Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #169
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
The base V8 Camaro from 1993 to 2002 was a Z28. You're not diluting anything by calling the 7th gen base V8 a Z28 or Z/28.
They used Z28 for the base V8 going back to 1977. The SS badge was absent for years. GM themselves diluted the original intent of the Z28. It pretty much became open season to put it on any V8 after that.

There’s a whole generation of us 80s kids who grew up with the thinking that Z28 was the V8 we could all afford - it was even on the 5.0 liter 160 horse lol
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #170
Disarmer

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
Oh, one more thing I forgot I'd like to see in the next generation: Get rid of the dumb as hell model naming scheme. Currently in just the Camaro lineup, you can purchase these:
1LS
1LT
1LT 1LE
1LT RS
2LT
2LT 1LE
2LT RS
3LT
3LT 1LE
3LT RS
LT1
LT1 RS
1SS
1SS 1LE
2SS
2SS 1LE
ZL1
ZL1 1LE

Now tell me how many people that are not frequenting a Camaro forum could ever come close to telling you what any of those are? The ONLY thing recognizable for a "normal" person is that they know SS means V8. That's it. Dodge is over here with trim names like Hellcat, Demon, TRX (T-rex) and Chevy is throwing random RPO codes out there. Stop using random letter combinations (even if they are historic ones) and make some real names for trims/packages that people can actually remember. This is all part of the branding/marketing issue Chevy has had for a decade now.

/rant
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #171
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
They used Z28 for the base V8 going back to 1977. The SS badge was absent for years. GM themselves diluted the original intent of the Z28. It pretty much became open season to put it on any V8 after that.

There’s a whole generation of us 80s kids who grew up with the thinking that Z28 was the V8 we could all afford - it was even on the 5.0 liter 160 horse lol
Actually, the later 2nd gen Z28s weren't the base V8 cars. There was a 305 V8 available in non Z28 trims starting in 1977.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #172
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
The base V8 Camaro from 1993 to 2002 was a Z28. You're not diluting anything by calling the 7th gen base V8 a Z28 or Z/28.
Base V8 vs base (overall) is getting kind of picky, no?

Norm
Old 01-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #173
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarmer View Post
Oh, one more thing I forgot I'd like to see in the next generation: Get rid of the dumb as hell model naming scheme. Currently in just the Camaro lineup, you can purchase these:
1LS
1LT
1LT 1LE
1LT RS
2LT
2LT 1LE
2LT RS
3LT
3LT 1LE
3LT RS
LT1
LT1 RS
1SS
1SS 1LE
2SS
2SS 1LE
ZL1
ZL1 1LE

Now tell me how many people that are not frequenting a Camaro forum could ever come close to telling you what any of those are? The ONLY thing recognizable for a "normal" person is that they know SS means V8. That's it. Dodge is over here with trim names like Hellcat, Demon, TRX (T-rex) and Chevy is throwing random RPO codes out there. Stop using random letter combinations (even if they are historic ones) and make some real names for trims/packages that people can actually remember. This is all part of the branding/marketing issue Chevy has had for a decade now.

/rant
BMW/MB/Audi has M/AMG/S & RS.

Subaru has STi.

Nissan has Nismo.

People seem to recognize those fine.

It's tricky to come up with good names. One wrong step and you sound like a teenager trying to be 3dgy.

Again, may have to do with just how GM's marketing can be at times.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #174
ThirdGenNut

Drives: 2020 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
BMW/MB/Audi has M/AMG/S & RS.

Subaru has STi.

Nissan has Nismo.

People seem to recognize those fine.

It's tricky to come up with good names. One wrong step and you sound like a teenager trying to be 3dgy.

Again, may have to do with just how GM's marketing can be at times.
Its easy.

base = price champion
rs = looks
berlinetta = tech
z28 = v8 price champion
ss = v8 + tech
zl1 = looks + streetable race car
1le option = track ready
ThirdGenNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #175
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
This thread would be better info, if people would post what more specifically they'd want in a next gen Camaro (dump the T4 & 3.6 for a maxed-cube 4.3 block base engine). And not what they think works in the market, or what they think GM wants to offer.
m'kay . . .

A slightly lower beltline, by maybe an inch. Hold the roof height about where it is and put that inch into the glass height.

The double-hump instrument panel isn't all that intrusive, but it does look like it's fussy for the sake of fussiness. There's got to be a better way here.

Another vote for less tech. How about a limited-edition version of the SS/1LE with technology content comparable to the 5th gen Z/28.

Steering that isn't heavy for the sake of being heavy (like it is in 'Track mode'). Steering weight is not the same thing as steering feel.

Norm
Old 01-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #176
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
1LS
1LT
1LT 1LE
1LT RS
2LT
2LT 1LE
2LT RS
3LT
3LT 1LE
3LT RS
LT1
LT1 RS
1SS
1SS 1LE
2SS
2SS 1LE
ZL1
ZL1 1LE

/rant

I agree and I work for the DoD, who make Acronyms for Acronyms and I after 20 years think this is a little silly.

And SS should be more motor, they should really do something with Z/28 maybe make Hellcat Killer with the name, deserves more then appearance RS package.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #177
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
You may get a face lift or a slight tail panel change but Chevy isn't going to redesign a car destined to die. Chevy needs to take a hard look at why they are 3rd in sales and remedy that. So far as engine options are concerned it isn't that hard for a worker or a robot to move a couple feet and pick up another engine option. Give the damned car 800 horsepower and an 8 speed dual clutch automatic. trim off some of the excess weight and strengthen the car (Oh, and put some reinforcement where the car can more easily be jacked up with a stinking floor jack). OK GM, if you have to charge more money for this, knock off some glitter and make this a business only Camaro. It will make you lot's of money.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:21 AM   #178
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
for them to not call a electric car a Camaro.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #179
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
1LS
1LT
1LT 1LE
1LT RS
2LT
2LT 1LE
2LT RS
3LT
3LT 1LE
3LT RS
LT1
LT1 RS
1SS
1SS 1LE
2SS
2SS 1LE
ZL1
ZL1 1LE

/rant
I agree, albeit to a limited extent. There's a few alphameric combinations that do carry some meaning, so there's good enough reason for hanging onto them in as close to the original context as possible.

All it does by using that naming approach for every trim/whatever is that the ones with any real historical significance start losing some of the 'specialness' they had.

But I guess that's the way people with a business management education tend to think.

Norm
Old 01-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #180
Thrashed1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
Easier entry and exit! These 6 gens are tight!
GM Spectrum Lighting
Alpine component speakers, JBL amp, Magnum Subs
3M tinted windows
ZL1 Add Ons front and rear rock guards
Stainless Works headers and x-pipe
Borla ATAK axleback exhaust
Dyno tuned at National Speed, 464rwhp, 493ft lbs
Next up, MSD intake manifold and another set of dyno tunes
Thrashed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:19 PM   #181
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashed1LE View Post
Easier entry and exit! These 6 gens are tight!
Use your tilt/telescope wheel to get in and out easier, and if you have a 2SS program your seat exit memory to automatically go all the way back and up when you open the door. It’s a Godsend!
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #182
Bob54

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Convertible
I would like the 7th Gen to look like the 2nd Gen.

And it needs to have a model that is faster 0 to 60 than the fastest Tesla, 2.5 seconds. If it isn't faster than a 4 door Tesla then why bother.

If it can be done with an ICE fine, otherwise go electric.
Bob54 is offline   Reply With Quote