Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-19-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
jtp01

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette
New SS 1LE

I'm waiting on my SS 1LE to be delivered and researching a few minor upgrades. My primary question is around intakes, I'm leaning toward the GM Performance intake to ensure I do not have any warranty issues. That said, this intake looks identical to the Cold Air Inductions model. However, if I understand correctly, I must take the GM version in to the dealership for a tune but the other states it does not require a tune. I've found conflicting information around the tune for the GM version, is it really necessary or is it simply for emissions?
jtp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The CAI and GM versions look the same but they are different internally. The GM version has a layer of hydrocarbon absorption material inside the intake tube to meet CARB requirements. The tune adjusts the MAF table to account for the different air flow. I don’t know enough about the difference in air flow to say if the tune is required or just recommended.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp01 View Post
I'm waiting on my SS 1LE to be delivered and researching a few minor upgrades. My primary question is around intakes, I'm leaning toward the GM Performance intake to ensure I do not have any warranty issues. That said, this intake looks identical to the Cold Air Inductions model. However, if I understand correctly, I must take the GM version in to the dealership for a tune but the other states it does not require a tune. I've found conflicting information around the tune for the GM version, is it really necessary or is it simply for emissions?
I have the GMP CAI, if you want to keep your warranty intact (without question) go with the GMP CAI... I bought mine from the link below (way cheaper than the dealer), installed it myself (took 45 minutes with basic hand tools) and took it to the dealer for the included free tune... (there is a code they need on the front of the installation manual so they get paid for the tune from GM).

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfo...-92304337.html

After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtp01 View Post
to the forums, and congratulations on your beast

I'd hold off on a CAI, or any performance upgrade for that matter, at least for a while until you get comfortable with the car. I had the GM intake, it is practically a "looks only" upgrade even with the GM tune, and a quite expensive one at that.

For example, you'd be much better off spending your money on the BMR rear cradle lockout kit to improve rear end stability under load, which I presume is what you bought the 1LE for.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:52 AM   #5
jtp01

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette
Thank you all for the information, very helpful. Sounds like it's best to go with the GMP version when I'm ready to add the CAI. Thanks again, I appreciate each of your responses.

This will be our first Camaro, at least in a long time, I had a 1984 when I was younger but that's been 30 years...lol
jtp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
to the forums, and congratulations on your beast

I'd hold off on a CAI, or any performance upgrade for that matter, at least for a while until you get comfortable with the car. I had the GM intake, it is practically a "looks only" upgrade even with the GM tune, and a quite expensive one at that.

For example, you'd be much better off spending your money on the BMR rear cradle lockout kit to improve rear end stability under load, which I presume is what you bought the 1LE for.
This is all very spot on.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote