Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs


AWE Tuning


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream
 
Hulkamaniac's Avatar
 
Drives: '19 Camaro LT, '17 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hiding in your closet...
Posts: 765
Question Battery Tender Hook Up???

Dumb question... where do I hook my battery tender up on my 2017 Camaro 2SS? Is it safe to hook it up here? Which black wire is the ground? See picture below.

Normally, I'd just unhook the battery for storage, but I've got a 3 car garage now so I don't have to store it in a storage locker.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
 
__________________
If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
Dragon08
 
Dragon08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: MI
Posts: 61
I hooked my positive up to one of the empty ports there. I used #4. That whole terminal is positive. Your multimeter will confirm that.
For the negative lead on my tender, I hooked it to the ground lug that is just in front of the fuse box. Can't see it in your picture, but you can't miss it. Its the large post that is connected to the inner rail. I think its 13mm, not sure?


BTW, not a dumb question. I did a search a couple weeks ago for the same info and didn't come up with a clean answer to the same question you had. I know its out there, but it didn't float to the top for me either.


The other option is to hook up to the battery terminals direct. I am trying this out this year as it was the easiest route. I have a pigtail that is now part of the vehicle. I assume you are doing the same.
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream
 
Hulkamaniac's Avatar
 
Drives: '19 Camaro LT, '17 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hiding in your closet...
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon08 View Post
I hooked my positive up to one of the empty ports there. I used #4. That whole terminal is positive. Your multimeter will confirm that.
For the negative lead on my tender, I hooked it to the ground lug that is just in front of the fuse box. Can't see it in your picture, but you can't miss it. Its the large post that is connected to the inner rail. I think its 13mm, not sure?


BTW, not a dumb question. I did a search a couple weeks ago for the same info and didn't come up with a clean answer to the same question you had. I know its out there, but it didn't float to the top for me either.


The other option is to hook up to the battery terminals direct. I am trying this out this year as it was the easiest route. I have a pigtail that is now part of the vehicle. I assume you are doing the same.
Thank you Dragon!

I will be looking for the ground and use #4 like you did for the positive side.

However, I need to get slighter larger eye hook up as mine are a tad too small to go around the studs.

I didn't want to hook up directly to the battery just for the simple fact it's in the trunk.
__________________
If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
Dragon08
 
Dragon08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: MI
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
Thank you Dragon!

I will be looking for the ground and use #4 like you did for the positive side.

However, I need to get slighter larger eye hook up as mine are a tad too small to go around the studs.

I didn't want to hook up directly to the battery just for the simple fact it's in the trunk.



Yep. I just kinda snake the wires out of the back of the engine compartment to the tender. Hopefully it will work out just fine.


Here is the pigtail I have on my car:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Mark114

 
Mark114's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,284
I hooked the positive cable to one of the positive posts just as Dragon did. I hooked the negative cable to the top of the negative battery cable. There is already a small post there that another wire harness is connected to.
Attached Images
 
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:59 PM   #6
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE
 
1hprush's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 919
This may help...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540177
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:59 AM   #7
UnknownJinX
 
UnknownJinX's Avatar
 
Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 741
Pardon my ignorance, but is there any reason to not use the post under the positive cover? Or are you guys talking about bolting up something more permanent?

I am storing my car away for winter soon, so curious as well.
__________________
Current:
2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE M6 Shock


Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:59 AM   #8
MakCamaro
Makis
 
MakCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS (EU) AT8
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: London - UK
Posts: 300
Or you can use "transport mode". I always use this when storing my car for long periods, it's similar to removing the negative terminal:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454614

Last edited by MakCamaro; 11-01-2020 at 05:33 AM.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
arpad_m


 
arpad_m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is there any reason to not use the post under the positive cover? Or are you guys talking about bolting up something more permanent?

I am storing my car away for winter soon, so curious as well.
I always use that post to hook up the trickle charger, no issues at all so far, the charger works and the car starts up like a charm after winter. This year I'll also give transport mode a try .
__________________
2018 Camaro 2SS
G7E A8 NPP MRC NAV
Magnuson Heartbeat TVS2300 | Roto-Fab CAI | JMS PowerMAX voltage booster
Soler LT5 95mm TB | 1LE replica wheels | BMR rear cradle lockout | Jannetty Racing custom tune
1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 11-01-2020 at 12:54 AM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #10
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream
 
Hulkamaniac's Avatar
 
Drives: '19 Camaro LT, '17 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hiding in your closet...
Posts: 765
Talking

Here's what I did, thanks to Dragon.

I hooked up to #4 terminal and grounded to the ground stud on the frame.

Then ran the cord through the front grill and protected the paint with a microfiber cuz the car will be covered after I clean it up this week.

I use a Schumacher 1.5 Amp Speed Charger which is also a controlled trickle charger. It's idiot proof too, it will not charge if you're hooked up backwards. I bought it 9 years ago when I first stored my 2011 Camaro 2SS. It was $29 at Wal-Mart.
Attached Images
    
__________________
If you spell Chuck Norris in Scrabble, you win. Forever.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #11
Dragon08
 
Dragon08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2020 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: MI
Posts: 61
You nailed it. Love that green!
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.