Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
jimbumbee

Drives: 2019 Shock 1LE.
Shock tower brace...

Does a 19 or 20 stock 1LE benefit from a shock tower brace. Thanks.
jimbumbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
This has been answered in other threads here, including an answer from Camaro Chief Engineer Al.O. himself. The short answer is NO. The long answer is that the chassis was designed with more than enough rigidity to make the effects of a strut tower brace negligible. The strut tower brace was designed for the convertible Camaro which needs the reinforcement.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #3
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
This has been answered in other threads here, including an answer from Camaro Chief Engineer Al.O. himself. The short answer is NO. The long answer is that the chassis was designed with more than enough rigidity to make the effects of a strut tower brace negligible. The strut tower brace was designed for the convertible Camaro which needs the reinforcement.
But it does look so cool IMO and if your worried about the small amount of extra weight you can either take off if you’re going to the track course or just finding something else to delete. Give and take, my stock suit case muffler is gone so I am still under the original weight.

Negligible so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant. But still something. Lol
Attached Images

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
But it does look so cool IMO and if your worried about the small amount of extra weight you can either take off if you’re going to the track course or just finding something else to delete. Give and take, my stock suit case muffler is gone so I am still under the original weight.

Negligible so small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant. But still something. Lol
I agree! And it only weighs maybe 2 lbs at most...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
considering there's been a few strut towers that have cracked, it doesn't hurt to have the extra support, especially if tracking it
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
I like the way the brace looks, because it draws attention away from the fuel line that’s ran across the engine cover.

I know you can unclip the fuel line, and tuck it away, but the strut tower brace while looking good, helps in hiding the fuel line. It’s a win/win.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I second that. I bought the standard bare aluminum one and painted it satin black. Looks so good
Old 04-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
I like the way the brace looks, because it draws attention away from the fuel line that’s ran across the engine cover.

I know you can unclip the fuel line, and tuck it away, but the strut tower brace while looking good, helps in hiding the fuel line. It’s a win/win.
Good point, as the most benefit you will gain is improved traction at cars & coffee when the hood's open.

People will stop asking what that line is running over the top of your engine.

"Bruh, is that nosss?!?!"

Old 04-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
Matos1LE

Quote:

Did you own a Civic before rofl? Just kidding, I agree that it does look pretty nice. Your engine bay in general is looking pretty sweet
Old 04-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #10
Matos1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
considering there's been a few strut towers that have cracked, it doesn't hurt to have the extra support, especially if tracking it
As we say in statistics, correlation does not imply causation. We would have to run some tests to know if the cracks are caused by load from the strut towers or simply from poor quality materials, assembly, residual stresses from manufacturing processes etc.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:01 PM   #11
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Did you own a Civic before rofl? Just kidding, I agree that it does look pretty nice. Your engine bay in general is looking pretty sweet
Actually I did own a Civic before, great grocery getter.
Attached Images

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #12
Dragon08

Drives: 2020 1LE
Just got it cuz it looks cool.
Attached Images

Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
Matos1LE

Quote:
Actually I did own a Civic before, great grocery getter.
I want Toyota to sell us the GR Yaris so I can have it as a daily
Old 04-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Not much benefit doesn't mean no benefit. If you don't mind the costs I'm sure whatever small steering feel or stiffness benefits it'll add wont hurt. Probably wouldn't be a good look to say it helps being that it can't fit on a zl1 either imo.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 04-27-2020 at 10:50 PM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote