Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #15
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Its common for these retainers to break, seen it for over 20 years in all the LS series engines. Some never break, just luck I guess.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #16
cferreira11

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Also, to note, not all of the needles in the bearing detached. As odd as it sounds, there are still some bearings with the needles on there- as they are visible. Regardless, this is all getting swapped out, but I was surprised they weren’t blown out.
cferreira11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #17
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
If you're tired of werkin on it I'll gladly trade you my v6 Camaro, no push rods to worry about.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #18
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Its common for these retainers to break, seen it for over 20 years in all the LS series engines. Some never break, just luck I guess.
My theory... the bearings arent installed correctly (rotationally) and a slight over rev causes them to travel a bit far. The notch in the shaft hits the flat in the race and breaks the shell. It's a stupid design.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:43 PM   #19
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cferreira11 View Post
Also, to note, not all of the needles in the bearing detached. As odd as it sounds, there are still some bearings with the needles on there- as they are visible. Regardless, this is all getting swapped out, but I was surprised they weren’t blown out.
Just make sure you get all the shrapnel from up top. Run a magnet through everything and eve look inside the other springs. Anything big that falls to the bottom wont hurt but anything tiny or anything getting lodged up top will.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #20
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
In a u-joint that is operating at its optimal angle of 3 degrees or less, the needles actually rotate. A typical driveline u-joint rotating at 2-3000 rpm sees an incredible amount of action over the course of 100K+ miles. Maybe it’s the relative static, hinging action that might make a bushing work better in a rocker. I’d have to give this some more thought.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #21
cferreira11

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Absolutely agree with you. While the valve covers were off, I took a magnet to each individual spring and to all over. When I swap out the bearings/trunnions, I will do another pass as well just to be sure. Appreciate the insight.
cferreira11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #22
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Brass bushings

Hello,
Yes bad news, you definitely want to add a magnetic drain plug just in case you miss one of the roller bearings, Dimple uses the strongest magnets. I went with CHE brass bushings, while you have the valve covers off you should also upgrade valve springs Brian Tooley has great TItanium kits and brand name 0.080" wall pushrods.
CHE bushings are slip fit and do not require pressing in, they rotate on both the shaft and rocker. I sprayed my rocker arms, rocker shafts, bushings, springs, retainers and push rod ends with a light coat of moly spray and baked in oven for 2 hours at 250*. Use a good assembly lube such as Royal Purple or Red Line, also rotate engine to torque down rocker on the base of the cam lobe. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Good Luck!
Attached Images

Last edited by Vicster; 03-24-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:40 AM   #23
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
Hello,
Yes bad news, you definitely want to add a magnetic drain plug just in case you miss one of the roller bearings, Dimple uses the strongest magnets. I went with CHE brass bushings, while you have the valve covers off you should also upgrade valve springs Brian Tooley has great TItanium kits and brand name 0.080" wall pushrods.
CHE bushings are slip fit and do not require pressing in, they rotate on both the shaft and rocker. I sprayed my bushings, springs, retainers and push rod ends with a light coat of moly spray and baked in oven for 2 hours at 250*. Use a good assembly lube such as Royal Purple or Red Line, also rotate engine to torque down rocker on the base of the cam lobe. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Good Luck!
Great kit and awesome quality. I actually enjoyed installing mine. I bought a $60 Arbor Press from Harbour Freight to press out the old trunnions and it made it so much easier.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #24
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I recently installed the CHE bushing set, which replaces the stock roller bearings with brass bushings for $200. Very easy install and I bought a Harbor Freight Arbor press for $60 that made pressing out the old bearings super easy.

The new bushings get held in place by snap rings and don't need to be pressed in.
6" C-clamp works just as well...

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #25
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
Hello,
CHE bushings are slip fit and do not require pressing in, they rotate on both the shaft and rocker. I sprayed my bushings, springs, retainers and push rod ends with a light coat of moly spray and baked in oven for 2 hours at 250*. Use a good assembly lube such as Royal Purple or Red Line, also rotate engine to torque down rocker on the base of the cam lobe. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Good Luck!
Nice work

How do you adjust clearance on the lifters?

Like on the old small block?

George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #26
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
I spoke of this on another post when I was into bikes, Harleys run bronze rocker arms bushings. on an air cooled engine its hotter than ours. ive ridden across the u.s. 5 times from st.louis to Sturgis south Dakota in the hottest weather in mo in july early august, got on interstate 90 and hammered allthe way across the great plains at 85 to 95 mph and never had a bushing problem. the bushings however had machined grooves in them for oil. the ones in the pictures have spiral grooves. seems to me someone did their homework as I see it.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 AM   #27
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
Nice work

How do you adjust clearance on the lifters?

Like on the old small block?

It is done by push rod length, nominal length is 7.400-inch. The rocker arm shaft mounts are torqued all the way down against the head. So the only way to adjust is by push rod length. You can use a push rod length checker comp. cams makes a nice one. That is what I used and double checked using rocker arm mount bolt turns. Here is a good youtube video. Lots of them out there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9sWnhRe8rs4

Last edited by Vicster; 03-24-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #28
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
If you're tired of werkin on it I'll gladly trade you my v6 Camaro, no push rods to worry about.
OP, just remember, Barb's car only takes premium!
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote