Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
After 2nd Wash Last Night

Hi,

There was a rub mark under the passenger window mirror about a kid's fist size. I thought i just didn't wash that area good so I took 409 and cleaned it. Was still there. Undaunted got my rubbing compound and when over the area several times in small circles and lightly feathered it out. Took damp paper towel wiped it off and dry paper towel, all gone. Then of course had to wax the area. Ta Da!

Wonder what could have caused that, at dealer or leaving the plant.

I declined dealer detail after purchase. I bet they wouldn't have noticed
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #2
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13LTLoveIt View Post
Hi,

There was a rub mark under the passenger window mirror about a kid's fist size. I thought i just didn't wash that area good so I took 409 and cleaned it. Was still there. Undaunted got my rubbing compound and when over the area several times in small circles and lightly feathered it out. Took damp paper towel wiped it off and dry paper towel, all gone. Then of course had to wax the area. Ta Da!

Wonder what could have caused that, at dealer or leaving the plant.

I declined dealer detail after purchase. I bet they wouldn't have noticed
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I had a few spots on my car like this. I spotted them before I bought the car and brought it to their attention. It just looked a little buffed, not really scratches, just, dull. rubbing compound got it right out. I'd rather do it myself than trust the dealer to do it.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Wait.... You used paper towel on the paint? It didn't leave any swirl marks? I did that once when I was a kid not knowing and it left swirl marks like crazy.

Back on topic. I just washed and waxed my car for the 1st time this past Saturday and I noticed a couple thin black marks on my driver's door that I also wondered if it was from the factory or people walking by it at the dealer. A little polish and a microfiber towel took it right out.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #5
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
You do know these cars ride in trains and open car carriers being delivered right.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Wait.... You used paper towel on the paint? It didn't leave any swirl marks? I did that once when I was a kid not knowing and it left swirl marks like crazy.

Oh, it left swirl marks. That is absolutely for sure. Maybe the OP didn't notice them, but they are absolutely there.

Rubbed the paint with a paper towel, lol wow.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Hopefully, you really didn't use rubbing compound. That's some pretty aggressive stuff and usually leaves a lot of scratches that need quite a bit more work to clean up. I usually start with Meguiar's 205, which is similar to their Ultimate polish, to clean up paint defects. It has to be pretty bad for me to switch to 105. At least the rub came out.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #8
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Hopefully, you really didn't use rubbing compound. That's some pretty aggressive stuff and usually leaves a lot of scratches that need quite a bit more work to clean up. I usually start with Meguiar's 205, which is similar to their Ultimate polish, to clean up paint defects. It has to be pretty bad for me to switch to 105. At least the rub came out.
Two words: ultimate compound.
Can be nearly as aggressive as 105 or polish out just as good as 205. Stuff works extremely well on both old school single stage paints and modern paint such as the camaro.
70chevelleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 PM   #9
satanschariot666
Banned

Drives: camaro
the other day I washed my car with pumice
satanschariot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
18LTLoveIt

The door came out perfect.

I guess I was a detailer in a former life.

I didn't press too hard on rubbing the compound and then spread the compound out further to feather. I then took wet paper towel to remove compound and then a dry paper towel to lightly the remove water. Then I waxed the area and buffed with cheesecloth. Voila!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I keep a stash of 3" pads, white, pink, yellow to hand work out stuff like that. Always start with white and the least aggressive glaze you can. then work your way to the more aggressive side if needed. Paper towel, never. buy some micro fibers color coded to what you use them for. If your car is new I would also look at XPEL and ceramic coating.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
18LTLoveIt

Good tips! DP

I have microfiber towels to dry car off after a wash.

It is new, XPEL? What's that?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post

Back on topic. I just washed and waxed my car for the 1st time this past Saturday and I noticed a couple thin black marks on my driver's door that I also wondered if it was from the factory or people walking by it at the dealer. A little polish and a microfiber towel took it right out.

I didn't even get to paper towels, I cringed at "409". Using kitchen degreaser on new paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
You do know these cars ride in trains and open car carriers being delivered right.
Yeah, and with wimpy modern paint, that's why I used a full liter of Iron X on mine before I had XPEL put on. It was still removing raildust on the last spray.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
18LTLoveIt

409 is my go to if I want something greater strength than Windex. Like getting water spots off glass. Fear not, wax was applied and Ta Da! Even look.