Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-29-2024, 10:46 PM   #1
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Belt rubbing on supercharger cooling pump

Not sure why this is happening, I have a larger pulley/ATI balancer which reduced clearance some but also noticed that if I grab the pump and pull it upwards there’s some give to it even though the mounting bolts are tight. You can see some green on the pump mounting bracket where it is rubbing:
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:08 AM   #2
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Maynbe wrong belt size? If it's got a lot of slack might be enough to smack on hard accel or decel
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 10:27 AM   #3
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
I recall a similar issue... But I think it was my fault, and didn't seat the HX pump in the cradle properly. So I ended up using some large black zip ties to hold it in place, so any movement in the belt / flexible HX mounts would prevent contact. Worked like a charm.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:28 PM   #4
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
I recall a similar issue... But I think it was my fault, and didn't seat the HX pump in the cradle properly. So I ended up using some large black zip ties to hold it in place, so any movement in the belt / flexible HX mounts would prevent contact. Worked like a charm.
Thanks. I zip tied mine down and will see what happens.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:05 PM   #5
Sephx1

Well the zip ties didn’t prevent the belt from rubbing through the top of the intercooler pump and springing a leak. Apparently the belt is stretching and flapping enough to hit the pump. Removed the pump today and will order a replacement tomorrow. Not sure what to do to keep it from happening again.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2024, 06:27 AM   #6
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Something has to be out of tolerance? I have a similar issue (still do), where the adapter plate on my Soler throttle body to the supercharger snout makes the throttle body protrude out just enough that it rubs the black plastic cover on the throttle body electronics. I had a friend make me a piece of stainless that fits around that area. It's kind of like a "L" shape and the throttle body bolt holds it in place. Now the belt rubbing is over a smooth stainless steal surface vs cutting into the plastic of the throttle body and fraying the inside of the belts edge. This reminds me, Soler owes me a different adapter plate! I need to remind them of this! Good luck!
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:58 PM   #7
RHD ZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
Something has to be out of tolerance? I have a similar issue (still do), where the adapter plate on my Soler throttle body to the supercharger snout makes the throttle body protrude out just enough that it rubs the black plastic cover on the throttle body electronics. I had a friend make me a piece of stainless that fits around that area. It's kind of like a "L" shape and the throttle body bolt holds it in place. Now the belt rubbing is over a smooth stainless steal surface vs cutting into the plastic of the throttle body and fraying the inside of the belts edge. This reminds me, Soler owes me a different adapter plate! I need to remind them of this! Good luck!
I had a similar issue with Soler’s adaptor plate, I ended up having the LT5’s throttle body’s holes elongated to be able to bolt onto the LT4 s/charger without the adaptor plate therefor not being indexed off center and causing my rubbing issue. As my s/charger is not ported I had a heat rejecting glass filled nylon plate made that has the outer profile of the LT5 throttle body (black part in pic mounted between the T/B and blower) and the internal is machined with a tapper from 95mm (LT5 T/B size) to 87mm (stock LT4 s/chargers mouth opening size) to allow the butterfly to open without fouling on the LT4’s non ported 87mm opening. The plate is only 5mm (approx 0.200") thick. As the T/B is now no longer indexed off center due to the supplied Soler adaptor plate there are no issues with belt rubbing. Another bonus is that the T/B is very noticeably cooler to touch vs the blower as the heat from the blower isn’t transferred into the T/B as it would be with direct alloy on alloy contact.
Attached Images

RHD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 01:34 PM   #8
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD ZL1 View Post
I had a similar issue with Soler’s adaptor plate, I ended up having the LT5’s throttle body’s holes elongated to be able to bolt onto the LT4 s/charger without the adaptor plate therefor not being indexed off center and causing my rubbing issue. As my s/charger is not ported I had a heat rejecting glass filled nylon plate made that has the outer profile of the LT5 throttle body (black part in pic mounted between the T/B and blower) and the internal is machined with a tapper from 95mm (LT5 T/B size) to 87mm (stock LT4 s/chargers mouth opening size) to allow the butterfly to open without fouling on the LT4’s non ported 87mm opening. The plate is only 5mm (approx 0.200") thick. As the T/B is now no longer indexed off center due to the supplied Soler adaptor plate there are no issues with belt rubbing. Another bonus is that the T/B is very noticeably cooler to touch vs the blower as the heat from the blower isn’t transferred into the T/B as it would be with direct alloy on alloy contact.
That composite spacer/insulator makes very good sense. Aluminum is an incredible heat transfer substrate, and thank you Australia for millenniums of above 100°F temps to forcibly create the knowledge to help solve engine performance/detonation problems in ambient high heat situation.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:48 PM   #9
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD ZL1 View Post
Very smart idea !!!! Good to have this idea!
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE
2023_ZL1-AUTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:19 PM   #10
Sephx1

When I replaced the pump I found an easy solution. I bent the bracket forward slightly so that the pump was not right below the belt. So far so good.
Attached Images