Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Any concerns regarding inherent mechanical issues with either the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE?

Hey guys looking into both the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE is there anything I should look out for as far as intermittent or mechanical issues with these cars that I should be aware of? I know that every car is going to have their issues or downfalls especially in first year models. Some of the issues I listed below could possibly be rare and never happened to you folks but wanted to hear your thoughts and input if you have experienced any or other common problems among other ZL1/ZLE owners with their cars. While doing some research I have noticed some online complaints regarding some things like…

-Electrical issues such as the car stalling and back up camera not displaying while in reverse.

-Airbags/brakes Brakes seemed hard to depress and caused an accident and airbag did not effectively deploy.

-Possible sunroof malfunction causing the glass to explode and shatter inside the car.

-Power train issues such as hearing a loud clunk under the car and the car having a hard time shifting itself into the next gear causing it to stay high in the RPMs.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Some oil pumps failed on some cars from the 2017 - 2018 model years. Other than that, they are rock solid.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Really rock solid, even with the additional stress of modifications and spirited driving, my ZLE has never missed a beat. Runs strong, stays surprisingly cool despite hot Georgia summers and a smaller lower pulley. No weird noises and minimal oil consumption. Just a rock!
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Really rock solid, even with the additional stress of modifications and spirited driving, my ZLE has never missed a beat. Runs strong, stays surprisingly cool despite hot Georgia summers and a smaller lower pulley. No weird noises and minimal oil consumption. Just a rock!
A stock ZL1 stays very cool, it's incredible. On 90F+ days at tracks in CA, even with long 160 mph WOT runs in traffic down the front straight at Fontana, coolant temps never rise at all.

Oil temps stay very low for track use, and cool down within minutes of track exit. Much rather have a car that you can flog on hot days with no worries, than a car that's 1-2 seconds/lap faster.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
A stock ZL1 stays very cool, it's incredible. On 90F+ days at tracks in CA, even with long 160 mph WOT runs in traffic down the front straight at Fontana, coolant temps never rise at all.

Oil temps stay very low for track use, and cool down within minutes of track exit. Much rather have a car that you can flog on hot days with no worries, than a car that's 1-2 seconds/lap faster.
Amen Brother!
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #6
Junkyardspecial

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I have a 2018 ZLE with 15k hard track miles. Only issues so far were a failed steering rack ( I think that was from a rough road or pot hole)

And a weeping water pump seal. Both were fixed under warranty.

Will buy your GoodYear Supercar 3R Take offs!
Junkyardspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:50 PM   #7
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
No issues... ...best performing car you can by for the $$
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Also - if you are looking for a daily driver go ZL1. if you are looking for a car to track often go 1LE.
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote