Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #729
96MrBass

Drives: GM
No doubt you can check out any fast list's on many different cars and 127 mph is looking very promising.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #730
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
GT 500-----TT V8 800 HP.
Keep dreaming.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #731
obzidian

Drives: 98 camaro turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
The crowd I run with are pretty track oriented. We don't even talk about the Z06 because most of us wouldn't be caught dead in one. It's kinda like comparing a GTR to a Hellcat.

For sake of this discussion it is relevant since the power plant will be used in the new ZL1, but the ZL1 will have a 10 speed and isn't a Corvette so it's really just fun car talk at this point.

I will say this, I drove my Challenger around this weekend and after driving the Camaro for a few days I forget how much room the Challenger has. Totally different drive. My knees hit the door handle and almost hit the console in the Camaro and I'm only 5'10. In the Challenger it's like being in a lazy boy. I love that car. I did give the Camaro some serious beans on some twisties and it still surprises me how well it handles though. Way better than my 370Z. Blessed to have options.

YES!

Ford better do some serious panel reviews before making it a V6. The GT500 is an enthusiasts car and they will likely shoot themselves in the foot if they make it a V6 no matter how fast it is.
I sell these cars for a living (DCJR) and owned a 2014 RT for a few months.

After you drive/own a challenger its hard to get comfortable again in a camaro or a c7.

Not used to having my knees and elbows touch everything when sitting.

The weight penalty sucks but finally the aftermarket is making some headways.

EDIT: dont know if i care if its a ZL1.. this cars keeps me up at night
Old 08-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #732
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Dude, get a life and quit following me around the forum already LOL. It's not my fault your car is slow.
The Challenger is a comfortable driver and an excellent road car. You can go wherever you want in relative comfort. The Camaro leaves comfort behind and I doubt I'd want to drive across the USA in one. I absolutely love the C7 and if not for an old Chevelle I'd consider the ZL1 or the Vette due to it's lighter weight. BUT, that Mopar is a nice car albeit heavy. And "still" quicker than ZL1 to date..
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #733
396ssrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I think we will quickly see some times in the 10s fully stock. Can't wait to hear the track times on various tracks, this car will definitely be the best value out there.
Depends on dealer markup.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #734
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Depends on dealer markup.
I had the 2nd allocation from my dealer on a 2012 turned 2013. I paid MSRP.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #735
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
The Challenger is a comfortable driver and an excellent road car. You can go wherever you want in relative comfort. The Camaro leaves comfort behind and I doubt I'd want to drive across the USA in one. I absolutely love the C7 and if not for an old Chevelle I'd consider the ZL1 or the Vette due to it's lighter weight. BUT, that Mopar is a nice car albeit heavy. And "still" quicker than ZL1 to date..
I guess you have never rode in a ZL1 cross country, they are fantastic and extremely comfortable.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:56 AM   #736
396ssrat

Quote:
I guess you have never rode in a ZL1 cross country, they are fantastic and extremely comfortable.
I have not.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:09 AM   #737
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:

My biggest complaint about the '15 ZL1 I had was lack of headroom due to the sunroof. I have a long torso and even with the seat all the way down, unless I had my seat back overly reclined and the seat as low as it would go, I would hit my head on the roof if the car hit a bump. Wearing a helmet was even worse.

But - the seat comfort and overall roominess of the car were fantastic. An all day drive in it was a very pleasurable experience in the ZL1.

I've also recently done back to back drives of a 2SS '16 Camaro and a '16 Scat Pack Challenger. The newer Camaro is a little tighter than the Gen 5 but not overly so but the Challenger's roominess is unsurpassed. The seats in both were very comfortable but the Challenger's were much larger. I really think that if you had a bench seat in the car you could seat three people up front!

Also, the new Camaro feels like it has more usable headroom vs the 5th Gen Camaro. I don't know what the exact reason is but I had no issue with lack of headroom in the '16 (with a Sunroof) vs what it was like in my '15 ZL1.

But all that roominess in the Dodge comes with a big weight penalty so there you go... But, I still may own one some day.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #738
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
I was here way before you speedy. What was the fat kitty's Ring time, VIR time, Laguna time etc.? When Dodge comes into the 21 century and gets out of the basement in reliability it might be a discussion. Right now it doesn't even enter the discussion when it comes reality of today's cars.
Understand most could care less about Ring times, VIR times, Laguna times, sure this makes for great reading and internet chatter but 98% of owners will never bring their car to any of these venues. Right now the Fat Kittys along with the Viper are kicking Chevy's behind. Hell the 8+ yro Challenger design had more sales than the brand new 6th Gen last month.

Presently Dodge has the fastest straightline cars in their segment, and the fastest track car in their segment and until Chevy can do something to change that Chevy is playing catch up.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #739
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Understand most could care less about Ring times, VIR times, Laguna times, sure this makes for great reading and internet chatter but 98% of owners will never bring their car to any of these venues. Right now the Fat Kittys along with the Viper are kicking Chevy's behind. Hell the 8+ yro Challenger design had more sales than the brand new 6th Gen last month.

Presently Dodge has the fastest straightline cars in their segment, and the fastest track car in their segment and until Chevy can do something to change that Chevy is playing catch up.
No one trick cat for me, I want a whole car not part of one.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #740
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
For many who don't care to just race between lights and go down the strip, we want superior handling, we want all around performance; so it does matter how well they do at the Ring, VIR etc., as these speak directly to how well the car handles, braking, acceleration, balance etc. = overall performance.

It is interesting that, it appears on this forum, (please let me know if i'm wrong) that none of the HC owners or pundits care about road course times ( i think we know why). on Camaro6 you have obviously found many folks who are let's say "on the camaro side" for lack of a better phrase, who will praise the HC for it's ability to go 1320 feet in a straight line. You will surely find some resistance when someone says that the HC will "walk" A Z06, or that "at my track nobody beats my buddies HC"...but WE ALL know how well the HC does in this regard, and give it due props.

It is too bad, at least according to the few HC enthusiasts here on Camaro6, that 1320 is the only thing that matters, and that until GM's products can easily start "Walking" a HC down the strip, that apparently they just aren't worth discussing.

Just my impressions of the discussion so far.

p.s. I also find it interesting now that trap speeds etc. have been released the focus seems to have shifted to how comfortable the HC is vs. a Camaro and that now seems to be the deciding factor on which car is better.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #741
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
For many who don't care to just race between lights and go down the strip, we want superior handling, we want all around performance; so it does matter how well they do at the Ring, VIR etc., as these speak directly to how well the car handles, braking, acceleration, balance etc. = overall performance.

It is interesting that, it appears on this forum, (please let me know if i'm wrong) that none of the HC owners or pundits care about road course times ( i think we know why). on Camaro6 you have obviously found many folks who are let's say "on the camaro side" for lack of a better phrase, who will praise the HC for it's ability to go 1320 feet in a straight line. You will surely find some resistance when someone says that the HC will "walk" A Z06, or that "at my track nobody beats my buddies HC"...but WE ALL know how well the HC does in this regard, and give it due props.

It is too bad, at least according to the few HC enthusiasts here on Camaro6, that 1320 is the only thing that matters, and that until GM's products can easily start "Walking" a HC down the strip, that apparently they just aren't worth discussing.

p.s. I also find it interesting now that trap speeds etc. have been released the focus seems to have shifted to how comfortable the HC is vs. a Camaro and that now seems to be the deciding factor on which car is better.
Well said. Just about all of us here know that the Hellcat is a great performer at the strip, no doubt about that. We all know the ZL1 is going to be a great performer at the strip and track. Gonna be an awesome all around performer

Yes the hellcat has the bragging rights for the high horsepower car. But the ZL1 will be no slouch due to its lower weight. When these two finally line up at the local drag strip it will be epic. Every car enthusiast will be watching. The ZL1 will win some and the hellcat will win some. Yes they will be very close at the track but I do think the ZL1 will be more consistent with its larger tires but time will tell.

That said I respect both cars for what they are made for and the days we are living in I believe is the pinnacle of the horsepower wars.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #742
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

Its not just with HC owners. Go into the Camaro5 ZL1 forum and what are the main topics of discussion, 1/4, and street performance. There is very little discussion in regards to track work. I suspect the same will be the case with the new ZL1 the conversation will be more geared toward street/strip work than track.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote