Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #29
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Interesting, I figured you were getting some street miles and mixed use like me. Pointing more and more towards dragging the inside tire on the track.

It really seems like Cem overheated that outside edge and it just delaminated. Cem what does the inside of the RF look like?
Agreed. That's also what I thought. I have to mention, since it's open track format I typically do 30-40 minutes session, Sean mentioned that his sessions are typically 6-20 minutes. Not to mention the off camber, elevation changes (like a rollercoster ride nature) of the ORP also tortures the tires.

I am maxed out at -2.8 and a friend who has about -3.0 on his C7 Z06 also wears the outer edges with R7s. The fact that it's delaminated makes me think overheating is the problem as it also happened on the driver Front side on clockwise configuration (since it puts the load on the left side for right turns).

This may of course not an issue for many people who drive at flatter track layouts and/or much shorter sessions due to session format.
I will try to do more cool down laps and keep rotating from now on.

As I typically alternatve between ORP and Ridge (RMP) and one of them is CW and the other is CCW, I normally don't bother with rotating tires. RRs seemed like it can handle the heat much better than the SC3Rs but that might be also because of the lower cold/starting pressures with the SC3Rs. As you may already know starting with lower pressures will create much more heat than starting higher.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #30
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Could very well be heat, but then it begs a question: why? Such as: too sudden a weight transfer (aka set up, driver, etc). And a good question to ask for sure
sorry for the late response
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Thanks! I guess I didn't click instant email notification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Great write up glamcem, thanks.

Thanks to all for posting follow up opinions/trials.

Following.
glad to hear, you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
I agree with TrackClub, RUQWIKR's tire points towards a tire failure and should not happen. I would take it back to Goodyear and request a replacement.
I doubt that tire warranty would apply for off road/ competition use
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #31
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
I agree with TrackClub, RUQWIKR's tire points towards a tire failure and should not happen. I would take it back to Goodyear and request a replacement.
I think you need to re-read TrackClub’s comment. He says he’s never corded one on the OUTside. There are lots of us that drive this cars very hard, have proper alignments, etc. and cord these regularly on the inside. I’ve done the exact to other tires (G3’s, RE71R, R7, etc.).

Some of TrackClub’s comments were aimed at what he saw in Glacem’s tire pic and discussion.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:58 PM   #32
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
I think you need to re-read TrackClub’s comment. He says he’s never corded one on the OUTside. There are lots of us that drive this cars very hard, have proper alignments, etc. and cord these regularly on the inside. I’ve done the exact to other tires (G3’s, RE71R, R7, etc.).

Some of TrackClub’s comments were aimed at what he saw in Glacem’s tire pic and discussion.
BINGO!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #33
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:

Sorry, I might have misunderstood. But my point is that something with the tire in the picture you posted was not right and it should be warrantied by Goodyear.
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #34
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Sorry, I might have misunderstood. But my point is that something with the tire in the picture you posted was not right and it should be warrantied by Goodyear.
There was nothing wrong with the tire. As mentioned, I am, by far, not the only one that cords fronts like that with multiple brands, sizes, flavors of tires. Let's leave it at that.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #35
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
There was nothing wrong with the tire. As mentioned, I am, by far, not the only one that cords fronts like that with multiple brands, sizes, flavors of tires. Let's leave it at that.
Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. Just wanted to help.

All I wanted to say is that I would take it up with Goodyear, it might be worth a try. I did have a similar issue on a racing car over in Europe a while ago with a well known tire manufacturer and they were thankful that I had sent them the information. Eventually they changed some of the tire construction to avoid the issue from happening and sent me a set of new tires.

If Goodyear produces the 3R tire in those sizes mainly for the 1LE, they might be able to address the issue somewhat. It might be caused by tire construction as much as by the car's geometry.
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #36
TrackClub

Perhaps there is a simple misunderstanding as to WHICH picture is being referred to?
The original one with major trauma on the outside vs the second one, which looks like a normal, well used tire with cords on the inside. Cheers!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #37
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Perhaps there is a simple misunderstanding as to WHICH picture is being referred to?
The original one with major trauma on the outside vs the second one, which looks like a normal, well used tire with cords on the inside. Cheers!
"Normal" destruction on track of fronts at times. Your mileage may vary...

Old 05-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #38
TrackClub

And here is my "normal" albeit G3 vs G3R.

2.6 camber.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #39
RUQWIKR

Quote:
And here is my "normal" albeit G3 vs G3R.

2.6 camber.
I can dig up past G3 pics like that, too, and some more in the future! My youngest son is still running the car on the G3's while he learns. [-2.76ish front camber]
Old 05-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #40
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Typical wear for me
Attached Images

TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #41
TrackClub

Yep another "normal" Albeit id say mine was a bit better (more even across).
Likely because of 1LE vs SS differences.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #42
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
I could clearly use more camber judging by the feathering into the sidewall letters, but then I'd just cord the inside even faster.

Edit: Oh yeah I'm coming for your more even wear with this set I think. Trying to get one more track day out of them if i can ever get on track this year, but I will have a second set of wheels/tires with me in case they cord. Although I've been doing the high pressure thing I mentioned earlier on the street to get this wear.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote