Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
What do and not to do when ordering your Camaro

With the recent events/horror stories surrounding those forum members who ordered their Camaro's and what happened when they went to the dealership to pick them up I thougth it might be a good idea to put this thread out there. If the mods think it appropriate, perhaps put it up as a Sticky. Please add worthwhile additions or comments.

1-Before you order read as much as you can about the car, exactly what comes with each option or package before you walk into the dealership. Many salespesons are clueless about the car and what it comes with. Go to Chevrolet.com Build your own Camaro. You need to be the expert.

2-Read thru as many of the threads as possible on this (and other forums-but this is really the best). Not sure of something? then ask. WARNING: As with any forum or internet site remember there are a few true experts and a lot of people who are "opinion experts" but are light on the facts or just plain wrong. Read thru the postings of those who you are going to believe to gauge their expertise.

3- Decide what you want and what you can afford BEFORE your get there. If you're going to finance, find out if you are going to qualify beforehand. Check with your local bank, credit union, etc. I've not leased a car, so I am clueless about leasing.

4-Trading your current car or sell it privately? Find out what it is worth by looking it up thru Edmunds.com or sites showing used car prices.

5-When you have as many facts as you think you need such as the MSRP (manufacturer's SUGGESTED retail price) for the base model you want, and for each option, or option package, the dealer's invoice price (what the dealer is being charged by GM), which can usually found on Edmunds.com etc. then visit your local dealership. (Also check the True Market Value TMV section of Edmunds). If possible, visit other dealers, find out what they have available on the lot or will have coming in. Are these cars close to what you are looking for, pricewise, color, options, etc.? If so, see the "important messge" below.

6-Dealer doesn't have what you want? Order it. IMPORTANT MESSAGE! GET EVERY DETAIL OF THE ORDER IN WRITING! There are no "Gentlemen's Agreement" handshake deals, EVER! Every single item that you discuss as part of the sale MUST be written down, signed by you, the salesperson and the dealership manager. You must understand and agree to every detail. Negotiate a deal that is fair to you and the dealer. See in writing if the deposit you are leaving is refundable. Leave a deposit by credit card, not check or cash. The order should state the car wil be delivered at the agree upon price, not prevailing market price. Make sure you understand what additional fees you will be paying for each: Dealer prep; Processing fees; Tags/registration/inspection; Tax; ANY and EVERY other dollar that you will have to pay to drive it away.

7-Avoid paying more than the MSRP. Avoid special paint sealers, undercoating, etc. If you decide to go for an extended warranty, beyond GMs 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and 5yr/100K mile drivetrain warranty, it should be from GM, not another warranty company.

8-Get in writing any other details such as no license plate frame on front bumper, all documentation such as build sheets will be given to you. Whether or not you want them to wash/wax the car, etc.

9-If you ordered the car, stay in contact with your dealer on a regular basis. Get a copy of the "Workbench" which shows the progress of the order as it passes the various stages of being accepted by GM for production thru the delivery.

10-When you get the call about your car arriving, confirm that the car has all the options you ordered, confirm the prices, the condition that the car came in no dents, dings, missing mirrors, etc.

11-Bring camera and a friend when you pick 'er up. Test drive your car before you hand over the check. Check inside and out top and bottom, open and inspect under the hood and trunk. Then drive it like you want to keep it forever - whatever that means to you!

Those of you who have additional thoughts, please add them.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Well written!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
If you decide to go for an extended warranty, beyond GMs 3yr/36K bumper to bumper and 5yr/100K mile drivetrain warranty, it should be from GM, not another warranty company.
Does GM even offer extended warranties? I bought one once that the dealer said was GM but was definitely not.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
hiway61revisted

Drives: 2010 Camaro & 2000 Silverado
I would only add to your comprehensve post to get e-mail address of inventory order person, "AWESOME POST KJS"
hiway61revisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Good list. Number 3 important. Line up your financing before.

At the min just have gone thru your own 3 & 1 + FICO report to fix any errors first and look for red flags. So that if it's bad you might as well deal with it. I spent over 20 years working my score like a video game. I pretend it's a game. highest score wins lol.

When you have the financing lined up your walking on water. When they put financing papers in front of you they are walking on water.

Not anti GMAC or dealer finacing but more a pro empowerment thing. They treat us like a number and they force this imperial score (FICO) on us. You might as well play the system for the win and make it work for you.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Well written!

Does GM even offer extended warranties? I bought one once that the dealer said was GM but was definitely not.
You bring up a good point. The dealer told me that I could purchase the "GM 7 year Extended Warranty" but for $3K more ! ! ! I said, no thanks. So I never actually saw the documentation on this warranty. So I guess thats another goog point. If they say its a GM warranty and you're interested, make sure its got GM written all over it and its a brochure from GM, not a xerox copy that someone put the GM logo on.

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
GM warranty can be purchased at the 36TH month. It does not go into effect until the base warranty expires. Don't buy it until you know you will own the car at 36 month.

THEY WILL TELL YOU TO BUY IT NOW..... they will have your money for 36 months before you get any benefit. Buy it only IF you need it at 35,975 miles.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Put the 3 grand in savings or buy a nice set of craftsman tools.

The powertrain is not going to crap out on you after 7 years so probably won't get your money's worth out of it. The powertrain is too good.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Well, if you want to start the whole discussion of if extended warranties are even worth it...the companies that sell them are very good at math and have huge amounts of data. They know they are almost definitely going to make a good profit. The only really useful data you have is your own history. If you're tough on cars and in the recent past have managed to require expensive repairs in what would the extnded warranty period, it might be worth it...

With the car already coming with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, I can't imagine an extended warranty ever paying for itself unless it was really very cheap in addition to the above. What kind of stuff do you expect to break, in 100,000 miles, in such a way that it would be covered by a warranty that's written to weasel out of covering anything?

I've had two. One I bought when I didn't know better and had money to waste. I squeezed some repairs out of it, probably about half of what I spend on it, because I was really abusive to the car. The engine didn't die from my abuse until 130,000 miles or so, and by then the extended warranty was long gone. The other I bought when I was spending someone else's money...my abuse was less severe and it probably only ever paid back 10% of what it cost.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
paulv7260

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Good list. Number 3 important. Line up your financing before.

At the min just have gone thru your own 3 & 1 + FICO report to fix any errors first and look for red flags. So that if it's bad you might as well deal with it. I spent over 20 years working my score like a video game. I pretend it's a game. highest score wins lol.

When you have the financing lined up your walking on water. When they put financing papers in front of you they are walking on water.

Not anti GMAC or dealer finacing but more a pro empowerment thing. They treat us like a number and they force this imperial score (FICO) on us. You might as well play the system for the win and make it work for you.
and more You're right on the money - pun intended

Ordered 11/29/2008
Delivered 06/05/2009
VIN 2G1FK1EJ2A9111158
paulv7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
The most important thing I can add to this thread is to mark on your bill of sale that your agreement of MSRP (or whatever) superceeds any small print bullshit that allows the dealer to sell the car to someone else. State that dealer agrees to waive any market adjustment clause and can only sell someone else the car after first offering it to you at the agreed upon price.