Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Alqadif75

Drives: Zl1 2013
Cats install

Dears,
I have 2013 ZL1 with deleted cats,
SW headers
I have 910RWHP
due to much carbon, i am thinking to install CATS to reduce the carbon, i know i might lose some HP but i am willing instead of issues with traffic due to high carbon

Is their and recommendation for after market cats, or shall i go with OEM cats.
Alqadif75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqadif75 View Post
Dears,
I have 2013 ZL1 with deleted cats,
SW headers
I have 910RWHP
due to much carbon, i am thinking to install CATS to reduce the carbon, i know i might lose some HP but i am willing instead of issues with traffic due to high carbon

Is their and recommendation for after market cats, or shall i go with OEM cats.

You don't want to use an OEM CAT with your current setup as not only do you have to fabricate them to your headers, but you will will have a big restriction vs High Flow CATS. I think any of the better HI Flow Cats will do . I have had Dynatech since 2014, the 1st set melted, and they improved them and replaced them, and I haven't had any more issues. You do need to make sure you inspect them annually on a SC motor.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
These look like a good product and GESi has a solid reputation. Maybe call them and see what they recommend?

https://gsportbygesi.com/high-perfor...tems-products/
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
These look like a good product and GESi has a solid reputation. Maybe call them and see what they recommend?

https://gsportbygesi.com/high-perfor...tems-products/
You get what you pay for, the link doesn’t even show a cat for his horsepower rating in what they are referring to as 2016 or later which doesn’t make sense, because a 2016 is a different motor/ exhaust. At that horsepower I would only be looking ARH, Kooks, or Dynatech. You don’t what a disintegration on a Super charged motor, It can suck that CAT filament back up.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Check this out .. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582972
Old 11-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
Silver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
You get what you pay for, the link doesn’t even show a cat for his horsepower rating in what they are referring to as 2016 or later which doesn’t make sense, because a 2016 is a different motor/ exhaust. At that horsepower I would only be looking ARH, Kooks, or Dynatech. You don’t what a disintegration on a Super charged motor, It can suck that CAT filament back up.
Gesi makes the cats for Kooks, Vibrant, maybe even the others you mentioned. Gesi is an emissions company, they are experts in the catalytic converter field and are a wealth of information if one calls them with questions. The year is meaningless for OPs application and the HP rating is per bank.

How would a disintegrated cat enter the intake of an engine?
Old 11-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Gesi makes the cats for Kooks, Vibrant, maybe even the others you mentioned. Gesi is an emissions company, they are experts in the catalytic converter field and are a wealth of information if one calls them with questions. The year is meaningless for OPs application and the HP rating is per bank.

How would a disintegrated cat enter the intake of an engine?
Posted an internal GM bulletin on how it happens about 6 years ago as GM started denying claims on LSA’s with excessive boost and headers with cats. The short of it is some of the cats particles made it back into the head, and they found pieces embedded in the pistons. You can search under my threads and I am sure you will find it.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Quote:
Posted an internal GM bulletin on how it happens about 6 years ago as GM started denying claims on LSA’s with excessive boost and headers with cats. The short of it is some of the cats particles made it back into the head, and they found pieces embedded in the pistons. You can search under my threads and I am sure you will find it.

Here ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GM Tech Note.pdf (458.1 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #9
Silver14

Quote:
Here ya go.

Thanks for sharing, here's a more detailed version. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...40293-9999.pdf
Old 11-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty CC View Post
I read the bulletin and it states if the CC were to plug and break apart it would suck in particles and I assume this would apply to most engines? Certainly an argument to take them off a high dollar engine in any case. I would imagine trying to run a car with a clogged CC would be difficult to keep running as well and you would see problems well before that maybe. Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered that would be a "thing".
I posted pics sometime back of my 1st set that started coming apart. Small little flakes as it starts to crumble. You only hope under pressure they are getting blown all the way to the rear. But the front of the CAT tends to come apart first, and therefore not enough of the CAT has broke down for the debris to pass.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
At 900hp I would not recommend cats. They are going to get chewed up quickly and cause other issues. If you want a race car......
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote