Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
Fuse pull AFTER tune?

Hey guys, this might be a silly question but I'm not sure. I have the SCT Jannetty tune on my car right now, 93 octane tune. Well I went on a road trip and the highest octane I could find when stopping for gas was 92. Could this cause the computer to go to a lower octane table? Could this cause issues with the engine since the tune is for 93? It's almost all gone one and I'm about to fill up with 93, so hopefully it'll be okay, just wanted to check with you guys!

Thanks
-Adam
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
A fuse pull won't change the tune at all. And running 92 octane shouldn't cause it to switch to the low octane table.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
I believe the high octane tables are copied over to the low octane tables anyway so in essence they are the same. Running 92 octane gas won't be a problem. I doubt that every time you fill up with 93 octane, you're actually getting 93. Depends how long the gas is sitting in their tanks. Make sure you go to a station that has high traffic flow, this should lower the chance of getting poor gas. I definately wouldn't put 87 or 89 octane in the tank, but you're fine with 92. The knock sensors will kick in and compensate.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain McFunk View Post
Hey guys, this might be a silly question but I'm not sure. I have the SCT Jannetty tune on my car right now, 93 octane tune. Well I went on a road trip and the highest octane I could find when stopping for gas was 92. Could this cause the computer to go to a lower octane table? Could this cause issues with the engine since the tune is for 93? It's almost all gone one and I'm about to fill up with 93, so hopefully it'll be okay, just wanted to check with you guys!

Thanks
-Adam
The Knock sensor constantly protect the engine so you have nothing to worry about.

Although I would not recommend racing your car on Lower than 93 octane fuel Normal driving is Fine.

A fuse pull does nothing with a tune.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2ssrs View Post
I believe the high octane tables are copied over to the low octane tables anyway so in essence they are the same. Running 92 octane gas won't be a problem. I doubt that every time you fill up with 93 octane, you're actually getting 93. Depends how long the gas is sitting in their tanks. Make sure you go to a station that has high traffic flow, this should lower the chance of getting poor gas. I definately wouldn't put 87 or 89 octane in the tank, but you're fine with 92. The knock sensors will kick in and compensate.
That doesn't seem like a good Best Practice.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
The Knock sensor constantly protect the engine so you have nothing to worry about.

Although I would not recommend racing your car on Lower than 93 octane fuel Normal driving is Fine.

Ted.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:

Ted.
Never really got a tuners opinion on the fuse pull. Ted, is the LS3 and L99 the same as far as the fuses? Or does the LS3 need a battery cable disconnect too?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Never really got a tuners opinion on the fuse pull. Ted, is the LS3 and L99 the same as far as the fuses? Or does the LS3 need a battery cable disconnect too?
Fuse pull works on Stock cars.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Fuse pull works on Stock cars.
Cool. That's what I figured. I assumed most tuners take the low table off.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Cool. That's what I figured. I assumed most tuners take the low table off.
I hope not. Good way to wreck a motor.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
ONLY if you modify and or disable the Knock strategy, too many tuners do this and it is dangerous..

And or if you Forcefully run it on 87 octane when it is tuned for 93.

Ted.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
IndeedSS1

Quote:
Agreed.

That's a safety net. What about the accidental bad gas, or someone unknowingly putting 87 in. On some platforms, MAF sensor failure will default to the low octane table. There's a reason GM doesn't rely on the knock sensors only. If one runs good 93 all of the time, there is no reason to ever worry about the low octane table anyway.

So making the low octance table the same as the high has what benefit under what circumstances?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post

That's a safety net. What about the accidental bad gas, or someone unknowingly putting 87 in. On some platforms, MAF sensor failure will default to the low octane table. There's a reason GM doesn't rely on the knock sensors only. If one runs good 93 all of the time, there is no reason to ever worry about the low octane table anyway.

So making the low octance table the same as the high has what benefit under what circumstances?
Agreed.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Agreed.

Ok, so terminology.

My point was a good tuner will set it up so as to not need to pull the fuses.