Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 12-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Black Wheels Update

Got a call from the dealer last week - service manager asked me to bring the camaro by when I had a chance. Chevy has approved replacing the wheels - he just needs to look at them again to see which wheels to order. The rears have gotten worse since I originally took it in.

Only 3900 miles on it and I've had it about 3 months. I was surprised it took Chevy so long to make a decision but I'm glad they are taking care of it. Not really their fault - the wheels looked fine when I bought the car so their quality inspections wouldnt have found it. I just hope my next set come from a different manufacturing run at their vendor.....

mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:03 AM   #2
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Thats is good to know. Mine are looking very poor
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #3
airems

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Black wheels are a nightmare to keep looking good.

Gloss can be waxed and polished when they are scuffed or scratched, Matte ones, well good luck with touching those up.

Love the look, hate the upkeep.
airems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:20 AM   #4
Hekate1

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
Has this been a problem for many? I have the same wheels. So far they still look new after 17k miles. Hope I don't start having the same issue.
Hekate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #5
Hock23

Drives: Black 2016 RS
What about black powdercoated rims? I had black powdercoated rims on my old Tiburon and never had a problem with them looking dull.
Hock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Powdercoating is always the best route to go. Much more durable finish over paint

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
terri_Lovehands

Drives: 2016 1LT RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModdedSS View Post
Powdercoating is always the best route to go. Much more durable finish over paint
does powder coating make the wheels more brittle/weaker? I've heard people say you shouldn't track powder coated wheels because of how it makes the wheels weaker.
terri_Lovehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
Hock23

Drives: Black 2016 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_Lovehands View Post
does powder coating make the wheels more brittle/weaker? I've heard people say you shouldn't track powder coated wheels because of how it makes the wheels weaker.
Yeah, i've heard that baking the wheels weakens the integrity of the wheels, can anyone confirm?
Hock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #9
Wagnbat

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black 2SS
Sounds hokey... But it would depend on the metal/alloy in the wheels. A quick google search shows that powder coat typically cures at about 400-450 degrees.

One would reasonably assume that forged wheels are forged at a much higher temperature... Stainless steel, bronze, copper, and aluminum all have melting points of 950 degrees and above.

Melting Points: http://www.onlinemetals.com/meltpt.cfm

Tin is not listed, but it has a melting point of 450 degrees. So if tin (or similar low melting point metal or bonding material) is one of the metals used in the forging/fabrication process... Then yes, those wheels would likely suffer during the powder coating curing process.
Wagnbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri_Lovehands View Post

This is been discussed in practically every forum I've ever been on. The consensus is any good powder coater will not have to heat the wheel enough to make it brittle or a problem. This is also the answer I asked of Forgeline, one of the best wheel makers in the business, when I bought mine.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote