Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Why did they give journos the pussified transmission...i drove both transmission and the manual have way more kick to it; even with the auto in sport mode it doesnt feel as good...derrin probably wouldnt change his v6 if he knew how to drive a stick
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_desmo View Post
Why did they give journos the pussified transmission...i drove both transmission and the manual have way more kick to it; even with the auto in sport mode it doesnt feel as good...derrin probably wouldnt change his v6 if he knew how to drive a stick
top of my head... everyone knows how to drive an automatic and availability... guess is there is a LOT more automatics in the pool than manuals..

BTW... when I bought my H3 there were 200 H3's on the lot... I got one of only 2 manuals out of the 200 H3s.. LOL!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I think they want to promote the automatic. It features technology that is not necessarily standard in the industry, making it a little more impressive. If the journalist is a poor manual driver, you also have to consider that the reviews might not reflect actual quality. If GM gives them automatics, the performance will be relatively consistent in each review. That's a point to consider as well.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I think they want to promote the automatic. It features technology that is not necessarily standard in the industry, making it a little more impressive. If the journalist is a poor manual driver, you also have to consider that the reviews might not reflect actual quality. If GM gives them automatics, the performance will be relatively consistent in each review. That's a point to consider as well.
Very good point!!!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
I was liking the review until I got to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
I agree with Joe DeMatio, this V-6 is more impressive then the V-8 found in the SS model. I really wanted to love the Camaro SS, but the 422 hp can't overcome the excessive curb weight. I know the test numbers don't support this, but the V-6 car hardly felt slower than the V-8.

What the hell are they talking about? The SS can't overcome its own weight despite still being faster than the V6 and having a better power-to-weight ratio? IMO the V6 is more impressive because it has made a bigger leap in performance than the V8 from previous generations. Some times I think these reviewers just throw a bunch of words together to just get some hits.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #20
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Took a trip this weekend and actually for the first time, used the car's power. Took it up to 110 mph at one point on a secluded highway (don't usually do that, but had to know and there was no traffic). Car handled great. I have the 18" aluminum wheels and was quite impressed with how stable the car felt and it did not struggle at all getting there. I imagine the 19's and 20's would only add to the stability.
I was at approx. 2500 - 3000 RPM at 70 mph in 6th gear and downshifted to 5th to get over 100 mph. In 5th, the tach went 3500 and did not ever really touch 4000. I could have downshifted to 4th if I wanted to, given redline is arround 6500, but had no need to. Car jumped out nicely.
On narrow roads back, 2 lanes, I did a couple of 3 - 4 car passes in a 60 mph zone and the car again impressed me. Down shift and go was real responsiove and nice jump. I have just shy of 3000 miles on the car now and have to say, it has really come alive in the past 1000 miles or so. The exhaust is starting to sound a bit more of a rumble too, although this weekend my AERO resonators came in for my changeout - thanks Scrmimg, using your set up.

I'm very curious to do a dyno run on the car as it stands now. I have a Airaid CAI on order and expect it ot be here in Sept. I'd like to do a dyno run and compare the exhaust and CAI run to stock.

On the trip we averaged 25 / 26 mpg, yesterday mostly 27.5 mpg.

This car is a blast and just keeps surprising me. My only disappointment with the car is the blind spots when backing up, out of the rear corners. On the road, the rearviews do fine for over the shoulder visibility, but I am always spooked when backing out of a spot and looking to my right rear view.

When I bought, I did not have the funds to go V8 (2 kids in college) and knowing what I do now, even if I'd had the funding, I'd buy the V6 all over again.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote