#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-11-2024, 12:41 PM   #1
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Arrow Track Pads to OEM pads

I'm wondering...

If i run out of Track pad during a HPDE day... how bad is the OEM on-track? I've still got some of those left.

I'm thinking i'm going to blow thru the braking zone being used to more mu on the previous pad.

Just start braking at "6" instead

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:57 PM   #2
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
The OE pads on the SS 1LE and ZL1 are really really good. For HPDE, no need to upgrade anything but fluid on either setup especially considering even advanced drivers drive at less than 8/10’s. The OE pad’s longer pedal and modulation are great for trail braking and haven’t seen data re deceleration longitudinal G improvement when moving to other track oriented pads. With other pads, you risk issues with heat dissipation and ABS since the ABS system is designed to optimize the vehicle platform [caliper/pad/rotor/platform weight, aero, tire grip levels, etc.) and dynamics. Granted, at advanced race pace 9/10) with OE pads, the pedal gets longer on the 3-4 flyer but I have yet to determine if it is just overall heat soak, degrading grip levels of the tires or just worn components (thinning pads/rotors) or improved with a different pad or brake cooling setup.

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 03-11-2024 at 01:11 PM.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:07 PM   #3
FactoryMatt

Drives: '22 2SS 1LE
only 1 data point here, but they're okay. you'll smell them when you're outside of their operating window. i had to ease off at end of fourth gear straights, but very manageable.
FactoryMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:07 PM   #4
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
only 1 data point here, but they're okay. you'll smell them when you're outside of their operating window. i had to ease off at end of fourth gear straights, but very manageable.

Note to self: Do NOT dive bomb corners on stockers.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:15 PM   #5
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
My experience is I only smell the OE pads if i am with a newer student on the track and they r just getting into threshold braking or new pads/rotors - usually the first time they crack 140+ at Road Atlanta and have them stand on the brakes at 10a,, The smell is new pads finally getting hot and off-gassing (maybe resin) while laying down a good hot deposit — I back off a little for a couple of corners then send the flyers since the pads are just coming into the operating window.. No smell for rest of sessions no matter how hard i push.

Last edited by NorthGeorgia; 03-11-2024 at 04:30 PM.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:04 PM   #6
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I have been using stock SS 1LE pads with stock tires for 5 years and finally just tried a race pad for the first time recently. Stock pads are great for track use on every track I've visited but probably not the most cost efficient (race pads will wear slower so less cost per track hour and less labor changing pads but they probably wear the expensive front rotors faster too).

I have tried stock pads with 100 treadwear Supercar 3R tires (not recommended) and could smell them even in the sessions after they were already bedded in and they wore extremely fast (1 new set of fronts per 2 hours at COTA!) but they still stopped the car well although I could see slightly less stopping Gs than the tires were capable of at COTA even with 5/5 braking on the PDR video overlay.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 PM   #7
cdrptrks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Note to self: Do NOT dive bomb corners on stockers.
I braked close to as late as possible from 140+mph 3 times in 2:30 at Road America (plus other smaller braking zones) on stock pads and stock tires without issues but my pads did wear faster at that track than most others. I didn't try doing laps that fast for every single lap of a whole session but I would guess the tires would probably overheat and start to slide before the brake fade became noticeable on stock tires.

Note that I have installed the GM plastic track brake cooling deflectors (Blackwing deflectors would work too, maybe better) and the smaller metal brake dust / splash shields behind the front rotors...results might be worse without them.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:38 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Manufacturers will probably recommend using garnet paper or a ball hone drill attachment on the rotors to remove the old pad transfer layer if you switch from a track pad to a street pad (unless you're using the same brand) which would require jacking the car up (and waiting for the rotors to cool if using garnet paper). Idk if this is actually required.

Also you will likely have to push the brake pedal down farther with stock pads than track pads to get the same stopping g force because of the mu difference.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:40 AM   #9
Twizzty
$$$$...$$...$$$...$$$$...

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I really like the feel of the OE pads with OE tires but they do wear faster than dedicated track pads. I have been able to find them on Amazon as low as $175 for the fronts though so that's not bad.
2021 CX-5 Carbon Turbo AWD
Twizzty is offline   Reply With Quote