Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
BMGR1

Drives: 17' SS 1LE
Question Need Opinions on aftermarket exhausts

Ok so I've only had the car for a week and I'm already looking for an aftermarket exhaust.... I haven't heard any setups in person so that's why I'm creating this thread.

I've looked at different setups on youtube and a lot of the times I feel that the video just really doesn't do the ar any justice in terms of how loud it sounds.

I'm trying to keep the the NPP valves function so I need an exhaust that still carries that option

I've been mainly looking at the stainless works and borla atak systems any other good sounding systems out there?

Thanks again for any opinions
BMGR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Hagels316

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
You are 100% right when you say videos online do not do the sound any justice. The dynamic range on these aftermarket exhausts is incredible and cannot be captured/reproduced without high quality microphones and playback systems. An NPP exhaust sounds as "loud" as borla or stainless works so its really hard to tell as to how loud it really is when not in person. But the videos do let you hear the different tones of each of the exhaust systems out there. Each company has a distinct sound.

I have heard Borla and Stainless Works in person. I personally went with the SW catback paired with kooks headers. SW has a very deep aggressive throaty tone. Borla is a bit more higher pitched but not by much (depending on if you choose the S-type or atak. They both sound amazing so you can't go wrong with either one.

Both borla and SW have NPP valve options. But I chose SW b/c they offer a full 3 inch catback with no resonators which is crucial for my needs. I think borla is coming out with a 3 inch NPP valve option at some point though. If you have an automatic you have to worry about the AFM valves. Disconnecting the valves will throw a code that you cannot tune out. Borla and SW both offer AFM valves with their catbacks and SW also offers an AFM valve delete which can save you money (will not throw a code).
I know there is a member on here that has the Borla S type with borla midpipes. I'm sure he will chime in to voice his opinion and provide a video which would be great.

You also have to consider cost. The SW system is less expensive but does have drone. The borla is more expensive b/c the mufflers eliminate drone via noise cancellation. Both are high quality and have excellent fitment (Borla having the slight edge on perfect fitment). Speaking of quality, I would recommend a system that only uses 304 grade stainless steel (both borla and SW are 304).

If you have manual trans, there are more options to choose from b/c you do not have to worry about the AFM valves. However, you do choose to go with a system that does not provide a AFM delete solution, EFI tuning makes a module that you can plug into the valves which will disable the functionality and prevent a code.

Here are list of companies that make exhaust systems for the 6th gen. Some offer full catbacks with headers, some are only axlebacks.

Borla (NPP compatible)
Stainless Works (NPP compatible)
Corsa (NPP not available yet)
Flowmaster
Afe (NPP compatible, manual only)
MRT (no NPP)
Magnaflow
Hagels316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
BMGR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagels316 View Post
You are 100% right when you say videos online do not do the sound any justice. The dynamic range on these aftermarket exhausts is incredible and cannot be captured/reproduced without high quality microphones and playback systems. An NPP exhaust sounds as "loud" as borla or stainless works so its really hard to tell as to how loud it really is when not in person. But the videos do let you hear the different tones of each of the exhaust systems out there. Each company has a distinct sound.

I have heard Borla and Stainless Works in person. I personally went with the SW catback paired with kooks headers. SW has a very deep aggressive throaty tone. Borla is a bit more higher pitched but not by much (depending on if you choose the S-type or atak. They both sound amazing so you can't go wrong with either one.

Both borla and SW have NPP valve options. But I chose SW b/c they offer a full 3 inch catback with no resonators which is crucial for my needs. I think borla is coming out with a 3 inch NPP valve option at some point though. If you have an automatic you have to worry about the AFM valves. Disconnecting the valves will throw a code that you cannot tune out. Borla and SW both offer AFM valves with their catbacks and SW also offers an AFM valve delete which can save you money (will not throw a code).
I know there is a member on here that has the Borla S type with borla midpipes. I'm sure he will chime in to voice his opinion and provide a video which would be great.

You also have to consider cost. The SW system is less expensive but does have drone. The borla is more expensive b/c the mufflers eliminate drone via noise cancellation. Both are high quality and have excellent fitment (Borla having the slight edge on perfect fitment). Speaking of quality, I would recommend a system that only uses 304 grade stainless steel (both borla and SW are 304).

If you have manual trans, there are more options to choose from b/c you do not have to worry about the AFM valves. However, you do choose to go with a system that does not provide a AFM delete solution, EFI tuning makes a module that you can plug into the valves which will disable the functionality and prevent a code.

Here are list of companies that make exhaust systems for the 6th gen. Some offer full catbacks with headers, some are only axlebacks.

Borla (NPP compatible)
Stainless Works (NPP compatible)
Corsa (NPP not available yet)
Flowmaster
Afe (NPP compatible, manual only)
MRT (no NPP)
Magnaflow
Thanks again for your input Hagels.... I did notice the SW catback having a deeper tone/growl than the borla... but like you said the borla has no drone and idk if I want a system that drones since I have a 03' 350z with an Injen catback w/cat delete and it does get annoying at times lol

I'm looking for a catback that has good gains in HP/TQ as well or has been actually dyno tested by forum members

I hear the MBRP exhaust is one of the loudest. I see they use the Helmholtz design which I believe was used in the 350z platform and they did perform very well in terms of flow and sound.

Thanks again for the input
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Loudest with rasp - Corsa
Deepest muscle sound - Flowmasters (https://instagram.com/p/BS4dzlYj9Of/)
Most artificial booming sound - Magnaflow
Zero drones - Cora/Borla
Best of loud & muscle - SW and MBRP

& of course..

Drone - Flowmasters, Stainless Works, Magnaflow

I can't recall AFE having any drone but it does sound badass but my buddy had headers along with it.. Never heard MRT in person.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
BMGR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Zero drones - Cora/Borla

& of course..

I can't recall AFE having any drone but it does sound badass but my buddy had headers along with it.. Never heard MRT in person.
Thanks for the input Richard, that camaro of yours is looking pretty menacing

I would have already bought an MBRP system but they lack the NPP option, I think if they added it to their systems it would definitely be a plus even if the price point jumped a coupled hundred dollars
Old 04-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Hagels316

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGR1 View Post
Thanks again for your input Hagels.... I did notice the SW catback having a deeper tone/growl than the borla... but like you said the borla has no drone and idk if I want a system that drones since I have a 03' 350z with an Injen catback w/cat delete and it does get annoying at times lol

I'm looking for a catback that has good gains in HP/TQ as well or has been actually dyno tested by forum members

I hear the MBRP exhaust is one of the loudest. I see they use the Helmholtz design which I believe was used in the 350z platform and they did perform very well in terms of flow and sound.

Thanks again for the input
No Prob - I spent almost a year trying to decide on exhaust so I know how it can be.

Yes the MBRP exhaust is one of the loudest simply because it does not have mufflers (only resonators). Which may pose a different issue with inspection depending on what state you live in (in my state mufflers are required). Phastek Performance just did an install and test video on the MBRP setup. It looks and sounds amazing with no drone (probably due to the great design). Might be worth checking out.

I will say the drone with my setup is louder than most b/c I have headers and had SW fabricate the xpipe to not include their resonator which is suppose to reduce drone and overall loudness. But when the exhaust flaps are closed the drone is very minimal. Drone will be more apparent with manual transmission from what I've read from other forum members.

I really liked the Borla but could not get over the fact that they only offer an 2.75 inch setup with muffler output at 2.5 inch into 4inch tips (if you chose NPP option). It's great if you only want to do a catback. But if you plan to get in the 500+ RWHP range you may want to consider exhaust setups with full 3 inch (I believe the MBRP is 3 inch as well).

As far as a catback providing HP/TQ increase the gains are minimal at best but can be had just not nearly as good as headers+CAI and tune would provide.

Last edited by Hagels316; 04-19-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #7
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:

I would have already bought an MBRP system but they lack the NPP option, I think if they added it to their systems it would definitely be a plus even if the price point jumped a coupled hundred dollars
No problem brutha, there are a lot of threads on exhaust here!

Thanks, we both have good taste with color
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Hagels316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Zero drones - Cora/Borla

& of course..

Agreed!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Borla S-type is the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard so far on our cars. My subjective opinion, but I have excellent taste.

+1 for Borla all day every day.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
BMGR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Borla S-type is the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard so far on our cars. My subjective opinion, but I have excellent taste.

+1 for Borla all day every day.
You can't knock Borla's quality and sound that's for sure
Old 04-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
love my afe power headers with cats and full exhaust with npp!
Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Agree that you can't get great sound on a video but consider the MBRP. IMO it has a much stronger "muscle car" sound than the Borla. It also does not have any drone whatsoever and the cabin of the car is plenty quiet to where not having NPP doesn't matter.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #13
Hagels316

I will add that whatever exhaust you choose, its a great idea to also consider headers. It just puts whatever you got on a much larger scale (power and sound). Most headers will "sound" the same so brand wise it doesn't matter too much in that regard.

It's like adding a really high powered clean amplifier to your already nice set of mean sounding speakers!
Old 04-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Im diggin my ARH LTH and borla S-types. super docile in the cabin in stealth mode and sounds like hell is rolling down the road in track mode.

slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote