Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-15-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Snowwolfe

Drives: CTV5 V Blackwing on order
Interior space and other questions

Greetings members,
I have a C8 on order but am considering cancelling the order as it is still 6 months out. How does the interior space of the 2020 ZL1 compare to the C7 Corvette?
Do you regret not having front cameras or can they be added from the aftermarket?
Are you happy with the comfort of the front seats?
I am not a skinny guy, 5'10 230. Old (66) but flexible, lol.
Have owned Mustangs and Corvettes in the past but never a Camaro. If I bought a ZL1 it would definitely be a A10. Shifting gets old, especially after doing it for 50 years.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I can respond but only from an 18 ZL1 standpoint. I sat in a C8 Z51 at Corvettes at Carlisle last year but don't have any drive time like most. I'm also 6'3" 300+. I sat in a C7 Z06 the year prior and it was uncomfortably tight. I had a hard time getting in and out of it without any head room. My line of sight was at the sun visor with the seat all the way down and back. The C8 had plenty of headroom and no issues climbing in and out.

The ZL1 has a fairly tight interior, but that's the nature of the best. So comparing it to a C8 is kind of silly if you're measuring which is tighter than the other. However, the C8 has the sharkfin thing in the center and definitely feels more like a cockpit in the driver seat. I think it's roomy enough not to feel claustrophobic, but it's certainly close quarters.

I wish the ZL1 had a front camera option. You could buy some aftermarket thing or the Gen5DIY conversion, although I'm unsure what is compatible since the last time I looked.

The ZL1 seats, in my opinion, are awesome. They were tight at first, but fit perfect now and are very sturdy and form fitting. I feel like I could drive the car across the country when I'm in it. The heated/vented functionality works great. The C8 is firm but comfortable - at least the seats I sat in. I don't think the C8 I was in had the sport seats, though so I cannot comment on them.

I recommend you go test drive a ZL1 or two. You'll get immediate joy from the power, handling, and comfort. I'm sure the ZL1 and C8 will be two completely different animals, though.

Best of luck.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I think you’re comparing apples and oranges, but I absolutely love driving my 17 ZL1 daily. I drove it 2200 miles in two days from California to Alabama in total comfort and have taken many trips to events and track days since. I‘m 5’11” and 210 lbs and it’s perfect for me.

I’m 52 and my ZL1 is an M6..... I love every shift, daily driving and on the track.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Snowwolfe

Thanks for the info. GM seems very shy about posting hip and shoulder room for the ZL1. I do plan on finding one and taking a test ride and have plenty of time on my side.
Does anyone offer a all season tire for the ZL1?
I owned a C6 with a A&A super charger so would guess the power is similar.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Thanks for the info. GM seems very shy about posting hip and shoulder room for the ZL1. I do plan on finding one and taking a test ride and have plenty of time on my side.
Does anyone offer a all season tire for the ZL1?
I owned a C6 with a A&A super charger so would guess the power is similar.
I ran the Michelin PS4S before buying a dedicated winter setup and they work great in every winter condition I experienced in Alabama.... even light snow.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Yes it would be hard to compare a ZL1 to a new Corvette. Someone told me they sat in one and it was real tight and I can tell you from personal experience that the Recaro seats in the ZL1s are comfortable once you get them broken in to your body shape and are also very supportive. You might be more comfortable in a ZL1 verses the new Corvette but not sure. One thing a ZL1 has going for it is that supercharger mounted on top of the LT4 engine. Makes all the difference to me to have a supercharged Camaro to drive! Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Oh and I’m in the over 60 crowd too! I will be 62 next month and not quite ready to retire yet!
Old 02-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #8
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
im 5'10" 230 also.
The recaro seats in the zl1 are firm, and are very supportive and will hold you in. Although if my back was any wider, it would be an issue; it feels like the seat was molded to my back.

The front cabin in the ZL1 is a bit roomier than the c7 due to the center console being much lower. I was at the local c8 reveal, the C8 cabin is very comparable to the C7.

front cameras can easily be added into the factory system (gen5diy).

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
Snowwolfe

I appreciate all the advice. Going to take a look at the ZL1 after things slow down at home. Dealers around me don't have them in stock so it takes a decent drive. And most have the $7,500 track package which I have ZERO interest in. Any significant changes 2019 vs 2020 if I find a great deal on a 19?

Last edited by Snowwolfe; 02-16-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
LT4Greg

No real difference between the 2019 and 2020! The 2019 might be a little cheaper than a 2020 though if you are looking at used ones.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Tyrolblue67

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Camaro
61 year old 6'2" 190 pounds guy here.
Been into Corvettes and muscle cars my entire life. I've owned four Vettes over the years. I kept them and drove each of them for quite a while.
Absolutely love the looks and performance of the C7. I feel that the C7 and C2 63-67 are the most beautiful designed Corvettes of all time. Last year I sold my beloved modded C5 Z06. Loved the car but it was time to move on to a new experience.
I wanted a C7 Z06 (sports car) badly. I also loved the idea of owning a muscle car again. Over the years I've owned 60's Charger R/T's, tri-power GTO's. 1970's Trans-Ams and Z28's.
This time the decision was between the C7 Z06 and gen 6 Camaro ZL1. I decided on the Camaro.
As much as I wanted to, I just could not get comfortable in the C7 interior. I felt that the top of the windshield was directly in my line of sight. Also, I could not get the seat adjusted far enough back for my legs to feel comfortable. I just couldn't get in a comfortable seating position no matter what. (I had a C7 Z51 loaner for a week). I tried all the suggested online tricks to adjust the C7 seats.
I decided to go with the A10 ZL1 Camaro and couldn't be happier.
The car handles and brakes like a sports car when you push it. Very comfortable around town and on the highway. The sound and performance of the LT4 is off the charts fantastic.
It's a personal choice. You can't go wrong either way.
I'm happy with my decision but I probably would have ended up in the Vette if I could of fit in it properly.
Good luck with your decision.
Tyrolblue67
Tyrolblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
VcrusaderV

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
I’ve had a ZL since the early SLP days and the gen 6 ZL1 is hard to beat in many aspects. I recently cancelled my order for a C8. I am not willing to be that deep into cars to own both and when it came down to it, I just can’t let go of my ZL1. I have a spinal fusion from shoulders to sacrum so rude comfort is important to me. Obviously the 1LE was not an option for me and I don’t drive competitively so it wasn’t needed. The combo of the Alpha chassis and the LT4 is just amazing. My ZL1 feels like a sporty Cadillac in touring mode and then a awesome driver in track mode. You can’t go wrong with either but for me the ZL1 is just a better car all the way around. Good luck.

2010 2SS Camaro (sold)
2010 ZL 427 Camaro (sold)
2012 ZL-1 Camaro (sold)
2018 ZL-1 Camaro
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
Snowwolfe

I have owned a C5, 2 C6's, and 1 C7. The C6 was supercharged and probably putting out about the same power as the ZL1. After selling it was really disappointed in the C7, it felt like a slug.
Been all over the map with my decision. The deposit on the C8 is 100% refundable up to the date the order is submitted to GM so the C8 is covered. Doubt I would see it before July. My budget for the car is $75K so the ZL1 is way under.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Greetings members,
I have a C8 on order but am considering cancelling the order as it is still 6 months out. How does the interior space of the 2020 ZL1 compare to the C7 Corvette?
Do you regret not having front cameras or can they be added from the aftermarket?
Are you happy with the comfort of the front seats?
I am not a skinny guy, 5'10 230. Old (66) but flexible, lol.
Have owned Mustangs and Corvettes in the past but never a Camaro. If I bought a ZL1 it would definitely be a A10. Shifting gets old, especially after doing it for 50 years.
Don't pay more than $56K to $59K plus TTL for a new A10. Be patient. They'll do the deal.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote