#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2024, 01:25 AM   #1
Chev133

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro zl1
2019 ZL1 drl

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how the front DRLs work? I have a Aussie ZL1 & they deleted them. I’m put them back on and wired them to the side amber marker. So when the headlights are on, the DRLs & side markers are also on. Do the American models work like this? I’m not sure if the American models turn the DRLs off automatically when the headlights are on. Maybe the DRLs are too bright to have them on at night.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Chev133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 12:11 PM   #2
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
The DRL’s have a few modes, when the car is in park with the lights on auto they are off entirely, once you put the car in drive / reverse they turn on to “bright mode.” Once the auto headlights activate, or you manually select parking lights / headlights, they go into their “dim mode”. It is my understanding they are PWM controlled so you probably need the proper GM harness that gets the PWM info from what I assume would be the BCM. If they just removed the DRL’s you might be in luck and it could just be plug and play, if not you maybe going down a rabbit hole chasing a BCM if that needs programming as well.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:42 PM   #3
Chev133

Hi,
When it was converted to RHD they used the plug for something else. I’ve just connected them to the amber side lights. Better than nothing. I was just worried that at night they might be too bright for no coming cars. But from what your saying is they are on when the headlights are on anyway.
Old 02-02-2024, 12:03 AM   #4
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chev133 View Post
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how the front DRLs work? I have a Aussie ZL1 & they deleted them. I’m put them back on and wired them to the side amber marker. So when the headlights are on, the DRLs & side markers are also on. Do the American models work like this? I’m not sure if the American models turn the DRLs off automatically when the headlights are on. Maybe the DRLs are too bright to have them on at night.
Thanks.
I imported my ZL1 from Australia (number 325). I just bought from the USA a set of DRL. They were like 100 USD. No turn signal involved. you like me probably have the Sockets. they taped and foamed them up so they'd be weather proof. I just unwrapped mine and I'm making the swap sometime this week cause the bumper is already off. Those black plugs look pathetic, don't they? Even if the DRL are off. That would look better then those plugs.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:24 AM   #5
RZL162

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks.
The loom for the DRL's is still there. Just taped up, behind the bumper.
RZL162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:58 PM   #6
Chev133

I was told HSV used the plugs for something else on the ZL1 so they arnt there. But on the SS model they are there and you can un tape them & plug them in. I got corvette clinic here in Melbourne to put them on my ZL1. They wired them to the side amber markers. Maybe the plugs are there, I don’t know. But HSV also pulled the fuse & the wire under the fuse as well.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:25 AM   #7
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I was told HSV used the plugs for something else on the ZL1 so they arnt there. But on the SS model they are there and you can un tape them & plug them in. I got corvette clinic here in Melbourne to put them on my ZL1. They wired them to the side amber markers. Maybe the plugs are there, I don’t know. But HSV also pulled the fuse & the wire under the fuse as well.
No, the sockets are there. they are just taped and foamed up. I installed mine today. However, the bigger plug that plugs all the bumper items into the car socket has number 2 and number 6 plugged. So I don't know if the DRL's are going to receive power. The reason I know it's number 2 and 6 is because the company I bought the lights from have a loom with it if the car didn't support it. and I'm supposed to plug the loom into those plug receptors. My bumper will be on in 2 weeks. I know if it's working them. The additional loom will be the last resort.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote