Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-18-2019, 01:39 PM   #15
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Jason Cammisa (Formerly of MotorTrend) said it best - Laptimes are for couch potatoes and bench racers. No owner worth his/her salt will put their cars to the kind of abuse motoring journalists do.

There is no prize for obtaining a PB (Personal Best) at a HDPE event.

Enjoy the cars for what they offer in a safe environment free of ego and bragging rights.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Jason Cammisa (Formerly of MotorTrend) said it best - Laptimes are for couch potatoes and bench racers. No owner worth his/her salt will put their cars to the kind of abuse motoring journalists do.
Why buy a car like this if you aren't going to let it do what it can do?

The question is not is the A10 Z1LE faster than the M6, it is how much faster is it?
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #17
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
I leave this thread for a few hours and it’s gone to 💩!

Dudes - this is not an m6 is better then a10 or a10 is better then an m6 thread or video. There’s so much more going on here. From better driving needed from me in most corners, to comparing r888rs vs supercar 3rs to just the all round awesomeness of two cars going fast. Pushing 4000lbs 650 hp cars to their limits is a skill worth celebrating regardless if it’s a manual or auto.

For those in the tt, gridlife, scca worlds lap times do matter. That’s ok. Some folks will never take their beasts on track: that’s ok too.

I, for one, wanted to trade in my car for an a10 zle. After doing this exercise I learned there’s a lot more to my driving (6 - 8 /10ths) and tires before the autos advantage really becomes outright prevalent. It’s all good. Enjoy the cars and have fun!
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
Why buy a car like this if you aren't going to let it do what it can do?

The question is not is the A10 Z1LE faster than the M6, it is how much faster is it?
In the sim using asseto corsa I’m 1 second a lap faster with no lift shifting. My personal feeling is the advantage will be about that for most tracks - I’m guessing the auto will make up the most time on long straights where the m6 zle has to shift multiple times. Each time the m6 shifts I suspect it’ll loose a mph or 2 as the a10 accelerates.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #19
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
I have a SS 1LE and love it. I am looking at getting a ZL1 1LE - with the auto. Not having to worry about a "money shift" is one of the reasons. That said, in dozens of track days in the last 2.5 years, I have "money shifted" once, but, caught a 2-1 (was to be 2-3 upshift) when I just started to pull the clutch out, so, it did not over rev nor lock the rear up. However, it only takes once severe enough to make a mess of the engine and / or car.

I would agree the M6 is more engaging. One of my sons and I drove 600 miles of backroads the other day and had a blast. I'd be keeping the SS 1LE for my boys and I to continue to enjoy. Have almost 26K miles on it and love that car.

If the SS 1LE was an auto, I'd probably go with a manual in the ZL1 1LE. Both my boys learned on manuals, have manuals as daily drivers, and so do I. Even the wife used to drive a manual daily - back in the day - but newer autos and dual clutch transmissions are making it harder to not think about when the third pedal will be a distant memory.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Wrong, why don't you ask Porsche why they brought it back after killing the manual in the 991.1 GT3.

Enthusiasts and people who 'CARE' about driving buy manuals. There is no substitute.

Manufacturers are pandering to the fact that majority of the public do not know how to drive stick and therefore do not buy them. There is little to no business case for them to conduct R&D on manuals because the public can't drive them. More importantly, the business case for an Auto has driven manufacturers to make them faster and more responsive as is the case for the PDK and Fast torque converters.
There it is guys.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:05 PM   #21
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:

There is no prize for obtaining a PB (Personal Best) at a HDPE event.

Enjoy the cars for what they offer in a safe environment free of ego and bragging rights.
Adam Sandler look alike. Please.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #22
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleaded28 View Post
If nobody cared about manuals then NO manufacturers would have them.
It’s getting there.
Faster than you know.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Wrong, why don't you ask Porsche why they brought it back after killing the manual in the 991.1 GT3.

Enthusiasts and people who 'CARE' about driving buy manuals. There is no substitute.

Manufacturers are pandering to the fact that majority of the public do not know how to drive stick and therefore do not buy them. There is little to no business case for them to conduct R&D on manuals because the public can't drive them. More importantly, the business case for an Auto has driven manufacturers to make them faster and more responsive as is the case for the PDK and Fast torque converters.
Porsche is a small car company. Let’s get real here.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #24
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
For some strange reason some folks believe that driving a manual is something 'hard' compared to an auto. If you are going fast, it doesn't matter.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #25
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by viurniel View Post
For some strange reason some folks believe that driving a manual is something 'hard' compared to an auto. If you are going fast, it doesn't matter.
It makes them more involved. Lol.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #26
RDBill
902HP 858TQ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I was lucky enough to speak to a BMW project manager who lives over in Germany. He's currently responsible for the new M4 coming out and he stated that the automatics nowadays are better in every way. They are faster and have better fuel economy. The only reason for a manual transmission is for that small population who still enjoys driving them but that we definitely see fewer and fewer manuals in the future.

We are all allowed to like what we like but automatics are already the better choice and they are only going to get better
RDBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #27
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Manual=fun, engaging, impress your friends, no one will drive your car!
Auto= Easy, lazy, winning!
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #28
Sibze

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
"Randy strongly felt there were some tenths left in the automatic ZL1. He worked with a couple of engineers from Chevy and kept adjusting tire pressures and lapping. The result? An unofficial lap time of 1:25.87, recorded on the ZL1's optional Performance Data Recorder (PDR). A McLaren 650S Spider—a mid-engine, 3,239-pound, 641-horsepower, carbon-fiber supercar—does a 1:25.88. Yes, you read that right. The quarter-million-dollar McLaren got beat by a Camaro. But because our test team didn't run the numbers—meaning we don't have a Vbox data file of the lap—we have to asterisk Randy's lunchtime lap"
Sibze is offline   Reply With Quote