Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
MCMC36

Drives: 2019 ZL1 convertible
Hardwire Radar in 2019 convertible

I have a 2019 ZL1 convertible and I'm looking into getting a Valentine. Is there anyway to hardwire the radar into the mirror/light console or is it more involved? The 2019 does not have the homelink option and I believe that was used in 16-18 coupes to hardwire. With the 19 having the rearview mirror/camera option, I am wondering if there is a source for power right there that could be tapped into. If it is too much of a headache I will live with the hanging wire.
MCMC36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Check https://www.gen5diy.com/ for cable options. There may be other vendors that carry cables too.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMC36 View Post
I have a 2019 ZL1 convertible and I'm looking into getting a Valentine. Is there anyway to hardwire the radar into the mirror/light console or is it more involved? The 2019 does not have the homelink option and I believe that was used in 16-18 coupes to hardwire. With the 19 having the rearview mirror/camera option, I am wondering if there is a source for power right there that could be tapped into. If it is too much of a headache I will live with the hanging wire.
This is what you need:

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/...tector-harness

I installed it on mine and it works perfect. Install is a piece of cake too - it plugs right into a factory harness and connector under the glove box.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
Serpentsminion

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2017 1SS Conv 6.2
I haven't used radar detectors in so many years now, I am completely out of the loop on it all. I have heard/been told throughout the years that nearly all speed detection is done with 'Always-on' type laser apparatus now instead of radar, where the targeting is so narrow and precise that even catching 'side-signal' or 'bounce' doesn't apply, so traditional radar detection is rendered ineffective in most circumstance.

But, as I said- am out of the loop and have not done any research on it for a decade or more. Maybe I have been misinformed or misled. Many people seem to still use detection systems, so I may have to do some reading now that I have a vehicle again that it may benefit me for :P
Serpentsminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
Serpentsminion

SO yeah... now doing some researching. LIDAR jammimg systems... but since I live in Minnesota which is a notoriously 'no-fun' state when it comes to what they let people get away with on their vehicles, and without even looking up the laws quick, I would bet that laser jamming apparatus is sohhhhh illegal it's tantamount to having an automatic rifle, six kilos of heroin, and a dead underage congressman's daughter in the trunk.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

RADAR is still the most prevalent system used by LEOs in the country. LASER is still expensive and not all municipalities can afford or are willing to spend the extra for it. So radar detectors are still useful in around 75% of the country. Only your rich high end suburbs who have more tax money than they know what to do with are going to have an all laser fleet.

You can google your state’s ordinance on radar jamming but I’m pretty sure only a couple states have ordinances against it.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
Serpentsminion

Yeah, pretty much what I've gathered from reading this afternoon. I haven't gotten to the MN state statutes yet...

*So I did look up a few things in the last 15 mins or so- and in MN one can possess and use a 'detector' in a private vehicle, but not commercial or fleet. Any form of 'jammer' is illegal in ALL vehicles. Which renders any 'LIDAR specific' detection useless at all, if an altered signal cannot be returned. Any laser 'detector' is just a ticket notification device. RADAR, you can take your chances with if you are among other traffic and the unit catches the signal from the spread as it propagates or bounces off other terrain or structures.*

Also, I'm sure somewhere in the forum rules, under discussion of 'illegal activities', talking about speeding is not cool. So, of course, people must feel compelled to state that they would or do not condone such activity, to keep appearances of all P's and Q's in line. But really, *eyeroll*... why the hell else would we buy these kinds of vehicles... :P I should get my brother to take me to a track sometime.

Last edited by Serpentsminion; 07-25-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:07 AM   #8
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Lidar is laser. You’re correct that if your laser warning goes off you might as well pull over if you were speeding.

Laser uses light, radar uses radio frequencies. NO ONE permits ANY messing with radar jamming...... that’s HIGHLY illegal in the entire country and you would not only get charged by the police of that municipality you could get charged from the FCC. If you use a radar jammer in your car even if you aren’t actively blocking a police radar gun, you could be jamming other forms of over-the-air communications and that would be very bad.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
RADAR is still the most prevalent system used by LEOs in the country. LASER is still expensive and not all municipalities can afford or are willing to spend the extra for it. So radar detectors are still useful in around 75% of the country. Only your rich high end suburbs who have more tax money than they know what to do with are going to have an all laser fleet.

You can google your state’s ordinance on radar jamming but I’m pretty sure only a couple states have ordinances against it.
Just got a nice ticket from the Cleveland police with a photo, allegedly I did 37 in a 25 when we were there during a road trip two months ago Since I didn't remember not honoring a 25 sign, I "went back" to that exact spot using Google Maps, and I swear that looks like a 35 zone, there is one 35 sign posted about 1/4 mile ahead of the location they got me, and no other signs far as I can tell. Don't remember clearly if the detector went off right there, probably yes because it did so on several occasions, but then again I thought I was in a 35... of course this is no proof, the map photos on Google are older.

So this is another "laserless" tactic, post an unexpected low speed limit behind a tree or something and start charging out of state drivers that probably won't return to contest the ticket. "Happy" to sponsor the reconstruction of those incredibly crappy roads (and I thought ours in NJ were bad).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #10
Serpentsminion

Drag... I just got back from a road trip from Minneapolis out to Coastal Oregon and Northern California a week ago... wonder if I will get any surprise 'thanks for visiting' slips in the mail. :/
Old 07-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Just got a nice ticket from the Cleveland police with a photo, allegedly I did 37 in a 25 when we were there during a road trip two months ago Since I didn't remember not honoring a 25 sign, I "went back" to that exact spot using Google Maps, and I swear that looks like a 35 zone, there is one 35 sign posted about 1/4 mile ahead of the location they got me, and no other signs far as I can tell. Don't remember clearly if the detector went off right there, probably yes because it did so on several occasions, but then again I thought I was in a 35... of course this is no proof, the map photos on Google are older.

So this is another "laserless" tactic, post an unexpected low speed limit behind a tree or something and start charging out of state drivers that probably won't return to contest the ticket. "Happy" to sponsor the reconstruction of those incredibly crappy roads (and I thought ours in NJ were bad).
What street/specific location???? The city of Cleveland proper got rid of all the speed and red light cameras 10 years ago. They were voted out.

Was it Lindale or Parma Heights?

If it was from Cleveland throw it in the trash. They can do nothing to you.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
What street/specific location???? The city of Cleveland proper got rid of all the speed and red light cameras 10 years ago. They were voted out.

Was it Lindale or Parma Heights?

If it was from Cleveland throw it in the trash. They can do nothing to you.
East Cleveland, Superior Rd: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5223...7i16384!8i8192 (the construction has long been finished of course). The 20 mph limit applicable during restricted hours was not in effect, and the ticket says the limit was 25 anyway. The notice also says there is an automated system...

OP, sorry about the hijack, I won't post more in this thread of yours.
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote