Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

View Poll Results: What is the best performance battery?
Optima Red Top 14 38.89%
Optima Yellow Top 10 27.78%
Kinetik 4 11.11%
Interstate batteries 2 5.56%
Exide 0 0%
Diehard 0 0%
Duralast 1 2.78%
Autocraft Titanium 1 2.78%
Everstart 0 0%
Bosch 0 0%
Other... 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
Why would you want to get a battery for a brand new car? I've had my spec v for 5 years and still have the original. It did go dead once this winter. My dad charged it and said it should be replaced any time, but has'nt died yet. If I were to get anything on a newer car, it would be a mini battery to save weight, but they are pricey and maybe not the best choice if you have a cold winter...
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #16
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Energizer Lithium.......J/K
Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #17
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokintires View Post
I would like to know what battery that will last long and could be rechargeable. The battery would be for a daily driver. And of course a battery that will fit in the wheel well.
Do you plan on leaving the interior lights one every night when you park it?

If it starts the car and gets you where you're going, that's good enough... right?
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 AM   #18
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokintires View Post
I would like to know what battery that will last long and could be rechargeable. The battery would be for a daily driver. And of course a battery that will fit in the wheel well.
If you're not going to use powerful amps on your stereo, the factory battery should last several years.

The factory battery in my Colly lasted 2.5 years and i abused it with the 1800+ watt stereo.

I have a Red Top now and still have a power shortage for the stereo to perform to it's capability but that can only be fixed by improving the alternator. As for cranking, the red top fired right up at -30F back in January.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #19
Parker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
odyssey-expensive, but they last a year or three longer. Very good warranty.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Smoken'em

Drives: Scion tC
I dont recommend Optima, I'd go with Kinetik. If you're looking at the Optima red top then I'd say to look at the Kinetik HC600, the HC600 is a little bit AH rating and half the foot print size of the red top which is good when you're not dealing with much space to begin with.
Smoken'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
odyssey- or Sears Platnum (Same battery)

I have had no luck with Optium Red tops.
The optium Yellow 31 series is good; But good lick fitting it in the camaro.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
A performance battery like the Optima Red Top will start quicker by delivering more current to the starter, especially in cold weather, where most common batteries fail.

Also, it will be able to deliver faster current peaks when your overkill 100TW subwoofer amp is pulling juice to rattle your bodywork and wreck your hearing.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #23
OptimaJim

Drives: 1992 Chevrolet Silverado
Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. kdoske, to answer your question about purchasing a “performance battery,” some folks have had issues with conventional flooded batteries leaking acid and damaging their vehicle (especially C5 owners). Many of those folks prefer to buy an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery, because it minimizes the chance of acid leaking and damaging paint or sensitive electronics. AGM batteries generally last far longer than traditional flooded batteries.

Lovestanda is correct about a quality battery tender or maintainer extending battery life. The key to long battery life (regardless of brand) is to make sure a battery’s voltage is maintained at or above 12.4 volts whenever possible. When batteries are discharged below that level and allowed to sit for extended periods of time, sulfation begins to diminish both capacity and performance.

Our BlueTops do have additional threaded top posts for marine applications, but are otherwise identical internally to their YellowTop counterparts. The one exception is the 34M BlueTop, which is the marine version of our Group 34 RedTop starting battery.

We do strongly recommend YellowTops for vehicles with significant electrical demands, such as large stereos, auxiliary lighting, etc… RedTops are starting/lighting/ignition (SLI) batteries and are ideal for most applications, while YellowTops are true dual-purpose batteries, with an appropriately-sized YellowTop offering plenty of cranking amps, as well as additional reserve capacity and the ability to be deep-cycled. Using a YellowTop on a daily-driven vehicle will not negatively impact battery performance or lifespan at all. In fact, most batteries do better in daily driver applications, than vehicles that only see occasional use.

Although I am not allowed to discuss specific applications, Optima batteries can be found in a wide array of military applications and all of our batteries are made with 99.99% pure, virgin lead, which is pretty standard for all AGM batteries. All of our new RedTops and YellowTops come with three-year free replacement warranties, while new BlueTops come with two-year free replacement warranties. You can read all of our warranty information here- http://optimabatteries.com/optima_products/warranty/

The best warranty is the one you never need to use, but it is a good idea to review warranty terms and conditions prior to making any battery purchase, as warranty periods do vary by manufacturer. Some warranties also have pro-rated terms and specific exclusions for things like batteries that are discharged below 10 volts. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
OptimaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM   #24
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I have red top Optima batteries in all my cars and trucks.
I have no problems out of any of them.
And when i replace the GM battery in the Camaro I hope Optima will have a battery for it.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #25
ARTIE G.

Drives: chevrolet 2010 camaro lt/rs
Its equal to orig delco with extra cca

If you are looking for a long lasting battery, with adequate CCA equal to your original 6 yr. Delco Battery, Look at the Interstate Battery. They are a direct fit with no alterations what so ever. The battery comes with the connector for the vent tube in the trunk. It took 20 minutes to install. It is quite heavy and sturdy and will give you 790CCA ,which is more than enough power the v6.
The power reserve is outstanding, and will power your vehicle for some time if your alternator fails. I had a 1996 Camaro which I installed an Interstate battery, and it lasted 8YEARS! If you buy it at one of Interstates distribution warehouses, it comes shrink wrapped and fresh within one month of manf.
There is no need for a super battery unless you are planning on running a sound studio in your car. I live in an area where temps go to 100 in the summer and sometime 0 in the winter, and had no problem.
ARTIE G. is offline   Reply With Quote