Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #15
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Get estimates before you talk to the insurance agent. My opinion is that $3000 or less, pay out of pocket because it is going to cost you at least that much in trade in value if you have an insurance claim on the car.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #16
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Perhaps it would be best to fix it as cheaply as possible and then trade it in on another one?

Yes, a newer car repainted by a dealer would stop me from buying it. That is, when there are so many more Camaros with factory virgin paint still on them.
If the job was done correctly and in the right areas, you'd have no idea any paint work had been done.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #17
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Get estimates before you talk to the insurance agent. My opinion is that $3000 or less, pay out of pocket because it is going to cost you at least that much in trade in value if you have an insurance claim on the car.
No it's not going to take a $3000 hit in trade in value. Come on... Nearly half the cars we have traded in have a mark on the carfax and unless we plan on making it a CPO car, it doesn't affect the trade in value hardly at all.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #18
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Fender repair is probably run around $600, the bumper cover may need to be replaced, if so, I would turn this one in.

Depends on his deductible. If $500 then I would pay out of pocket. His insurance rates will increase more than that over 3 years unless he has accident forgiveness even then I would save that for a possible more expensive repair.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
No it's not going to take a $3000 hit in trade in value. Come on... Nearly half the cars we have traded in have a mark on the carfax and unless we plan on making it a CPO car, it doesn't affect the trade in value hardly at all.
This is exactly what happened to me. I had a metal shed blow into my car for $2000 worth of damage. I filed an insurance claim. I went to trade my car. The application asked "Has an insurance claim been filed on this vehicle?"

I said "yes." The offer went from $24000 to $21000 because of the insurance claim.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #20
RunRS9114

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2SS, A8, NPP
I had someone back in to me in a similar location (thankfully I was inside the car when it happened). It ended up costing $3600 at the shop I had the insurance company use. Luckily it was his insurance company and not mine.

"Would you not like to be, sitting on top of the world with your legs hanging free?"
RunRS9114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #21
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
This is exactly what happened to me. I had a metal shed blow into my car for $2000 worth of damage. I filed an insurance claim. I went to trade my car. The application asked "Has an insurance claim been filed on this vehicle?"

I said "yes." The offer went from $24000 to $21000 because of the insurance claim.
It happened to you because you believed what a salesman told you. Those "checklists" they make you do are to devalue the car so they can take advantage of you. NADA, Kelly, Blue and black book, none value off of previous insurance claims. They basically just made $3000 off of you.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #22
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
It happened to you because you believed what a salesman told you. Those "checklists" they make you do are to devalue the car so they can take advantage of you. NADA, Kelly, Blue and black book, none value off of previous insurance claims. They basically just made $3000 off of you.
Interesting. No I didn't trade it, I was just researching.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #23
mgwarlock
Nightfall Gray Blackout

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Sorry bud.
Forgive and forget. Enjoy your ride.
mgwarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #24
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Interesting. No I didn't trade it, I was just researching.
Well if you do look to trade again, don't let them use that against you. I used to work at Swope over in Louisville by you and they were horrible about using tactics like that on customers.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #25
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if you plan on keeping the car, regardless of how long, you need to be happy with it. It's an insurance job, get as much fixed as you can. Good Luck!
+1
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #26
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
I asked the body shop and the insurance company specifically about Carfax. They insurance company gave me something along the lines that since I am not the insured, I am the claimant, they don't have the authority to report the claim. The body shop told me they do not report any repair work to any databases either. So there may be a way for you guys to get this worked out without having it reported. It's a total bummer to lose a good chunk of market value just because some cosmetic repair was needed.