Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #43
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Sorry for all the questions but most of the detail product web sites are running nice sales for the 4th. I see that CarPro has a non-abrasive version of Essence called "Essence PLUS". Do you see value in applying that prior to Reload? I don't know enough about the BF product family to know if they have an equivalent product.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #44
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
don't read too much, just follow the directions of what we've written here. Essence Plus is a different product for a different application.

More new people to detailing get into trouble because they start to follow a procedure that somebody has recommended and used, and then they add their own little tweaks/twists, and before you know it, they're out of control with a mess on their paint.

By the way , coming up on a month of the shootout, so I should put up wet and dry pictures this week, spoiler alert: can't see a damn bit of difference so far.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #45
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Great advice. Thanks again for all your great detailing information!
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #46
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Sorry for all the questions but most of the detail product web sites are running nice sales for the 4th. I see that CarPro has a non-abrasive version of Essence called "Essence PLUS". Do you see value in applying that prior to Reload? I don't know enough about the BF product family to know if they have an equivalent product.

Essence plus was originally designed for cars coated with CQuartz that got wash marring in the coating over time to fill light defects. Prior to this, the only thing that could be done was to remove the CQuartz and re-apply.

It's also found it's way to a 1 step for detailers where the customer can't afford a full correction and coating, so instead the Essence Plus is used. It fills light defects and provides paint protection all at the same time. As far as durability goes, it hasn't been out long enough, in enough types of this use to determine durability.

I have only used it on one car with this procedure and it's held for 4 months so far.

Essence has the same abrasives that are in the Carpro Reflect polish, only less of them. Before Essence came out, Reflect was by far my favorite finishing polish. Essence though does the same job in less then 1/2 the time.
Occasionally I run across some clear coats that just don't like Essence. Usually body shop paint, so I just use Reflect instead.

The abrasives in Reflect don't remove much paint at all, on a standard DA, 1 micron or less of paint depending on pad/machine used. Even with my Flex 3401, the results were the same. Most all GM cars have at least 50 microns of clear coat on them.

So even if you compounded the hell out of your car on the initial paint correction, and removed 5 microns of paint, you could use a finishing polish once a year for the next 44 years before you even had to worry about going through the clear coat.

If your using Reload or Essence Plus on a car washed with foam/2 bucket method, I'd top it once every 3 months with Carpro Hydrofoam.

If your doing rinseless, use "Merlins Magic Elixer" after your rinseless before you dry the excess product off the car.
Use an empty 24 oz bottle, with 1-2 oz. each of ECH20 and Reload, then filled with distilled water. Once every 2 months.

Both are easy to use and take very little time to do.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 07-03-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #47
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Essence plus was originally designed for cars coated with CQuartz that got wash marring in the coating over time to fill light defects. Prior to this, the only thing that could be done was to remove the CQuartz and re-apply.

It's also found it's way to a 1 step for detailers where the customer can't afford a full correction and coating, so instead the Essence Plus is used. It fills light defects and provides paint protection all at the same time. As far as durability goes, it hasn't been out long enough, in enough types of this use to determine durability.

I have only used it on one car with this procedure and it's held for 4 months so far.

Essence has the same abrasives that are in the Carpro Reflect polish, only less of them. Before Essence came out, Reflect was by far my favorite finishing polish. Essence though does the same job in less then 1/2 the time.
Occasionally I run across some clear coats that just don't like Essence. Usually body shop paint, so I just use Reflect instead.

The abrasives in Reflect don't remove much paint at all, on a standard DA, 1 micron or less of paint depending on pad/machine used. Even with my Flex 3401, the results were the same. Most all GM cars have at least 50 microns of clear coat on them.

So even if you compounded the hell out of your car on the initial paint correction, and removed 5 microns of paint, you could use a finishing polish once a year for the next 44 years before you even had to worry about going through the clear coat.

If your using Reload or Essence Plus on a car washed with foam/2 bucket method, I'd top it once every 3 months with Carpro Hydrofoam.

If your doing rinseless, use "Merlins Magic Elixer" after your rinseless before you dry the excess product off the car.
Use an empty 24 oz bottle, with 1-2 oz. each of ECH20 and Reload, then filled with distilled water. Once every 2 months.

Both are easy to use and take very little time to do.
^^^^ This

Used Essence Plus on a Cquartz Coated hood to fix some some scratches in the coating.

Worked decent, but very hard to tell when scratches are just in the coating or all the way through. Obviously if they are through the coating, you would need to polish off and reapply.
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #48
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
This Reload stuff is AMAZING!

I had been using Optimum Opti-Seal which is a polymer sealant similar in application to Reload. It's good stuff and I have been happy with it other than I felt like i needed to do it every 4 months and originally I was told it would last 6 months. Also, if you overdid it on the amount of spray you used on a panel, there would be residue that you would need to buff off and most times I would still see stuff that needs to be buffed the next day. The good thing is that no harm - no foul in terms of the residue still being there.

This Reload stuff goes on similarly but when you go to buff off I find that it picks up on my MF towels a lot more readily. The next day, I had no spots missed and I am not what I would call a perfect buffer. The finish is just amazingly smooth and slippery. Better than what I could expect with Opti-Seal. I mean I was amazed after just the first panel.

I love that we live in an age where protecting your car can be THIS EASY.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #49
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
This Reload stuff is AMAZING!

I had been using Optimum Opti-Seal which is a polymer sealant similar in application to Reload. It's good stuff and I have been happy with it other than I felt like i needed to do it every 4 months and originally I was told it would last 6 months. Also, if you overdid it on the amount of spray you used on a panel, there would be residue that you would need to buff off and most times I would still see stuff that needs to be buffed the next day. The good thing is that no harm - no foul in terms of the residue still being there.

This Reload stuff goes on similarly but when you go to buff off I find that it picks up on my MF towels a lot more readily. The next day, I had no spots missed and I am not what I would call a perfect buffer. The finish is just amazingly smooth and slippery. Better than what I could expect with Opti-Seal. I mean I was amazed after just the first panel.

I love that we live in an age where protecting your car can be THIS EASY.
Reload/Silica products are really a big step up from Polymer products!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #50
Glen e

So after almost 8 weeks or so, both sides showing same gloss and durability:

Old 07-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #51
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the uodate Glen...interesting that they both show same gloss. Either way you can't go wrong with either product.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #52
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The beading on the right side isn't tight, hard to tell about the left because it's shaded, but what can be seen is tighter.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #53
Glen e

At this point in time, There is absolutely no difference in person. I had three friends look at it yesterday and they agree.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #54
jreagle56

Drives: 2022 2SS A10 NPP MRC Red Hot
Looks good. Have you been washing the car once a week? or more or less?
jreagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #55
Glen e

About every 10 days, but trunk lid only gets a fresh water rinse, not products.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #56
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
I just applied blackfire crystal seal after about 2 months from last applying it. It seemed to streak a lot this time. I used the blackfire wax cleaner before as recommended.

I dont think i am applying too much as i do about 2-3 sprays per panel and wipe in one direction

I have to take a fiber after about an hr and wipe out the streaks real fast.