#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-25-2022, 10:41 PM   #15
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Hopefully the subframe and under the car isn’t damaged too bad.
Both subframes are ok, the front support brace was torn up. Found a replacement along with my other parts from a low mileage ZLE. Oil is from the motor mount and I suspect from the cam swap.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:16 AM   #16
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
Every thought about filming any of this? I'd watch lol.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:58 AM   #17
Corbs09

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Flavor View Post
Every thought about filming any of this? I'd watch lol.
I would too, but I am sure filming would just slow him down at this point. He is JAMMING through this.
Corbs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:52 AM   #18
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
This is very cool, impressive progress. It looks like the top of the engine is a little tilted, is that normal or did damage do that?

Not surprising, but you said subframes are ok
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #19
KSZLE

Drives: 2021 GT500 CFTP (sold)
So what's the economics on something like this? Is this a hobby of yours, a side gig or can you sell a car in this condition with a salvage title (assumed) and come out ahead? I am impressed with your ability to examine and understand what is needed in such an organized fashion.
KSZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:48 PM   #20
Strange Flavor

Drives: 17 Fifty SS, 11 2SS, 91 LSX C1500
The economics are tricky, you can sell a car with a salvaged title but you'll be far from the price of one that isn't in most cases. Depends on your skillset, what all is wrong with the car and what you picked it up for. Most things aren't disclosed at auction. You could come out way ahead, even, or under.

I bought back my 11' and plan to fix is but I imagine it's not going to be worth it from a monetary standpoint but in my case it's a hobby so I don't care. Obviously a newer (ZL1) will fair better in the market.

If the numbers work out it's a good way to get a deal if you can do most the work yourself and your alright with a salvaged title. I do believe some states will hassle you about the title.
Strange Flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:16 PM   #21
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
This is very cool, impressive progress. It looks like the top of the engine is a little tilted, is that normal or did damage do that?

Not surprising, but you said subframes are ok
Thanks, there was a broken motor mount on the passenger side. I’m sure the look on my face was priceless when I jacked it up from under the pan with a 12x12 piece of wood subfloor and oil started running onto the shop floor. They are viscous mounts once I smelled the oil I knew it wasn’t engine oil.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:24 PM   #22
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Any tips on removing the passenger side A pillar interior trim? Mine seems to be tied to an airbag and I haven't been able to remove it and replace. The top clip was broken when I bought it so the thing has never sat right.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #23
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypeBlueZL1 View Post
Any tips on removing the passenger side A pillar interior trim? Mine seems to be tied to an airbag and I haven't been able to remove it and replace. The top clip was broken when I bought it so the thing has never sat right.
Here’s what the manual says. It was a bear to remove the tether from the trim, it would make more sense to replace the trim as the tether is fine, the plastic slot on the trim gets deformed from prying it out. The way I read it they don’t want the trim to come loose from the tether and become a projectile if the curtain air bag inflates.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2022, 05:45 PM   #24
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSZLE View Post
So what's the economics on something like this? Is this a hobby of yours, a side gig or can you sell a car in this condition with a salvage title (assumed) and come out ahead? I am impressed with your ability to examine and understand what is needed in such an organized fashion.
Thanks, as Strange Flavor said it can be tricky. It’s a hobby for me, I guess I discovered that I like to rescue cars. It’s a great place to spend my time after dinner instead of on the couch watching TV and having a cocktail. It is possible I’m sure to do it for profit but I am a contractor with better opportunities in the construction field during the day.

You have to assume that there is a good reason why the car was condemned to the auction/salvage yard to begin with. Just because it looks like it needs some minor bodywork and TLC in the photos there’s almost certainly some surprises you don’t see. Even when you go to inspect them in person you can’t see all of the frame and suspension or anything underneath the car.

I bought this car because the ZLE is a pretty sought after car that has a high value and likely will continue to hold its value in the future. Also planning to take it to the track. Of course restored title vehicles will not have as high of a value as a clean title car, but I’m willing to bet if it’s done right and documented someone will want the car and the discounted price is what will make ownership possible for them. With that being said, I personally would be leery of a restored title vehicle purchased to flip because I have seen all of the ways you could cut corners and not replace parts to save money. I only know one way to do things and that’s the right way, which is why I don’t flip cars or houses and would never buy either.

The 2016 Camaro I bought last year that caught fire went for a final bid of $5900 and I restored it in 2 months. With all of the wiring burned at the fuse box it could easily have been a complete basket case in the wrong hands, but I put in the time, effort, research, and resources ($$) to make it a success, and it is a great car with zero issues. You could take it all apart and never know it caught on fire. My son helped me with it and I gave it to him for his 16th birthday in June.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sephx1; 07-26-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:42 PM   #25
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Thanks, as Strange Flavor said it can be tricky. It’s a hobby for me, I guess I discovered that I like to rescue cars lol. It’s a great place to spend my time after dinner instead of on the couch watching TV and having a cocktail. It is possible I’m sure to do it for profit but I am a contractor with better opportunities in the construction field during the day.

You have to assume that there is a good reason why the car was condemned to the auction/salvage yard to begin with. Just because it looks like it needs some minor bodywork and TLC in the photos there’s almost certainly some surprises you don’t see. Even when you go to inspect them in person you can’t see all of the frame and suspension or anything underneath the car.

I bought this car because the ZLE is a pretty sought after car that has a high value and likely will continue to hold its value in the future. Also planning to take it to the track. Of course restored title vehicles will not have as high of a value as a clean title car, but I’m willing to bet if it’s done right and documented someone will want the car and the discounted price is what will make ownership possible for them. With that being said, I personally would be leery of a restored title vehicle purchased to flip because I have seen all of the ways you could cut corners and not replace parts to save money. I only know one way to do things and that’s the right way, which is why I don’t flip cars or houses and would never buy either.

The 2016 Camaro I bought last year that caught fire went for a final bid of $5900 and I restored it in 2 months. With all of the wiring burned at the fuse box it could easily have been a complete basket case in the wrong hands, but I put in the time, effort, research, and resources ($$) to make it a success, and it is a great car with zero issues. My son helped me with it and I gave it to him for his 16th birthday in June.
LOL dad envy. Even has same wheels as my Z

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #26
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
This is my favorite thread…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 08:03 PM   #27
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Thanks, as Strange Flavor said it can be tricky. It’s a hobby for me, I guess I discovered that I like to rescue cars lol. It’s a great place to spend my time after dinner instead of on the couch watching TV and having a cocktail. It is possible I’m sure to do it for profit but I am a contractor with better opportunities in the construction field during the day.

The 2016 Camaro I bought last year that caught fire went for a final bid of $5900 and I restored it in 2 months. With all of the wiring burned at the fuse box it could easily have been a complete basket case in the wrong hands, but I put in the time, effort, research, and resources ($$) to make it a success, and it is a great car with zero issues. My son helped me with it and I gave it to him for his 16th birthday in June.
Man you did a great job on that one, I can imagine the real Zl1 with look just as good. Thanks for posting all the info and most wouldn't have any idea how to perform these rebuilds as you do.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:05 PM   #28
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
This is my favorite thread…
Right? Love the thread and how quickly the journey got going. This car will be back on the road in no time at this rate!
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote