Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2020, 03:50 AM   #1
fuzzum111

Drives: 2018 Rs Camaro
New information with LGX E-Force Supercharger and changes

Hey guys, I posted a while back that I had an LGX Camaro I slapped an Edelbrock supercharger on.

I decided I wanted more power, so I'd toss a smaller pully on it. It comes stock a 3.5" pully making 6psi of boost. The S/C is rated up to 10PSI, or a 3.00" pully.

I spent...an annoying amount of time ordering parts. Ordering a full range between 3.25-2.75" All the info we could find said 12PSI was more than workable for this system, as in the block, and the S/C would take it.

My shop in the meantime had my car and were doing research to find out information.

They ended up not liking the Intake manifold temps getting above 150F with the 3.00" pully, and supposedly the EGT was getting hotter than what they were comfortable with for a daily driver. They wouldn't even put the 2.75 on as they were worried it would melt the piston rings with repeated pulls. Apparently 150F is perfectly fine for Intake air temps. 200 is where you need to worry?

They ended telling me I needed a water-meth system to cool the EGT, due to us not having E-85 available. I opted to not do this as it seemed the most complicated way to fix a problem. I have 92 pump gas available.

However we ended up with the 3.25" pully on, making 8psi. They had to pull timing to remove all the spark knock that was present from the beginning with Edelbrocks pully and tune.

That said the car still runs well, and it should be on a good day about 370WHP. Shy of the 400WHP we were chasing, but I'll need high flow cats, or a catless system to help wake the engine up. They suggested headers too, but I'm not sure if I can even change headers on this block?

Lastly, I had a Foster S/C whine mod installed and it sounds great in-cabin and is still silent on the outside. Have a look and listen.

Let me know what you guys think of their suggestions, or if you think they're being too careful with the tuning? I've been suggested a larger intercooler to help with temps some, but I know more boost = higher EGT, but more fuel and timing can help with that without losing all the power it gains from the boost?

https://gfycat.com/glitteringwellworngangesdolphin

And yes, the GPS speed is really lagging behind, the car isn't accelerating that slow XD
fuzzum111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
If you dyno tuned the car, it’d be interesting to see the data logs...
Old 07-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
LGX V6 has integral exhaust manifold, i.e. only one big opening to the exhaust. So it can't take headers. I would be frankly disappointed with a bigger pulley and tuning the car is 30+ WHP below a stock SS. Don't get me wrong, I luv the idea of doing something outside the norm. I originally wanted a turbo Camaro just to full around with the 4 banger, one of my two Challengers had a surcharged V6. I just feel that 370 WHP is a major fail for the effort, realistically (have to wait to see the dyno and if it is SAE, or the unicorn horsepower know as STD), this setup is adding a whole lot of heat for 75 engine HP (based on what it is putting to the wheels vs stock SS).
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I'm thinking it's either the dyno, or all the timing they pulled on pump gas, along with stock cats and exhaust. On meth you should easily make over 400 in my opinion
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
LGX V6 has integral exhaust manifold, i.e. only one big opening to the exhaust. So it can't take headers. I would be frankly disappointed with a bigger pulley and tuning the car is 30+ WHP below a stock SS. Don't get me wrong, I luv the idea of doing something outside the norm. I originally wanted a turbo Camaro just to full around with the 4 banger, one of my two Challengers had a surcharged V6. I just feel that 370 WHP is a major fail for the effort, realistically (have to wait to see the dyno and if it is SAE, or the unicorn horsepower know as STD), this setup is adding a whole lot of heat for 75 engine HP (based on what it is putting to the wheels vs stock SS).
Agreed, I believe water/meth injection, and gutted primary catalytics will allow you the smaller pulley to achieve that 400 whp. Easier said than done with those head integrated exhaust manifolds as old man said.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
oldman

I don't like gutting the cats (call me a tree hugger), do it right with two high flow catted down pipes, any competent shop could actually build them. Turn down the boost (making hot air), and get some water / meth injection. Work from there.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
fuzzum111

Drives: 2018 Rs Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post

So part of what I understand, is this shop's Dyno must read really low. Stock 5.0's and SS's read about 370~ wheel sometimes less on their Dyno. So I'm making the same power as what they read, so on a proper Dynojet or Mustang dyno I suspect my numbers might be higher.

Further if I have them do high flow cats and a full exhaust from like Borla I should be able to pick up another 20WHP give or take without making any other changes. It sucks I can't do headers but it makes sense with what you guys are saying.

I won't do water-meth for cooling as that will make it 10x harder to sell to anyone if I want to dump this for my vette down the road. Timing and more fuel should keep the temps in a safe range if we want to make more power?
fuzzum111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #8
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzum111 View Post
So part of what I understand, is this shop's Dyno must read really low. Stock 5.0's and SS's read about 370~ wheel sometimes less on their Dyno. So I'm making the same power as what they read, so on a proper Dynojet or Mustang dyno I suspect my numbers might be higher.

Further if I have them do high flow cats and a full exhaust from like Borla I should be able to pick up another 20WHP give or take without making any other changes. It sucks I can't do headers but it makes sense with what you guys are saying.

I won't do water-meth for cooling as that will make it 10x harder to sell to anyone if I want to dump this for my vette down the road. Timing and more fuel should keep the temps in a safe range if we want to make more power?
More fuel is not going to lower your egt and intake temperatures, but water methanol or e85 will. More fuel just means running a richer air fuel ratio. Your v6 is choking on the factory exhaust, your catalytics are causing your high egt because they were never designed to flow all that extra air. Either make sacrifices or stay at 8 lbs, you can't have your cake and eat it too.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzum111 View Post

The choke point is likely going to be the factory cats. I bet addressing that area alone will make a substantial improvement.

I would put a flex fuel sensor on it and run a mix of E. Not sure what fueling options there are for the LGX(haven't researched them a ton) but if you can get to E50-E60 mix my guess is you will pick up 40+whp pretty easy. Pump gas is a big limitation on these high compression DI engines...especially with boost.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
The choke point is likely going to be the factory cats. I bet addressing that area alone will make a substantial improvement.

I would put a flex fuel sensor on it and run a mix of E. Not sure what fueling options there are for the LGX(haven't researched them a ton) but if you can get to E50-E60 mix my guess is you will pick up 40+whp pretty easy. Pump gas is a big limitation on these high compression DI engines...especially with boost.
Unfortunately, the ECU in the V6 camaro does not support a flex fuel sensor. They can be tuned to run on E85, but you would be stuck running E85 all the time. If you did not have access to E85, you would need to have the ability to retune for whatever octane fuel you have access to, and you would need to run as much of the E85 out of the system, prior to changing the tune.

Just one of the many letdowns on the V6 camaro.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Damn that is crazy since all of the 3.6 engines GM put in the small SUV's have Flexfuel as a option.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
oldman

you should see 7 to 8% increase in engine HP for each PSI of intercooled boost. Turbos tend higher increases, roots FI lower. So you can see why I say put the "stock" 6 PSI pulley back on and look at other issues (tune, high flow cats).