Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 12-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Tune only

In an effort to stay stock and pass emissions, what can a “tune only” accomplish? Thank you
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
ECU side about 9-10whp on 93 octane. The A8 picks up a significant amount tuning the TCM and addressing the ass load of torque management in the system.

I don't see how you would not pass emissions with a flex fuel sensor and tune. Actually you should be able to do Prays ported stock IM/TB, Rotofab dry, flex sensor, and pass emissions. That should net about 45-50whp gain.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
ECU side about 9-10whp on 93 octane. The A8 picks up a significant amount tuning the TCM and addressing the ass load of torque management in the system.

I don't see how you would not pass emissions with a flex fuel sensor and tune. Actually you should be able to do Prays ported stock IM/TB, Rotofab dry, flex sensor, and pass emissions. That should net about 45-50whp gain.
Interesting. I did know that that doesn’t affect emissions.
I have taken a screenshot of your suggestions.
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #4
Vrodviddy

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss
not really worth it IMO. Tune can cost 800$ and you won't really notice a difference. At minimum e85 and tune if you want a noticeable gain. And technically, once you tune its not stock anymore anyways. e85 actually releases less then 93 when it comes to emissions. So if anything would help.
Vrodviddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrodviddy View Post
not really worth it IMO. Tune can cost 800$ and you won't really notice a difference. At minimum e85 and tune if you want a noticeable gain. And technically, once you tune its not stock anymore anyways. e85 actually releases less then 93 when it comes to emissions. So if anything would help.
Got it thanks. Sounds like a slippery slope when it comes to mods.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Got it thanks. Sounds like a slippery slope when it comes to mods.

Not really, too many people and especially the younger people want 20+ hp gains for each mod and for it to cost $100 or less for each mod. Those years have come and gone.

With the basic mods you can still pass emissions and as King said gain anywhere from 15-50 hp at the wheels depending on what route you go. Costs can be kept down assuming you can do the install of the hard parts yourself.

Here is a simple and easy bolt on mod list:

CAI of some sort (I prefer RF CAI with the dry filter)
Pray Performance ported OEM throttle body and intake manifold
E85 flex fuel kit
Catback or axleback exhaust (nice sound increase & minor HP increase)
Under-drive crank pulley
ECM tune and or TCM tune

From here it gets harder to get more HP and stay emission complaint depending on where you live.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
What under-drive crank bully is everybody using
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you say you want to stay stock. just so you know a tune will void the drivetrain warranty. So no need to stay stock. Its going to cost $600 to unlock your ECU and TCM + labor for the tune. you will notice a difference with the transmission and torque management. Depends what the money is worth to you. id recommend E85 if you can get it at the pump near you. E85 the best mod for the LT1.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Not really, too many people and especially the younger people want 20+ hp gains for each mod and for it to cost $100 or less for each mod. Those years have come and gone.

With the basic mods you can still pass emissions and as King said gain anywhere from 15-50 hp at the wheels depending on what route you go. Costs can be kept down assuming you can do the install of the hard parts yourself.

Here is a simple and easy bolt on mod list:

CAI of some sort (I prefer RF CAI with the dry filter)
Pray Performance ported OEM throttle body and intake manifold
E85 flex fuel kit
Catback or axleback exhaust (nice sound increase & minor HP increase)
Under-drive crank pulley
ECM tune and or TCM tune

From here it gets harder to get more HP and stay emission complaint depending on where you live.
Thank you for your suggestions! Does pray have a website? Are they only on Facebook?
Old 12-31-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
you say you want to stay stock. just so you know a tune will void the drivetrain warranty. So no need to stay stock. Its going to cost $600 to unlock your ECU and TCM + labor for the tune. you will notice a difference with the transmission and torque management. Depends what the money is worth to you. id recommend E85 if you can get it at the pump near you. E85 the best mod for the LT1.
Yes, contemplating waiting until warranty runs out. Great info thank you. Are these improvements enjoyed by M6?
Old 12-31-2019, 10:46 PM   #11
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
E85 is. A tune on a M6 helps some because the LT1 is torque based. You dont gain much power but you can get more of the available power.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:47 AM   #12
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I had no idea you couldn't tune these cars either if you were concerned with warranty. The guys over on the Challenger forum were saying the same thing and I thought it was just a Dodge being anal. Also to make it worse if you wanted to take a chance, it sounds like the results aren't really worth it unless you do some supporting mods. Times must have really changed. I haven't done anything to my past two Mustangs, but when I had a genesis coupe 2.0T 6 or 7 years ago I just did a CAI and tune and it gained like 40hp and 80tq and the dealer didn't say anything when I turned it in. Granted I know turbos gain more and easier, but still. Since I'm still trying to decide what car to go with and don't have plans of going big on mods (just would like something for a little kick more than stock like maybe 30-40hp), what would you guys recommend? Maybe just stay with a Mustang?
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobcat View Post
I had no idea you couldn't tune these cars either if you were concerned with warranty. The guys over on the Challenger forum were saying the same thing and I thought it was just a Dodge being anal. Also to make it worse if you wanted to take a chance, it sounds like the results aren't really worth it unless you do some supporting mods. Times must have really changed. I haven't done anything to my past two Mustangs, but when I had a genesis coupe 2.0T 6 or 7 years ago I just did a CAI and tune and it gained like 40hp and 80tq and the dealer didn't say anything when I turned it in. Granted I know turbos gain more and easier, but still. Since I'm still trying to decide what car to go with and don't have plans of going big on mods (just would like something for a little kick more than stock like maybe 30-40hp), what would you guys recommend? Maybe just stay with a Mustang?
You'll probably find reputable tuners and bolt ons to be similar in price in the mustang and camaro world but probably a little cheaper for mustangs as far as after market support. Porting the stock or after market TB and IM seem more common in the camaro community but mustangs pick up quite a bit on just cai and e85 tunes from what I've seen. Neither car is as cheap to tune and mod as 90s cars.

Your gen 2 coyote doesn't have the same NA or bolt on potential as an lt1 or gen 3 coyote, but it's definately more boost capable than the lt1 for less money and better vetted for boost than the gen 3 coyote if you decide to go that route.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #14
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Thanks. I guess I should have looked at tuning and mods earlier in my search. It does look like adding the e85 flex fuel kit is pretty safe and should pick up about 20hp without any other mods and shouldn't effect warranty, correct? I'm assuming you don't even need a tune with it as I saw some Youtube videos of people adding them to various cars and they said they were just plug and play and the device adjusts for the amount of ethanol you use. If this is the case, it sounds like an easy mod unless you do have to get it tuned to pick up extra hp. Only downside I see is the closest station that carries it is about 20 miles away.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote