should have plenty of 100,000+ mile non-catch canned vehicles from which to examine the valves.

Well the 5.3 in the trucks is based on the same architecture so it should be comparable as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
My Mazdapeed 3 DI engine has over 160k miles. Still running strong. I'm sure there is some build up but can't tell. Butt dyno says the power is still there. Car idles the same as always.

Unless some catastrophic failure takes place, the inside of my LT1 will never see daylight. Don't fix what ain't broke, change your oil often (preferably full synth) and you'll have a happy engine.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'd be specifically interested to know if the example above is from a 2016 or later Camaro SS. Its implied, but not stated.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen on the newer LT1...I believe it is still an issue. But the LT1 in the Camaro was the first to come with a factory catch can that is supposed to help with this particular issue. It only covers one path, while these catch cans you see offered from the various vendors are designed to catch oil deposits from the other possible path (I think referred to as the "dirty" side...is that right?)

I had an Elite catch can that I had picked up used for this car, but in the end decided to sell it because of a few stories I had read on here where they ended up affecting warranties (not specific to the Elite cans...just in general), and I do not want to take any chances with this car. I'm not afraid to mod, as I certainly blew my warranty all to pieces on my 2010 Camaro, but this time around, I'm keeping things "closer" to stock. lol.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
I'm approaching 18k...no oil use at all between changes so I assume I get little blowback. No CC.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
the problem is real but i think forum paranoia reigns supreme because we are enthusists....for a normal DD you'll have no problem in 100k miles.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
I have a CC installed on mine... The last time I changed the oil a few weeks ago, lets just say I'm glad it's there.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
the problem is real but i think forum paranoia reigns supreme because we are enthusists....for a normal DD you'll have no problem in 100k miles.....
That's kind of what I was wondering about, Glen. If we get some people with high mileage, e.g., 75,000 or higher, posting, we may learn something more. I am reluctant to draw a conclusion with so little data.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Exactly. Older DI motors like early BMW's that started adopting it before it was fully understood had problems with buildup so now everyone is paranoid and thinks that is the norm. The people selling the catch cans are going to fuel the paranoia more with "dyno numbers" showing why you should buy their product or your car will lose all its power and die in a fire.

In reality, I doubt we will ever see any buildup on DI motors anymore. They have been on Hondas since 2013 and we have many 200+k mile fleet cars with zero problems.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:27 PM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
have 36,000 on my 2015 LFX motor.very little if any oil useage between changes every 5k.nothing wrong with it that i can see,i do wonder if the catch can companies are wanting to move more product.possibly as you get closer to 150 k miles youd get more blowby and valve coking though.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote