Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #15
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I’d keep the BG as long g as you are tuning for it.

I sold my Regular rotofab to buy the BG for my current build. No regrets.

For the record if you are doing ported SC with 103tb this is a must upgrade.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:12 AM   #16
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Hey guys, sorry to bring this back from the dead. I'm reading to get big gulp if you are doing a cam, others say get big gulp if your supercharger is ported. So, I'm a little confused, on a stock car, besides a ported super charger, rotofab and a solar 100mm tb, is it worth getting the big gulp, or still the regular one? Obviously car would be tuned with install either way.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:38 AM   #17
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
It won't hurt either way as long as the car is tuned for the Big Gulp. The standard Rotofab doesn't require a tune. The Big Gulp won't start to pay any dividends though until you exceed 700whp. That being said, my car makes 700whp and I have a Big Gulp on mine simply for the fact that if I should go further later, I won't need to buy another intake.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #18
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
Hey guys, sorry to bring this back from the dead. I'm reading to get big gulp if you are doing a cam, others say get big gulp if your supercharger is ported. So, I'm a little confused, on a stock car, besides a ported super charger, rotofab and a solar 100mm tb, is it worth getting the big gulp, or still the regular one? Obviously car would be tuned with install either way.
Stock blower with a stock tb will not utilize a 5" intake. Flow on the intake side is only as good as the smallest choke point. A ported snout with a 103 tb will utilize the larger intake...the gains won't be a ton vs a 4" until you start to make above 700whp but there will be gains.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #19
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
I've used both. Based on your mods, the regular RotoFab will be fine. I went to a Big Gulp when I installed my ported 2650.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlu17 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with both? It seems everyone has one or the other and I found several people sell their RotoFab in the for sale section in favor of the big gulp but I'm curious how much difference or better it is even on a non 800+hp car. I'm having second thoughts about mine and may order a big gulp and compare the two on the dyno, as I've yet to find anyone really post about any results other than the manufacture themselves. Yes, I saw CSP post a video where they picked up 20rwhp but this was on his 760rwhp car. Decisions, decisions
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #20
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 View Post
I picked another 20rwhp with the big gulp over the 4” intake but I have heads, cam, ported blower, 103mmtb, etc

I am surprised to hear this, as diameter of the standard RF and my 103mm TB are the same. All you need is a straight 4.25" coupler...

That being said, I was going to keep my standard set up, based on that fact and see how the numbers roll... perhaps ill do the same back to back test later on to see what my gains are. But then i would need a tune re-touch.... hmmmmm so many options :(

Maybe I'll wait until I upgrade the low side... Not sure i will even have the headway to utilize the GB with a JMS alone.

Great thread BTW.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:31 PM   #21
LT4 650

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6
My ZLE is about to go in to get 2" Kooks long tube headers, green cats, BG roto fab and a tune. I figured since I was doing headers I would want/need a tune so why not do the big gulp so I have it if I decide to go for more HP.

Plus I heard the BG does give you a little bit more of a SC whine???

GM previously owned:
2014 SS M6
2014 ZL1 M6
2019 ZL1 M6
2016 Z06 M6
LT4 650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #22
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 650 View Post
My ZLE is about to go in to get 2" Kooks long tube headers, green cats, BG roto fab and a tune. I figured since I was doing headers I would want/need a tune so why not do the big gulp so I have it if I decide to go for more HP.

Plus I heard the BG does give you a little bit more of a SC whine???
Nothing really gives these cars more whine, the blower just isn't that loud by design. Removing the sound deadening plate under the lid or swapping the lid with an aftermarket lid makes the most difference and its not huge by any means. You're not going to hear the blower anyway once you had headers and high flow cats.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:00 PM   #23
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Nothing really gives these cars more whine, the blower just isn't that loud by design. Removing the sound deadening plate under the lid or swapping the lid with an aftermarket lid makes the most difference and its not huge by any means. You're not going to hear the blower anyway once you had headers and high flow cats.
I disagree. Kong stage X porting will make this blower whine like a little bitch lol. It’s not just louder, it’s WAY louder.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:03 PM   #24
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I disagree. Kong stage X porting will make this blower whine like a little bitch lol. It’s not just louder, it’s WAY louder.
Problem is that it doesn't really pay any dividends over the standard port until you really spin it hard. At which point its a serious heat pump.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:16 PM   #25
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Definitely agree, with a heavy port on these blowers, they scream like a banshee.

If you do ported blower with a 103mm or bigger tb, just makes sense to get the big gulp and get in as much air as possible. If you already have a standard rf, is the $200 or so net loss worth the extra couple hp you may or may not feel...but in the back of your mind will know is not there
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:25 PM   #26
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Problem is that it doesn't really pay any dividends over the standard port until you really spin it hard. At which point its a serious heat pump.
I have a ported blower comparable to the xport on my car, in my experience I would disagree. I'm only running an 8.6 lower, stock size upper with h/c/ bolt ons including 103mm tb and big gulp, last log I believe showed about 15 psi in pretty good air. I think that's pretty substantial with only the 11% overdrive which I think the 8.6 is. Blower isn't being ran to death with this pulley combo
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:36 AM   #27
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
I have a ported blower comparable to the xport on my car, in my experience I would disagree. I'm only running an 8.6 lower, stock size upper with h/c/ bolt ons including 103mm tb and big gulp, last log I believe showed about 15 psi in pretty good air. I think that's pretty substantial with only the 11% overdrive which I think the 8.6 is. Blower isn't being ran to death with this pulley combo
You can disagree all you want. KONG and the top shops that have installed them have stated the X port is for those pushing the blower to the limits. All that extra port work doesn't pay dividends until you spin the blower really hard.

As for your results, you've gained nothing over the standard Kong port work and 9.45 lower pulley..You're effectively producing the same boost bit you paid more for the X port and you're not making any more power over the standard port and 9.45 lower.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:05 AM   #28
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Nothing really gives these cars more whine, the blower just isn't that loud by design.
Quote:
What does that have to do with my post? The topic was blower whine. The X port increases it.

And as for your second post, my results speak for themselves. Kong personally recommended the X port for my build and I’m on stock pulleys.

Just because their original intent was to increase the port area for more radical builds doesn’t mean it can’t benefit someone else.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote