Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross


JUICEDMOTORSPORTS


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #57
Move_Over
 
Drives: ISO ss 1le
Join Date: May 2018
Location: FL
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
You bet, this discussion is not for tires for this year, but potentially next year or the year after.
I also want to do the best I can with the stock/factory tires but I won't be able to be as patient as you that's for sure.
Thanks for the feedback.
Cool, i just saw you getting excited about slicks and i remembered when i first started tracking a coach had the same discussions with me and i'm so glad i waited. Slicks don't have much room for overdriving, they grip like hell, then let go, don't really like to be too sideways etc. Street tires you can modulate that slide easier, they talk, let you know what they are doing and when they want to let go. Slicks whisper at you then send your ass end out.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #58
NickyRacerBoy

 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
John doesn't seem to offer any slicks in 19", perhaps that's because he doesn't sell Pirelli slicks?
They make them. Buddy has zl1 1le and runs DH on stock rims.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #59
NickyRacerBoy

 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Wouldn't the DH last a lot longer?
I heard front R7's cord in 1 to 2 track days due to insufficient camber.

Not necessarily. I had a set of DH takeoffs that had for 4/32 on the inside wear indicator and 3/32 on the outside and I got five sessions and that was it
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #60
NickyRacerBoy

 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 832
If you were running 18 inch rims I will send you a free set of takeoffs you pay for shipping
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #61
NickyRacerBoy

 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 832
I run my car pretty hard with stock magnetic ride suspension. I have no complaints. Sure I could go into a lengthy discussion but I kept it short and sweet.

Last edited by NickyRacerBoy; 06-12-2019 at 11:30 PM.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 AM   #62
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Slicks don't have much room for overdriving, they grip like hell, then let go, don't really like to be too sideways etc. Street tires you can modulate that slide easier, they talk, let you know what they are doing and when they want to let go. Slicks whisper at you then send your ass end out.
Good to know!
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:57 AM   #63
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Not necessarily. I had a set of DH takeoffs that had for 4/32 on the inside wear indicator and 3/32 on the outside and I got five sessions and that was it
That's fast, would you say that's normal?
Any special circumstances that led to that high wear rate?
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 AM   #64
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
They make them. Buddy has zl1 1le and runs DH on stock rims.
Not sure I understand your response;
To clarify do you mean John sells slicks in 19"?
I didn't see any on their website, perhaps I need to contact him directly
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #65
Move_Over
 
Drives: ISO ss 1le
Join Date: May 2018
Location: FL
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Not sure I understand your response;
To clarify do you mean John sells slicks in 19"?
I didn't see any on their website, perhaps I need to contact him directly
Yes JB tire is old school and his website is rarely up to date. Give him a call
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #66
NickyRacerBoy

 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Not sure I understand your response;
To clarify do you mean John sells slicks in 19"?
I didn't see any on their website, perhaps I need to contact him directly
Yes he does sell.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #67
NickyRacerBoy

 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
That's fast, would you say that's normal?
Any special circumstances that led to that high wear rate?
I push the car hard. From what others say they get out of them is not what I've seen. It's all relative on skill level. Andy Lee who is Pirelli World Challenge Series driver told me after just 5 laps they fall off. He was at my last track day and coached me. See my thread video.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #68
NickyRacerBoy

 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Yes JB tire is old school and his website is rarely up to date. Give him a call
He is excellent in answering the phone . anytime I called he answers
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #69
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
I push the car hard. From what others say they get out of them is not what I've seen. It's all relative on skill level. Andy Lee who is Pirelli World Challenge Series driver told me after just 5 laps they fall off. He was at my last track day and coached me. See my thread video.
Gotchya, I'll check that out
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 AM   #70
GunMetalGrey
 
GunMetalGrey's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Victoria B.C. Canada
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Yes JB tire is old school and his website is rarely up to date. Give him a call
I see, ok
__________________
Racing is fun, but really living life means looking outside yourself, not just your car window.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
coilover, dssv, track, zle

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.