Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #15
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer14085RS/SS2010 View Post
wow thats a slap in the face regardless of your last sentence about it not being a knock on people getting an automatic. its not the auto that makes it like that its the moron behind the wheel. and morons that post s^$% comments like this about driving being to easy. just where would you be in life if not for other automated parts?? i bet nothing automated helps you or is a conveniece to you. like if you need money and the banks closed oh those automated money machines dont come in handy now do they.
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #16
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
Thanks for the drivers education lesson. If I didn't understand the concept of driving a vehicle and what to look out for, I wouldn't have a license.
I can't tell if that's sarcastic or not but a lot of people that have their license only understand the concept while they take their test
Old 06-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #17
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
awesome post, definatly needed to be addressed.
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #18
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
LOL....the OP is a valid one, but almost immediately after it....it's gone south. I think people are taking most of what other people are saying out of context. Oh, and the "I just wanna drive around without a seatbelt.....but I'll only be going 20mph". Yeah I know I don't have to say much about the connection you have to this scenario at the top. Hmmm good thing she was wearing the belt!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #19
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I hear you KJS. It is amazing how many Camaro's are getting creamed from the rear..........why? But great to know how safe they are.

I drive about 45,000 Miles a year between my Job, Necessity, and pleasure. People are getting worse at driving. I do 90% of my driving between NY (including LI) and NJ.

In LI (where you are, and I grew up) here is what I notice:
- Nobody wants to be the one that yield
- Rolling Stops
- Blowing of lights, just after they turn.....very common
- Angry drivers, probably due to the amount of people on the road

"Upstate" NY (Westchester, Rockland and above)
- People stopping in improper places
- Nobody pulls into the shoulder before turning, blocking the traffic lane
- lot of slow drivers

NJ:
- Lots of people blocking the lanes to do whatever
- people that jump into the left lane WITHOUT JUDGING THE SPEED YOU ARE COMING DOWN AT, so you need to jump on your breaks
- The traffic patterns are erratic, making a right to make a left causes out of state drivers confusion and darting across 3 lanes
- People ride you ass....really close
- Slow left lane drivers that will not move to the right even when there is room

As far as no seatbelt, let the idiot learn the hard way, when I was a 17 year old new driver, it saved my life one day.......I love that invention.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #20
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Automatic transmissions (as well as other automated parts). It allows people to pay less attention and allows people to not have a clue how to actually drive. It's way too easy.

A true story... I was in Huntington Beach, CA. I had a rental car... a Chevy Equinox (which I really liked). I can't remember the last time I parallel parked my car... just never have to around here. In fact, I don't think I have have parallel parked my truck in the almost 3yrs I've had it. So anyways, I had to parallel park this thing which I wasn't that familiar with and in a pretty tight spot. First try, perfect, no problem. I look across the street, there's this kid trying to park his BMW. Fail... fail... fail... fail... I think it took him like 5 tries to figure it out. It's like that video on the internet where some guy gets out of his car and parks the car for the lady that can't figure out how to park her own damn car.

So yea, what's all this have to do with automatic transmissions? Well I don't think these people could ever get down the street in a stick. Either that or replacing the cluth would be so often it would make driving cost prohibitive. Even if they did figure it out, they would actually have to focus on driving instead of doing other things which would make them better drivers.

I don't mean this as a knock on people getting an auto Camaro at all. It's just a side affect of making driving easier.

I wanted to quote this separate, because people get so defensive that only know how to drive auto's, when a manual fanatic posts like this.

I do have to say that driving a manual does keep you more in touch with the road and the skill of driving. It gives you more control over your acceleration and deceleration, and for those who only drive auto's, you have no right to criticize until you learn how to drive both and see the difference. And I am sure someone will call me out that only knows how to drive an auto and LIE about having driven a stick, for the sake of disagreeing. Well, be defensive or insulted all you want, fact is if you never driven a manual, you have never driven. All of my cars are manual and I would purposely not buy a car unless it came with manual.

I go crazy when I rent cars, and yes they ARE harder to control. They shift into a higher gear too fast and do not take in account what is in front of you. I purposely let the car rev higher in traffic, why because YOUR FIRST BREAK IS TAKING YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS, and when you are in a higher gear the car travels forward and you loose your engine breaking capability in higher gears. I have 90,000 Miles on my Honda CR-V, I sit in NY City traffic at 7AM and 5PM everyday and I have yet to replace the Brakes....and the dealer says they still have meat on them.....now that is due to my manual and learning how to properly drive a car. The auto does propel you forward not taking anything else but RPM or revs into consideration.......that sucks in my opinion.

So you know, with all that milage and driving I do, I have not had an insurance claim (except theft, vandalism, and others hitting my parked car) since 1990, knock on wood.

So I get you, and agree with you UCf, and most people would FAIL at a driving test in a manual FOR SURE.

THIS IS NOT A POKE AT ALL AUTO DRIVERS, JUST A FACT, LIKE IT OR NOT.

Here is my favorite line I like to say to people,
"You DRIVE a manual but, you RIDE IN an auto".
Old 06-06-2009, 03:52 AM   #21
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
I wanted to quote this separate, because people get so defensive that only know how to drive auto's, when a manual fanatic posts like this.

I do have to say that driving a manual does keep you more in touch with the road and the skill of driving. It gives you more control over your acceleration and deceleration, and for those who only drive auto's, you have no right to criticize until you learn how to drive both and see the difference. And I am sure someone will call me out that only knows how to drive an auto and LIE about having driven a stick, for the sake of disagreeing. Well, be defensive or insulted all you want, fact is if you never driven a manual, you have never driven. All of my cars are manual and I would purposely not buy a car unless it came with manual.

I go crazy when I rent cars, and yes they ARE harder to control. They shift into a higher gear too fast and do not take in account what is in front of you. I purposely let the car rev higher in traffic, why because YOUR FIRST BREAK IS TAKING YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS, and when you are in a higher gear the car travels forward and you loose your engine breaking capability in higher gears. I have 90,000 Miles on my Honda CR-V, I sit in NY City traffic at 7AM and 5PM everyday and I have yet to replace the Brakes....and the dealer says they still have meat on them.....now that is due to my manual and learning how to properly drive a car. The auto does propel you forward not taking anything else but RPM or revs into consideration.......that sucks in my opinion.

So you know, with all that milage and driving I do, I have not had an insurance claim (except theft, vandalism, and others hitting my parked car) since 1990, knock on wood.

So I get you, and agree with you UCf, and most people would FAIL at a driving test in a manual FOR SURE.

....'nuff said.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:56 AM   #22
RobH

Drives: 2010 IBM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
do you realize how bad traffic would be if not passing on the right was enforced in the states? theres so many people cruising at 5 under the speed limit in the left and middle lanes where its just not practical
It's part of the law in Germany that driving in the left hand lane is forbidden unless passing. They enforce it strictly. If they had such a law here for high-speed highway and enforced it, a lot of the amateur traffic enforcers who like to park in the left hand lane would become poor.
RobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #23
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Nothing like a good old USA made Turbo Hydramatic. I would not even be interested in getting one if it did not have this excellent automatic tranny.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...SS03/705020400
Hell Yeah Toledo.. Jeeps and Camaro Trannies.

But on Topic, I've seen it happen as well. My first car, as a result, does not have the factory right side of the car. 3 Accidents later in a school parking lot...
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #24
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post

that is also why i made it a point that when i was learning how to drive i would do it in a manual(mini cooper s,and c2500)because i knew i would learn a whole lot better. plus it just makes the driving experience better
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #25
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
It's part of the law in Germany that driving in the left hand lane is forbidden unless passing. They enforce it strictly. If they had such a law here for high-speed highway and enforced it, a lot of the amateur traffic enforcers who like to park in the left hand lane would become poor.
+1 i also believe that if caught braking there traffic laws it results in jail time
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #26
Buckbo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
For the guy that asked how to disable your seat bealt alarm, and that you like to cruise around going 20 mph without wearing one . This one is for you bud enjoy.
Did he ask for anyone's opinion on not wearing a seatbelt? He's an adult and knows the consequences. It is an issue of personal responsibility and not up to us to be everyone else's babysitter. What's next? Are you gonna tell him not to smoke?
Buckbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #27
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbo View Post
Did he ask for anyone's opinion on not wearing a seatbelt? He's an adult and knows the consequences. It is an issue of personal responsibility and not up to us to be everyone else's babysitter. What's next? Are you gonna tell him not to smoke?
I thought this was a NO SMOKING Forum!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #28
Steve
Ancalagon The Black

Drives: 2013 Silverado 4X4, 2010 RJT 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckbo View Post
His decision not to wear a seatbelt may cost me my life due to the fact he can't re-gain or maintain control his car after he has lost it (in what ever way). I have seen this in action. If you can't stay firmly in the driver’s position you can't maintain 100% effective control of the car. I wore seat belts long before they were mandatory and don't believe someone else has a right to jeopardize my life on purpose.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote