#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Couple thoughts...

1) I disagree that the 8.5 fronts are going to be a limiting factor. The cars balance is completely different than the car it replaces. Driving dynamics are completely different too. Weight really does play a big part, where it is, and the balance. Yes, more tire *always* helps, but I'm thinking the capability of the Gen6 SS is about the same as the '15 1LE...even with the skinnier tires.

2) New tire compounds in 19" sizes will be a determining factor, 20's just won't be there yet. Plus, 19s will be lighter, both tire and wheel, while being able to keep the width the same.

Then there's the third: "We shall see."

Transmission? I'm thinking the A8 may be a bit peaky in the high revs.... and may unsettle the car where you don't want it to ... where the middle gears in the M6 put you in the sweet torque spot for the digs. Autox isn't about HP, and being at the top of the rev range in a heavy torquey car. Prosolo from a dig, the A8 has an advantage, anywhere else, it's a drivers race.

--kC

Last edited by Imp; 01-19-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Quick question as I am ordering on Monday- Will optioning with a blade spoiler push the Camaro out of the FS category? It really doesn't offer a performance advantage, but is LPO. Does that also mean that the 6 piston front brakes put the Camaro out of FS as well?

I'm not looking to compete outside of my local club, but who knows how I will feel in a couple years. Thanks for the responses!

Overall options:
2SS, NPP, MRC (daily driver primarily), 56V wheels, 6MT, black interior, suede kneepads, black bowties

Possible options:
Blade spoiler, 6 piston brakes, nav (I don't see why I need it if I have an iphone already)
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #17
mcynet

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
BTW the 2016 BMW m3 should be in AS according to SCCA.

(OLD CAR)2014 Camaro 1LE, 2SS, NPP Dual Mode Exhaust, K&N Air Filter. E3 Catch Can. z28 Grill, and 1LE Badging
mcynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 PM   #18
Z3papa

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP
He guys. Good to see this thread and things getting organized. While I one of the other FS cars, I like to check in and see what people are thinking/feeling. I may even consider selling my car for a SS1 1LE if that comes into FS which is as yet undetermined. I'm sure I'll see you out there at events in the Midwest.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting irish View Post
Quick question as I am ordering on Monday- Will optioning with a blade spoiler push the Camaro out of the FS category? It really doesn't offer a performance advantage, but is LPO. Does that also mean that the 6 piston front brakes put the Camaro out of FS as well?

I'm not looking to compete outside of my local club, but who knows how I will feel in a couple years. Thanks for the responses!
Locally? Who cares? (The people you beat may...)

Nationally, the spoiler will kick you out of FS, and so will the 6pots.

--kC
Old 02-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #20
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcynet View Post
BTW the 2016 BMW m3 should be in AS according to SCCA.
Yep. The F80 (M3) is in AS.

--kC

Last edited by Imp; 02-16-2016 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Fixed classing typo
Old 02-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Locally? Who cares? (The people you beat may...)

Nationally, the spoiler will kick you out of FS, and so will the 6pots.

--kC
Yeah, I decided against those options when ordering a few weeks ago. I looked at the rulebook a little bit further. Definitely interested to see what category the 1LE is in...
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #22
Memphis43

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting irish View Post
Yeah, I decided against those options when ordering a few weeks ago. I looked at the rulebook a little bit further. Definitely interested to see what category the 1LE is in...
I am eager to see this as well.
Memphis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #23
Imp
Dodges all the cones

It's up in the air this far out. I do understand there was a bit of discussion with the SS staying in FS and it stayed, but the 1LE? There are some that think the 1LE would be competitive with the 350, which is in AS. No one knows until it goes through the paces.

So, it could go to AS vs the 350, or move the 350 down to FS... which screws the current (and soon to be popular) SS.

--kC
Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #24
Imp
Dodges all the cones

... Going to wait until the 1LE before I get back into the game. Thought long and hard about it this weekend and it wouldn't make sense to take a $5-$8k hit in depreciation to turn around and get the 1LE next year. So... yeah.

--kC
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #25
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Realistically I could see the 1LE going to BS, and then moving the GT350(non-R) down from AS to race with it. I think they could be competitive there, without being over dogs.

The 1LE would certainly redefine FS if it were to go there. It would immediately kill the M3 and GTPP, I just can't see the SAC doing it. I'd take the hit and buy one on the spot if that happened, otherwise I'll spend the same $10k to run my SS in STP where I think it would be a hoot.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #26
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Realistically I could see the 1LE going to BS, and then moving the GT350(non-R) down from AS to race with it. I think they could be competitive there, without being over dogs.

The 1LE would certainly redefine FS if it were to go there. It would immediately kill the M3 and GTPP, I just can't see the SAC doing it. I'd take the hit and buy one on the spot if that happened, otherwise I'll spend the same $10k to run my SS in STP where I think it would be a hoot.
Yeah, don't think I haven't thought of STP, but I've written those classes off because after 15 years, they're still changing the rules in them every single year.

--kC
Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #27
BigEnos
Planning stages...

Drives: 1995 Z28,2014 Ford Focus ST
I am drafting a letter to the SEB regarding the 1LE going to FS, possibly with the GT350 in tow. I think that the perception of the M3 (a $50K used car) being the car to have in FS is going to be extremely detrimental to the class going forward. I get that the GT350 being the top dog would be a similar, if much more interesting, problem. I know it's not the answer the SS buyers will want, either.
BigEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #28
Z3papa

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEnos View Post
I am drafting a letter to the SEB regarding the 1LE going to FS, possibly with the GT350 in tow. I think that the perception of the M3 (a $50K used car) being the car to have in FS is going to be extremely detrimental to the class going forward. I get that the GT350 being the top dog would be a similar, if much more interesting, problem. I know it's not the answer the SS buyers will want, either.
That's a major misconception of the M3 relative to cost. You can easily get a E90/92 M3 for as low as $25k to $35k with all the right boxes ticked. To say it is a $50k used car is simply inaccurate. More importantly, the performance capabilities of the 2017 1LE and the current GT350 are substantially higher. I know there is a desire to have a "pony car" at the head of FS, STP, CAM-C and every other class including ESP, but there has to be a realistic end to the constant arms race.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote